C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

oil pressure line

Old 07-01-2016, 01:39 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure line

Good afternoon!

i installed the factory cooper oil pressure line, but i was wondering if the aftermarket style cooper lines will work with the factory gauge? the aftermarket uses a ferell instead of the fitting with the "crush" GM style fitting.
i messed up my GM fitting, and the only way to get it is to buy another complete oil line kit.
i hope this make sense lol

have a great weekend!
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Line

Nope---You need that GM style fitting at both ends. Make sure you use a flare nut type wrench on it at both ends. You also have to hold the brass fitting at the gauge with an open end wrench to keep from twisting the gauge innards. While you're at it, hold the adapter at the engine end with a flare nut wrench also.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 07-01-2016 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mattyg92 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:45 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyg92
Good afternoon!

i installed the factory cooper oil pressure line, but i was wondering if the aftermarket style cooper lines will work with the factory gauge? the aftermarket uses a ferell instead of the fitting with the "crush" GM style fitting.
i messed up my GM fitting, and the only way to get it is to buy another complete oil line kit.
i hope this make sense lol

have a great weekend!
The gage is only looking at pressure and will work fine. All you need is to make sure it does not leak, (the new line). Dom
The following users liked this post:
mattyg92 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:46 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Thank you Ron! I ordered a new kit, I wish we could get just the fittings, at least the kit is cheap!

Originally Posted by rongold
Nope---You need that GM style fitting at both ends. Make sure you use a flare nut type wrench on it at both ends. You also have to hold the brass fitting at the gauge with an open end wrench to keep from twisting the gauge innards. While you're at it, hold the adapter at the engine end with a flare nut wrench also.

RON
Old 07-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Thank you Ron! I ordered a new kit, I wish we could get just the fittings, at least the kit is cheap!
Did yu check Paragon or LICS??

The oil line should also be copper-plated steel............not pure copper.

Larry
Old 07-01-2016, 02:57 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Did yu check Paragon or LICS??

The oil line should also be copper-plated steel............not pure copper.

Larry
Do NOT use pure copper, unless you want to bathe everything in oil when it eventually cracks. As far as the fittings go, they are available separately with the correct size 5/16" hex.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It's important what rongold stated about holding the nut and the brass block. If the brass block moves, your gauge needle may or may not set on "0". As you tighten the line and hold the brass block, check the position of the needle. You may need to tweak the nut and the tension on the line. Dennis
Old 07-01-2016, 06:46 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
It's important what rongold stated about holding the nut and the brass block. If the brass block moves, your gauge needle may or may not set on "0". As you tighten the line and hold the brass block, check the position of the needle. You may need to tweak the nut and the tension on the line. Dennis
Good to know! I will check the needle position first to make sure it's at 0
The kit is from zip products so whatever it's made out of, I don't know. I messed up the thread on the nut because I didn't move the park brake bracket out of the way. Dumb me for not taking 2 bolts out
Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Originally Posted by 1snake
Do NOT use pure copper, unless you want to bathe everything in oil when it eventually cracks. As far as the fittings go, they are available separately with the correct size 5/16" hex.
Where can I get the extra fittings? Or are you referring to the ferrel and fitting style?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Those fittings are sold separately I just bought 3 at a napa store. I went to 3 different auto parts stores and talked to 2 different parts men who had been in the business for years and the last one I talked to said yes we have them separately and after one of the other parts people looked for the part and couldn't find it he went to a parts book found the # and pulled the fitting out of the same ben the 1st parts man looked thru. If I can find the slip I'll post the part #. Jeff
Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Where can I get the extra fittings? Or are you referring to the ferrel and fitting style?
I'm talking about the identical ones that some refer to as the "GM proprietary" ones. Some suppliers sell ones that have a 3/8" hex. The originals had a 5/16" hex which are the ones that are readily available through your local hydraulic supply store, at least mine has them.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Originally Posted by quahog
Those fittings are sold separately I just bought 3 at a napa store. I went to 3 different auto parts stores and talked to 2 different parts men who had been in the business for years and the last one I talked to said yes we have them separately and after one of the other parts people looked for the part and couldn't find it he went to a parts book found the # and pulled the fitting out of the same ben the 1st parts man looked thru. If I can find the slip I'll post the part #. Jeff
Yes please post the info! Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:50 PM
mattyg92
Racer

Originally Posted by 1snake
I'm talking about the identical ones that some refer to as the "GM proprietary" ones. Some suppliers sell ones that have a 3/8" hex. The originals had a 5/16" hex which are the ones that are readily available through your local hydraulic supply store, at least mine has them.
Thank you for the info!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 AM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes please post the info! Thanks again!
It was a NAPA store currently owned by Wheelock's auto group. The slip says the part # is 6100 x 2 the description is fitting and they were $1.42 each I bought 3. The hex may not be the same as the original but that made no difference to me. Hope this helps. Jeff
Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

From the Weatherhead (now owned by Eaton) catalog.

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Apparently the previous owner of my car didn't care much for repairing things properly. Don't know how he figured out how to cobble this up, and yet, it never leaked.

Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2016, 04:28 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I have a few spare fittings if you can't find what you need.....

Get notified of new replies

To oil pressure line

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure line