Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I sold my 08 C6 and bought a Mid-Year Coupe......

Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 PM
Zoomin
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 106 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by 1snake View Post
Not so on the insurance premiums. You can insure them with the same driving restrictions for approx. the same price. Going to a C2, you'll also give up, reliability, comfort, performance, gas mileage and safety.
Not my experience regarding insurance premiums at all. The amount I spent for insurance on my 2010 for six months would insure my SWC for three times that.

If you want reliability, comfort, gas mileage and safety, you probably need to be looking into a Camry.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,975 Likes on 3,069 Posts

I've driven several friends' C6 cars and I actually prefer my C2. The newer vettes make me feel like my azz is dragging the ground! I just feel like I'm driving a computer with wheels on all four corners...silky smooth and scary fast but not very visceral IMO.

I've been towed home once due to a mechanical issue in 30 years of driving classic cars and that was a '61 oil filter canister gasket blowout -- my fault entirely.

I think my insurance on the classics is cheaper. My stock cars are ultra-reliable now (after much work) -- but safety. Now there is a big issue.

Its your seat belts, proper mechanical maintenance and the 'wetware' between your ears....barely enough in modern traffic.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-20-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 AM
carl3989
CF Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Insurance is not....

Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Not my experience regarding insurance premiums at all. The amount I spent for insurance on my 2010 for six months would insure my SWC for three times that.

If you want reliability, comfort, gas mileage and safety, you probably need to be looking into a Camry.
.....really a concern, but a Camry? Oh boy.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 AM
1snake
CF Senior Member

Received 401 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
If your 2010 is insured as a daily driver, I understand. However, if you insure it under a collector car policy like your 63, the premium should be about the same depending on the "agreed value" of each car.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl View Post
Buy a C2 Restomod, best of both worlds.
DING DING DING ! ! ! We have a winner

C6 as your only Corvette that you actually use is far and away the better choice in a C6/C2 comparison.

C2 wins in nostalgic styling. It loses in every other comparison from reliability, fuel economy, power, handling, comfort, etc.

A quality built C2 restomod, incorporating after market chassis, late model power train, suspension and creature comfort upgrades, will provide that nostalgic styling along with the advantages of the modern vehicle.
LateOutDrsMn (Today)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
DING DING DING ! ! ! We have a winner

C6 as your only Corvette that you actually use is far and away the better choice in a C6/C2 comparison.

C2 wins in nostalgic styling. It loses in every other comparison from reliability, fuel economy, power, handling, comfort, etc.

A quality built C2 restomod, incorporating after market chassis, late model power train, suspension and creature comfort upgrades, will provide that nostalgic styling along with the advantages of the modern vehicle.
Quite true....but get your wallet out.
A quality restomod done by a top builder can cost as much as a small house.You'll save $$$ doing it yourself but you'll be "learning on the job"..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-20-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 AM
carl3989
CF Senior Member

Default Thanks,

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
with what they both said. but if you can't wrench and some of the most basic repairs and troubleshoot a old car is not for you. they can be reliable but they are 50 years old and the parts were designed 60 years ago. things will go wrong and break. I don't care if its fully restored or not. if you drive it enough sooner or latter something can ware out. the only thing a C6 has in common with a mid year is the name, it has two seats, and its a V8 RWD car. after that its night and day
Although I'm no longer young (I'll soon be 71) I was a mechanic for 4 years in the military and have wrenched cars and motorcycles all of my adult life. However to lie under a car to replace a clutch or rear end is no longer in my future. I do most of the maintenance and minor repairs my self. I've done most of the customization of my C6 as you can see in my attempt to get rid of the plastic under the hood. LOL:
Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1592664772]I've driven several friends' C6 cars and I actually prefer my C2. The newer vettes make me feel like my azz is dragging the ground! I just feel like I'm driving a computer with wheels on all four corners...silky smooth and scary fast but not very visceral IMO.

Hey Frankie. The Model T is also quite visceral.

Just got back from 5,500 miles in 18 days driving my 2000 convertible, with my bride as a passenger, through the Southern and Southwestern states. Up and down Pikes Peak. Much better than when I had my 63 coupe. No scrapes on my azz either.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=BADBIRDCAGE;1592665027]
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I've driven several friends' C6 cars and I actually prefer my C2. The newer vettes make me feel like my azz is dragging the ground! I just feel like I'm driving a computer with wheels on all four corners...silky smooth and scary fast but not very visceral IMO.

Hey Frankie. The Model T is also quite visceral.

Just got back from 5,500 miles in 18 days driving my 2000 convertible, with my bride as a passenger, through the Southern and Southwestern states. Up and down Pikes Peak. Much better than when I had my 63 coupe. No scrapes on my azz either.
I did Pike's Peak in a rented Ford SUV.
Still not over the night sweats and facial ticks -- therapy is ongoing
Old 07-20-2016, 09:36 AM
AkrHack
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989 View Post
...to lie under a car to replace a clutch or rear end is no longer in my future.
Get a 4 post lift. Not only will it allow you do repairs without laying on your back, you can fit more cars in your garage! You'll then be able to buy a mid-year and keep your C6.

Last edited by AkrHack; 07-20-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1592665049]
Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
I did Pike's Peak in a rented Ford SUV.
Still not over the night sweats and facial ticks -- therapy is ongoing
Aw come on Frankie. At least the road is paved.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 AM
carl3989
CF Senior Member

Default I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by AkrHack View Post
Get a 4 post lift. Not only will it allow you do repairs without laying on your back, you can fit more cars in your garage! You'll then be able to buy a mid-year and keep your C6.
Here's my garage. Do you think I could get that lift in there also. My ceiling maybe too low. LOL:
Old 07-20-2016, 10:55 AM
karkrafter
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Get the C2...it will make you feel alive!!!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:59 AM
1snake
CF Senior Member

Received 401 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989 View Post
Here's my garage. Do you think I could get that lift in there also. My ceiling maybe too low. LOL:
Not only is your ceiling too low, you would have a width problem as well. Keep the C6.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:05 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Quite true....but get your wallet out.
A quality restomod done by a top builder can cost as much as a small house.You'll save $$$ doing it yourself but you'll be "learning on the job"..
You can make the choice. Spend the money on a quality restomod (if you lack the necessary tools and ability to build it yourself) or overpay for a C2 and spend equivilant funds to bring the car to the standards you desire.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:04 PM
vettebuyer6369

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 1,779 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara View Post
I say go for it because you only live once. If you know a good mechanic I think you would be fine not turning the wrenches yourself. Sure they are hot, uncomfortable and no modern comforts, but you will be smiling ear to ear while sweating your rear end off. What's the worst case scenario? You can always try it for a year and if you don't like it, sell it (probably for more or close to what you paid) and buy another C6 (cheaper and nicer than the one you have now).

It's great if you do your own mechanics, but I agree that if you are not on a tight budget and you can find a trustworthy, competent mechanic there's no reason you cannot own the old cars and not work on them yourself.

You have to understand that you are asking an age old question: new, comfortable, dependable, working AC, but boring and declining value late model car vs. old, classic, beautiful, exciting, cool as hell, value going up every day, people waving at you but sometimes finicky and always primitive. There's no right answer.

Over the years I've often had one of each, a newer Corvette to go longer distance especially when I wanted the air to work and have less chance of getting stranded; and an old car that was thrilling to sit in, let alone drive. If pressed, I always go with the old car.

The key is to get qualified assistance buying the right car and protecting your investment, because even though that word makes some people uncomfortable, dropping 40-50k on a toy is an investment and it's silly to pretend otherwise. There's no reason to buy uninformed in today's informational society.
carl3989 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:49 PM
tuxnharley
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369 View Post

It's great if you do your own mechanics, but I agree that if you are not on a tight budget and you can find a trustworthy, competent mechanic there's no reason you cannot own the old cars and not work on them yourself.

You have to understand that you are asking an age old question: new, comfortable, dependable, working AC, but boring and declining value late model car vs. old, classic, beautiful, exciting, cool as hell, value going up every day, people waving at you but sometimes finicky and always primitive. There's no right answer.

Over the years I've often had one of each, a newer Corvette to go longer distance especially when I wanted the air to work and have less chance of getting stranded; and an old car that was thrilling to sit in, let alone drive. If pressed, I always go with the old car.

The key is to get qualified assistance buying the right car and protecting your investment, because even though that word makes some people uncomfortable, dropping 40-50k on a toy is an investment and it's silly to pretend otherwise. There's no reason to buy uninformed in today's informational society.

Boring ??? I don't think I've ever heard a C6 described as "boring" before..... My C6 is just as much fun as my C2, just in different uses.

With the targa top off and the sun out, the C6 is just as enjoyable as my '67 convertible. The Magnaflow mufflers and Halltech intake on its LS2 make it sound just as good as the ZZ4 in my '67 when ripping through the gears!

As to price and depreciation, a good C6 can now be had for $25k; a good C2 will be about twice that. The $25k difference could be used for a lot of other things - other toys, investments, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I love my '67. I wouldn't have kept it for 45 years if I didn't. I've spent a lot of time and money maintaining and upgrading it - engines, transmissions, power steering, interior, top(s), etc. to make it more useful and comfortable for the way I want to use it.

I realize I am fortunate to have earned the ability to afford both. Bottom line, 'tho, is that at this point in mt life - age 66 vs 21 when I bought the '67 - if I had to by only one, it would be a C6 for about $25k instead of a C2 for about $50k. The depreciation of the C6 will be low from here on out, and the insurance will be about the same if both are covered as limited use collector cars.

If people are deciding on buying cars based on what other people will think of it that is a very different issue..............

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-20-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Vet Interested
CF Senior Member

Received 608 Likes on 457 Posts

Test drove a new 2005. Thats when I knew I would eventually get a C6.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Yellow6t7
CF Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

One comment:

When you drive a C2 it is like being 19 years old again and again.
Always puts a smile on your face.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM
CWIC
CF Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Oldest driven:
1. An older friend's new 1959 C-1 when I was 16 y/o. It wasn't known as a C-1 then, I thought it was a rocket ship.
2. A friend's brand new 1963 split window with the solid lifter 340HP 327. I was a passenger in this car at over 120 mph, in 1963 that was pretty fast.

Almost drove: My brother bought a 1961 but he crashed it before I able to drive it. He let me sit in it though, haha.

Owned:
1. 1964 Convertible with 300/327, 4-speed. Bought it in 1976 for $4500, was my daily driver for 12 years, sold it - a mistake. The only surviving picture of it is below.
2. 2007 C6 Base Coupe, A6, 3LT, 21,000 miles on it now. I bought it last year from the original owner.

Last edited by CWIC; 07-11-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If I sold my 08 C6 and bought a Mid-Year Coupe......

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: