C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 57 Corvette Defective Ignition Switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:13 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default 57 Corvette Defective Ignition Switches

Has anyone got a defective ignition switch for a 57 Corvette ? We are on our second aftermarket switch and it seems defective. The first one worked the way it should two times to start the car then it jammed between the off and on positions and wouldn't turn to push the brass peg to release the tumblers . The second one that we just got wants to start the car as soon as the key is turned to the on position without turning it to the start position. Anyone know how to bypass the switch to see if it is the switch internals that are defective ? The wires are purple for solenoid , black for battery , double pink for accessory ,brown for ignition 1 , and dark green for ignition 2 . It's a new wiring harness and all of the wires are on the correct terminals.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Several things could be causing this. First, your 57 uses an ignition switch (1116512) which is unique to 55-57 cars and their wiring harness. I am wondering if you may have gotten a generic replacement that is responsible for what you describe. You can confirm the correct operation of the switch itself by removing the lock cylinder and using a flat blade screwdriver inserted in the D slot of the switch check and see if it will function correctly now. That will also rule out a problem with your lock cylinder as well. I think it is most likely you have the wrong switch or something is wired incorrectly. Pilot Dan

ps. If it were my car, I would get an NOS or good used GM original, plenty out there.

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 07-07-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Several things could be causing this. First, your 57 uses an ignition switch (1116512) which is unique to 55-57 cars and their wiring harness. I am wondering if you may have gotten a generic replacement that is responsible for what you describe. You can confirm the correct operation of the switch itself by removing the lock cylinder and using a flat blade screwdriver inserted in the D slot of the switch check and see if it will function correctly now. That will also rule out a problem with your lock cylinder as well. I think it is most likely you have the wrong switch or something is wired incorrectly. Pilot Dan

ps. If it were my car, I would get an NOS or good used GM original, plenty out there.
Thanks Dan , I just ordered a NOS switch with part # 1116512 . The switch with the problem was an import and was the second one that we bought with a problem. The first one engaged the starter in the car twice then froze .
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

I just received the switch from ebay and I need to know if there are supposed to be part numbers on the switch itself . The part numbers on the DelcoRemy box are correct but the box was opened and there are no part numbers on the switch . The switch looks and acts like the import . Could this be a switcharoo by the ebay seller ? Should there be part numbers on this switch ?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Here's an original switch housing:

There is a 512 on one side, and what appears to be an 11 on the other side. No other numbers are visible.
The following users liked this post:
bj1k (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

On the back in very small letters it says:
Delco
Made in USA
Remy

The lettering is in a circular pattern. Sorry for the crummy photo.

Last edited by Todd H.; 07-14-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Thanks for that Todd . It does have the 512 and 11 on the other side . The DelcoRemy insignia is on there but I would have never known if you didn't point it out . Had to go outside with a magnifying glass and I could barely make it out. The pictures really helped . Thanks Again
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
. The switch looks and acts like the import .
It is time to get a large color wiring diagram and re check the routing and connections between the switch and the other ends. IIRC there are 2 pink wires that look similar which both go to the ignition switch. Just a quick thought on what to try next.

Get notified of new replies

To 57 Corvette Defective Ignition Switches

Quick Reply: [C1] 57 Corvette Defective Ignition Switches