C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1961 Corvette is going, going, gone...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

car looks good.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1787452.html

http://www.justtoysclassiccars.com/v...rolet-corvette
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I prefer to sell within the US but when you consign a car for sale you don't have a say....my selling company says about 30% of his sales are overseas. I just wasn't getting offers that made sense stateside. As I stated the C1 market is soft and may resurge but I'm not waiting... The car was going to needs some things done after 9 years and about 50,000 miles on it since I bought it. Paint was tired, front end really needed gone completely over (I did the rear end and suspension two years ago)

I don't know how looking for a car part on the forum turned into a stealth, restomod split window project - didn't even say it was for a car I owned and never said anything about a spit window - gotta love cyberspace...

Frankie I do not think it is for a restomod. I think that it is going to be for a 340 hp or a FI SW that you will build into a beautiful car like your 250 hp. It might even be the car that you have mentioned here on the Forum before that you had been trying to buy that was in someones basement or garage. In any event we are glad that there is possibly going to be another SW brought back to life. As far as the 63 only hood there was one listed here on the Forum by a member that is located in New Jersey. The price was $3,500.00. It was about a year ago. Good luck and I hope that you find one. They are very hard to come by.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If you read Frankie's posts, he did drop a few hints that he was considering selling the '61..

I'm sure the car will be loved.. When I was in Sweden last summer, I happened across a car show.. and it was 90% American classics.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I never noticed the extra metalic in the paint before Frankie. Purists would probably disapprove but it makes it pop. Was the dash done like that too.....looks it in the pics.

So you'll be selling your extra 2x4 setup as well as other stuff?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Frank: I got quite a bit of good advice from you when I had questions about my '57 and '61. Your answers and pictures were very helpful.

You stated that you were 65 and felt the need to downsize. That got me to thinking. I am 75 and still have three Corvettes, '57,'61 and '86. I have owned them for over 20 years. In addition I am fighting cancer. My oncologist is optimistic about my recovery but perhaps I need to think about downsizing also.

Keep on the C1-C2 forum. Your expertise is valuable.

Art Bruns

Last edited by abdo; 07-23-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by abdo
Frank: I got quite a bit of good advice from you when I had questions about my '57 and '61. Your answers and pictures were very helpful.

You stated that you were 65 and felt the need to downsize. That got me to thinking. I am 75 and still have three Corvettes, '57,'61 and '86. I have owned them for over 20 years. In addition I am fighting cancer. My oncologist is optimistic about my recovery but perhaps I need to think about downsizing also.

Art Bruns
Wish you the absolute best in your health journey Art....
My sale wasn't any impending situation; more of a feeling that the market had peaked on the first generation Corvettes and that one car will do me just fine for a while. I actually have only had two classics for the last 4 years.

The 30 years before that just one at a time...
Old 07-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Did you advertise in european market or did buyer see it in a USA sales posting? I'd like to broaden the market I'm advertising into. Looking for suggestions.
Again, it was a consignment sale so those folks advertise broadly including overseas; however as you know I live in the Orlando tourist area. So the buyer from Germany was here on vacation and wandered into the consignment shop's showroom and just loved the car but was a hardball negotiator so I dropped the price $2K twice and then he was won over. I got top dollar for the car IMO even with the consignment overhead.

Initially the shop had the car priced WAY over the top so there was no activity on it until they got more realistic and then three interested parties got involved. The Just Toys consignment shop don't just take anything in for sale. They test drove the car with me, had their mechanic go over it, and, put it on a lift and went through everything. They lightly detailed the car monthly and started it weekly and took good care of it IMO.

And I've sold loads of parts here on the forum but for a variety of reasons I went another route to sell the car.

The car will be sold with the 'real deal' 270hp carbs; my clones were sold to forum member Bill Pilon about two years ago and so they are gone -- with Bill putting 1,000s of miles on them.

The dash was gloss black (also not NCRS correct) as to other original parts the buyer has "first right of refusal" on them at separate pricing. The BW aluminum T-10, original shifter, Wonderbar radio, dual point distributor, etc.. are not in the car but available to him. The hardtop DID go with the car.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:44 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Another positive point is, even though the car left the U.S, it will certainly be pampered in Germany/Europe. And what great countryside to enjoy a classic Corvette! Frankie's '61 will be around for a long, long time to come.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Just wondering why you decided not to even advertise it for sale here on the Forum? It sounds like there are a couple of long term solid citizen members who would have been interested....... Your car/ your choice, but imho coulda/ woulda/shoulda kept it in the USA!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-23-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-23-2016, 04:09 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Like walking your daughter down the aisle and handing her off to the new man......Wonderful, yet heartbreaking at the same time....

Congrats on the sale.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Haven't seen anything about the red SWC or any photos of it for several weeks now. Just talk of a 63 project and a want ad for front end body parts. I wonder if the mostly original SWC with all the owner added options IS the highly classified "project"?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Thanks all for the congrats....

As to questions about the medium I chose to sell the car and any future 'stealth' projects I'll refer you to the FBI Director's sworn testimony...
Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

So I'll channel some Jason Chaffetz here. Yes or No.
Was there a mishap involving the CF's favorite SWC and poster?
Your many CF friends are on pins and needles and seem hesitant to ask.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65hihp
So I'll channel some Jason Chaffetz here. Yes or No.
Was there a mishap involving the CF's favorite SWC and poster?
Your many CF friends are on pins and needles and seem hesitant to ask.
Stealth SWC projects ? Unannounced sale of the '61 ? Alien autopsies ? Bigfoot sightings and now a mishap ?

Did something happen to Vettebuyer's split window ?
That's my favorite SWC and poster ??

Anyway, I'll get to those who PMed/emailed me about the process of selling a car via a consignment contract -- apparently there is some unanticipated interest in the topic...

Thanks for the congrats and well wishes...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Thanks all for the congrats....

As to questions about the medium I chose to sell the car and any future 'stealth' projects I'll refer you to the FBI Director's sworn testimony...

Naw, that's ok Frank - I saw your response to me before you deleted it!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Naw, that's ok Frank - I saw your response to me before you deleted it!
Yeah...its a legitimate question...

As I said in my deleted response I had a few things going on family-wise the last several months (all of that is coming together now) that consumed my time.

Rather than selling the '61 myself which I've always done with my other cars (most recently the '67 Chevelle 3 years ago); I looked at other options.

The consignment avoided having to store the car, advertise it, negotiate price, screw around with tire kickers and arranging personal inspections, get involved in shipping and answering lots of questions and perhaps dealing with an owner unhappy after the sale (even though I always sell "as-is, where-is).

Then there is the fact that overseas buyers will pay a premium for the nicer cars. Some may disagree but the sales company has hard numbers concerning that...

The consignment process was effortless and required no attention from me. I've sold and bought plenty of parts on the forum and it is a nice venue if you want to handle things yourself.

Speaking of which, I'll have some nice '61/C1 parts coming up soon. I'm actually going through my shelf inventory today to pull it all out, photograph and price it

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I have a mental image of the lucky new owner in 5th gear/overdrive with the dual quads gulping fuel doing 120mph on the AutoBahn.
You haven't really lived unless you ahve listened to the sound of a SB motor and off road exhaust running 6000 RPM at 120MPH with the top off for several miles.

Montana didn't used to have a speed limit on the Interstate. I was able do do just that.

Glad you found good home for it. Selling a car you have lot of years invested in, can be, well, sort of depressing, but once it has been picked up and the truck is gone, you quickly move on.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 Corvette is going, going, gone...

Old 07-24-2016, 04:56 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by abdo

Art Bruns
Art, your still a young pup. After the cancer is behind you, you just drive the 57-61 and 86 like a teenager that just stole them, out for a joy ride trying to impress his girl in the passenger seat.

Besides, Franks 65 years are like dog years against your 75 years. I am sure you can out wrench, out run, out think and out drink him any day!
Old 07-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I might be interested in that "fancy, dancy cupholder. I'm tired of trying to stick a Big Gulp in my left shirt pocket. I should ask a dumb question..."Will it fit a '62?"
Yes it will fit.

The cup holder is for sale now in the parts section. Let me know if you really want it. If not, another forum member does.

Cheers!
Frankie
Old 07-24-2016, 11:34 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Did something happen to Vettebuyer's split window ?
That's my favorite SWC and poster ??
What... what?

I'm going out to the garage to check now.

Quick Reply: [C1] 1961 Corvette is going, going, gone...