C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Did they Restamp the block on this SWC or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:22 PM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Did they Restamp the block on this SWC or Not ?

Vin # 30837S116683

Here is the link to the seller that previously owned the SWC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Chevrol...-/191716141220

Here is the link to the current seller who happens to be Classic Cars of Sarasota
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...m=201613344495

Your thoughts ?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:17 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

6 months ago it was advertised with a replacement engine and now it has the "matching numbers" engine. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's a restamp. Funny how the latest seller doesn't post a pic. of the stamp pad.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 AM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Classic Cars of Sarasota

This is the same firm that offered for sale a 67 silver/red L79 coupe a couple of years ago. They advertised it as a very rare limited production original car. I did some research and found the car actually possessed a Lynndale Blue trim tag. The owner of the place said he wasn't aware of that. Two weeks after our conversation he modified the eBay description of the car, and it then miraculously acquired a silver/red trim tag. Sooner or later his crap is going to catch up on him.

Originally Posted by HS Vette
Vin # 30837S116683

Here is the link to the current seller who happens to be Classic Cars of Sarasota

Your thoughts ?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by HS Vette
Vin # 30837S116683

Your thoughts ?
Hugo-
Good catch!!!!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Years ago we assembled a number of real stamps and a number of re-stamps. We then had a group of senior NCRS judge try to determine which were the fakes. Basically they missed a lot of the time. Good re-stamps are that good.

Just think about all of the counterfeit L88s and '57 fuelie cars. Some of the counterfeits have Bloomington Gold certificates. Yep - they're that good.

The only solution is paperwork. You want paperwork with the car. Even that can be manufactured but most shops don't go that far. Yet.

Richard Newton
Jacks and Jackstands
Old 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM
mattnSD
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Years ago we assembled a number of real stamps and a number of re-stamps. We then had a group of senior NCRS judge try to determine which were the fakes. Basically they missed a lot of the time. Good re-stamps are that good.

Just think about all of the counterfeit L88s and '57 fuelie cars. Some of the counterfeits have Bloomington Gold certificates. Yep - they're that good.

The only solution is paperwork. You want paperwork with the car. Even that can be manufactured but most shops don't go that far. Yet.

Richard Newton
Jacks and Jackstands
Just out of curiosity...who's "we"? Im assuming if you use the word "we", you include yourself in this group you speak of. It takes a lot of effort to "assemble" restamped cars just for a fun test for NCRS judges. Let me guess...you "disassembled" them after the study? Pretty sure that study never happened. And I'm even more sure that you don't want to be associated with fake cars in a public forum like this.

Last edited by mattnSD; 06-29-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:52 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by mattnSD
Just out of curiosity...who's "we"? Im assuming if you use the word "we", you include yourself in this group you speak of. It takes a lot of effort to "assemble" restamped cars just for a fun test for NCRS judges. Let me guess...you "disassembled" them after the study? Pretty sure that study never happened. And I'm even more sure that you don't want to be associated with fake cars in a public forum like this.
Why would he be afraid to be associated with fake cars when he is the one exposing that even the NRCS cannot tell the difference from a original car and a fake. He is not selling or faking cars just getting a few together and presenting them to judges. From all the stories I have read on this forum about restamped cars and false trim tags it should not be that hard, this thread even shows one.

And he is 100% correct on paperwork but even that can be falsified, this is just more information for the prospective buyer to look for and verify.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 06-29-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 AM
mattnSD
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Why would he be afraid to be associated with fake cars when he is the one exposing that even the NRCS cannot tell the difference from a original car and a fake. He is not selling or faking cars just getting a few together and presenting them to judges. From all the stories I have read on this forum about restamped cars and false trim tags it should not be that hard, this thread even shows one.

And he is 100% correct on paperwork but even that can be falsified, this is just more information for the prospective buyer to look for and verify.
"Assembled" can be taken in many ways. I don't know the guy from Adam but "getting a few together" to compare would have been more clear.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Before I spent big money on an advertised original engine car I would pay for the services of the expert who has years of experience and an extensive picture reference library.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
6 months ago it was advertised with a replacement engine and now it has the "matching numbers" engine. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's a restamp. Funny how the latest seller doesn't post a pic. of the stamp pad.
Just for discussion's sake, if the first ad says they had a 63 replacement motor and the second ad said the numbers matched, I would not necessarily have an issue. If people would understand that "numbers match" mean the numbers on the pad match the numbers on the VIN, and do not necessarily mean the engine is "original," they would have less problems when considering cars.

However, in this particular case, the second ad says this:

"... has been looked at at and know untampered. engine pad had broach markings with clear stampings..."

Outside of the unintelligible English, I think they are making the point that the pad has been examined by "somebody" (??) and is original without actually using those words. That's a reach seeing how it would seem they are the restampers. That's pretty hinky.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:54 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default We R All Nutts

Too bad we are all nuts about having numbers matching, original born with , bla bla bla . It sure takes the average guy out of the market .
This is what happens when big money gets involved in anything . I just bought a puppy, they wanted $ 200.00 extra fore paperwork ! I passed on the paper .
Old 06-29-2016, 03:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by 63split63
Too bad we are all nuts about having numbers matching, original born with , bla bla bla . It sure takes the average guy out of the market .
This is what happens when big money gets involved in anything . I just bought a puppy, they wanted $ 200.00 extra fore paperwork ! I passed on the paper .
And so did the puppy!
Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Now wait a minute, who pissed on the paper, your or the dog.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Exactly, If there is more money to be made with fraud, it is accepted as a good business practice and not a crime in our fine Capitalistic country.
I am new to Corvettes, and went nuts with the numbers for a couple of months as R66 has all of the numbers (but are they real???). Also, as the car had set for a number of years, it could have been determined a BARN FIND. I learned here on the forum that I ruined the car by washing, waxing, also by cleaning, and painting the engine, fixing the trans, new clutch, etc.
That's when I determined I am not a Corvette type I gear head, I am a driver. Now that I have given up the paranoia, I am loving the hell out of driving it. By the time I spent thousands restoring it, it would be worthless as every C2 out there is "Numbers Matching" with original Documentation.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R66
Exactly, If there is more money to be made with fraud, it is accepted as a good business practice and not a crime in our fine Capitalistic country.
I am new to Corvettes, and went nuts with the numbers for a couple of months as R66 has all of the numbers (but are they real???). Also, as the car had set for a number of years, it could have been determined a BARN FIND. I learned here on the forum that I ruined the car by washing, waxing, also by cleaning, and painting the engine, fixing the trans, new clutch, etc.
That's when I determined I am not a Corvette type I gear head, I am a driver. Now that I have given up the paranoia, I am loving the hell out of driving it. By the time I spent thousands restoring it, it would be worthless as every C2 out there is "Numbers Matching" with original Documentation.
There's lots of folks playing with collecting numbers who have no idea what a Vette runs or drives like.

The operative word is "collecting". That means putting it on a shelf (in a garage) to look at and show off. Like never taking the toy out of the box so you don't mess up the original packaging. Those folks never know what it's like to play with the toy.

I'll play with mine and have fun with it. There's a lot of "mismatched" stuff on it...who cares...it's fast!

JIM
Old 06-30-2016, 04:43 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I love the perfectly restored cars and have great respect and admiration for the owners who spent countless hours and $$$s recreating the Picasso quality art that these old cars deserve. They deserve the bragging rights. They don't deserve sharing those bragging rights with the fraudulent clones.
I also can't blame them for hiding them away and protecting them. I pity them for not being able to drive them without fear of losing their cherished possession to an accident, theft, or vandalism.
I also have the same respect and admiration for those that drive and enjoy the "Ugly Sisters" and "Resto Rods" that would have been "Junkyard Queens" if not taken in, updated, modified, and driven for enjoyment by those that don't try to pass them off as an all original "Miss America".
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The existence of a market for any kind of valuable object almost always encourages the production of counterfeits. It happens with drugs, banknotes, and designer handbags.

Clones are nothing new. They've been around for decades. Ask about how many Mercedes SSKs have been cloned.

Then we had the guy in Switzerland that was doing Ferrari GTOs. He ended up with a bullet in his head.

Clones are really common in the art world. The really skilled people break into your home and hang the clone on the wall and leave with the original. Most owners seldom notice the difference.

We haven't had too much of a problem in the Corvette world because the cars aren't worth that much. Why would you clone a $500,000 Corvette when you could clone a $10 million Ferrari?

Some people feel that half of the international art market consists of fakes. That makes Corvette collecting a pretty safe thing by comparison.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 07-01-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Did they Restamp the block on this SWC or Not ?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
The existence of a market for any kind of valuable object almost always encourages the production of counterfeits. It happens with drugs, banknotes, and designer handbags.

Clones are nothing new. They've been around for decades. Ask about how many Mercedes SSKs have been cloned.

Then we had the guy in Switzerland that was doing Ferrari GTOs. He ended up with a bullet in his head.

Clones are really common in the art world. The really skilled people break into your home and hang the clone on the wall and leave with the original. Most owners seldom notice the difference.

We haven't had too much of a problem in the Corvette world because the cars aren't worth that much. Why would you clone a $500,000 Corvette when you could clone a $10 million Ferrari?

Some people feel that half of the international art market consists of fakes. That makes Corvette collecting a pretty safe thing by comparison.

Richard Newton
Richard, I think we probably had this conversation at Cypress Gardens with Vette Net about 20 years ago.

It is easy to make a Corvette. All the pieces exist. Almost everything bolts on or off. Everyone is an expert, so when they see the car, they "know" it is correct. And it takes a lot less initial investment. Back then, you took a $20,000 car, a $5000 engine, a couple thousand in labor, and suddenly you had a $40,000 or more car. Nice profit for a week's work or so. They were all built by Average Joe workers on an assembly line and with even a bit of effort, most can do the same in a decently equipped garage, unlike handforming panels and creating parts from scratch and so on with some of the exotic cars.

In this case, they bought a split window for $70,000, rebuilt (maybe) the spare engine for $2500, did a bit of custom machine work on it (stamps), spent a couple hundred in labor changing engines, and look to make $25,000 profit at least.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

All it takes is one uninformed/naive buyer and the "creator" of the car makes a profit. The best defense is knowledge. Get it, hire it, or keep your money in your pocket.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:05 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Picky, picky, picky......especially when the seller went all-out to upgrade to 1964 seat belts.....

Quick Reply: Did they Restamp the block on this SWC or Not ?