C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

TQ: Intermittent Temp Sender Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default TQ: Intermittent Temp Sender Failure?

NOT Corvette... but Corvette related.

I put a new VDO 250* temp gauge in my 37 Chevy. I also installed a new VDO 250* sender. Life was good. Everything worked fine,

UNTIL... I got back from vacation. The car had sat for about 3 weeks. Started the car... the gauge went to 150* and then fell back below the 100* mark. Wouldn't move as the car warmed up. On several subsequent starts with a cold engine -------> same thing.

On subsequent starts with a warm engine, the gauge stays at 100* and won't move.

SO, I grounded the sender wire... and the gauge pegs to 250*. That tells me that the wiring and the gauge itself are OK.

I've fooled with a lot of temp senders in my day, and they either work or they don't work. I've never run across one that failed like this one is doing.

I ordered a new sender from VDO, but have a hard time believing that the one in the car would fail after ~2 months.

Thoughts?

TIA.

Chuck

PS: The car DOES have a 327 motor, and ALL 327 motors are Corvette motors.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Assumming there is enough coolant flow reaching the sender, ground the body of the sender (to check that it is properly grounded through the threads - I have never seen one that had this condition, but......).

I have a "resistor box" that I can bring over and we can check the circuit, plus put on an ohm meter to check resistance change at the sender (when cold and hot).

Welcome back.

John

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-14-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Assumming there is enough coolant flow reaching the sender, ground the body of the sender (to check that it is properly grounded through the threads - I have never seen one that had this condition, but......).

I have a "resistor box" that I can bring over and we can check the circuit, plus put on an ohm meter to check resistance change at the sender (when cold and hot).

Welcome back.

John
I took John's suggestion and grounded the sender body... and the gauge is working again.

Hard to believe I'd "lose" a ground on a sender that has been installed for 2+ months.

So, I put a 3/4" box wrench on it and bopped it about another 1/4 turn. We'll see what shakes out. And no, I never put teflon tape or thread sealer on sender units.

John is going to stop over later this afternoon with some of his electrical test equipment to check things out.

Yep, John lives about 1.5 miles from me as the crow flies.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Problem is that the sender is threaded into an aluminum sender block, sandwiched between the intake manifold and the thermostat housing, and it has gaskets (that are also electrical insulators) on top & bottom.

Therefore the only path to ground is through the stud shafts, from the thermostat housing, through the sender block, and into the intake. Chuck needs to add a ground strap from one of the nuts on a through stud (or elsewhere on the engine) to that aluminum sender block. Otherwise, he is relying on minimal (if any) electrical contact between those studs and the sender block.

John (Plasticman)

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-14-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Problem is that the sender is threaded into an aluminum sender block, sandwiched between the intake manifold and the thermostat housing, and it has gaskets (that are also electrical insulators) on top & bottom.

Therefore the only path to ground is through the stud shafts, from the thermostat housing, through the sender block, and into the intake. Chuck needs to add a ground strap from one of the nuts on a through stud (or elsewhere on the engine) to that aluminum sender block. Otherwise, he is relying on minimal (if any) electrical contact between those studs and the sender block.

John (Plasticman)
I'll rig up a ground strap of some type. Gotta think about the best way to do it. Thanks for your help.

I still find it odd that it worked for 2 months... THEN this "issue" arises.

Get notified of new replies

To TQ: Intermittent Temp Sender Failure?

Quick Reply: TQ: Intermittent Temp Sender Failure?