C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 elec. problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:57 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Default 63 elec. problem

What do I need to check ? Keep in mind that everything WAS working.

Now when I turn on the parking lights the turn signal lights in the gage cluster go on awa the high beam indicator.

The switch that controls the headlight motors does nothing except light up the turn signal indicators. When I turn on the signal lights both indicators flash and the high beam light goes on. but the signal lights work both front and back. This is crazy. anyone know which way to go with this.. Thanks
Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by roberts427
What do I need to check ? Keep in mind that everything WAS working.

Now when I turn on the parking lights the turn signal lights in the gage cluster go on awa the high beam indicator.

The switch that controls the headlight motors does nothing except light up the turn signal indicators. When I turn on the signal lights both indicators flash and the high beam light goes on. but the signal lights work both front and back. This is crazy. anyone know which way to go with this.. Thanks
First check the fuses one at a time. Make sure they are good
Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It sounds like a classic ground problem. When you put on the park lights, the bulb seeks a ground in the socket, but if it can not find one it then will use the signal light filament and travel back to the cluster through the indicator bulb and then ground to the cluster.
Check and clean all the grounds in the front.
Joe
Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I ha a similar issue with a bulb that wasn't seated properly in the socket
Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
It sounds like a classic ground problem. When you put on the park lights, the bulb seeks a ground in the socket, but if it can not find one it then will use the signal light filament and travel back to the cluster through the indicator bulb and then ground to the cluster.
Check and clean all the grounds in the front.
Joe
That's what it was. A freakin ground. when I painted the frame I allied 2 coats of expoxy primer plus the black. So the bolts that are bolted underneath from the frame to the radiator support were not letting it make contact. After I removed the bolts and ground down the area under the bolts and put a couple of star washers everything is good again. Can,t understand how it was working and just went bad. ??

Thanks for your response. robert

Last edited by roberts427; 06-15-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 elec. problem

Quick Reply: 63 elec. problem