C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions

Is it me or is the number of C1 C2 restomods at auctions way down since Barrett Jackson Scottsdale. Since then I only see 1 or 2 per auction. There were 20 plus at Barrett which hurt the sale price of those cars. I wonder if builders are using other avenues to sell their cars. What do you other builders think. My next one won't go to auction. Building one to order for a customer.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Maybe people have begun to realize that they are fun to drive and have decided to keep them. I have over 10,000 miles on my 3 restomods and am building a 4th none are for sale!
Mark
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Mark,

I'm a builder in a since, don't do the work, I build for myself and control the design, good or bad.

You like others on the other hand, are building to what you hope will not turn others off an in return bring a nice return on investment.

So what happens, these type builds start to look alike. They become boring, just another different color, different interior look, different engine compartment treatment, same old body look. Like you said, when a lot of these type builds show up at the same place, buyers start to realize there is nothing special about them, they are to sale builds, so they start to wonder, are they just slapped together, little or no imagination builds.

Of the builds you have done, was there really any real differences in them, are in reality or they just all the same, except for color, exterior and interior wise, engine compartment treatment wise, ect, same as other builders are doing too, no real imagination to them, just some gimmicks maybe to try and get someones attention?

I know the one thing, I don't want is another car's body to look like one I own. I want people to see something different, so my gimmick to make my car(s) standout is modifying the body, and doing it to as many body panels on the car as possible.

The car I'm building now, Jimmy Joe, every body panel of that car will have been modified in some way. You and others can't afford to take a chance like that.

I don't worry to the point that I'll use ugly as a gimmick to get people design wise or color wise to come over and look at car's body an I'm using both of those on Jimmy Joe as if I've I've had the body mods done correctly, the body for the most part will look almost as boring as a stock body if you don't really take a closer look at it.

People may stay and really take a look, or they way walk over, an only look in the engine compartment like most people do as that is where most car builds try to be different and not even notice the body changes as those are not what they are expecting to see, "body mods to a car that's body design is considered classic".

Also buyers, look at time an day car will come up for auction. To get good money your build needs to be put up for auction in a prime time slot or potential buyers will think there is nothing special about build, just another lets build a C2 restomod, an make some good money for ourselves.

But that's a risk as that is more money out of your pocket up front an if car doesn't bring what you want, lost time and money you were expecting to take home, an maybe having to take car to another auction with hope it will bring what you think your work is worth.

I know what I've said is brutal, but it's what I see as the truth.

The car your building now for a customer, not for auction. Is it basically same as what you build for auctions? One you know what cost of it is, so you give buyer a fixed cost price, or is it a time and material cost build, something different from your norm?

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 07-24-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 AM
c2performance
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Default restomods

I am sorry but all these restomods of today in ten years nobody will want them just like the pro street cars of the 80,s. Maybe we are seeing to many all ready. Just my 2-cents!!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Bruce, I think the quality of what has shown up at the auctions has gone down for the most part, as a result, the numbers reflect that.
Driving them is the reason to build them, and this is the time of the year to do so, the Spring auction business is usually the strongest. Brian
Old 07-24-2016, 04:02 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

The Restomod movement is alive and well. I agree with Beggers that it is all about the quality of the build. If the quality isn't there, the money will not be there either.
If builders are slapping them together for a quick sale at auction, the savvy bidder will pick up on it.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:09 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by c2performance
I am sorry but all these restomods of today in ten years nobody will want them just like the pro street cars of the 80,s. Maybe we are seeing to many all ready. Just my 2-cents!!!!
Another hater........
The following 5 users liked this post by mike coletta:
bigearl56 (07-24-2016), firstgear (07-26-2016), ironheadvette (07-27-2016), mark6669 (07-24-2016), mikey (08-02-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I tend to disagree. If you think about the differences between pro street and todays restomods you can see that Pro Street was a car that was kind of a drag racing car for the street. Usually biggest engine, biggest rear tires, drag racing brakes, automatics eith high stall speed and rear end that kept you hitting the red line at highway speeds. The last years of pro street started to show more of a high quality interior work, more comfortable with sound systems and A/C etc. People soon realized that they didn't want to enjoy their life 1/4mile at the time so they started to look for more usability with their builds.

Where as the Pro Street was mainly build for 1/4 the restomod is build for pretty much everything, you can still take the car to the strip and do some nice passes all day long then cruise home. You can easily take a coast to coast tour in one, put a/c on, make stop at your favorite road course tracks and after a track day keep going with your road trip. These cars make so much more sense to me at least. Technology will move on, so at some point the cars build today will seem dated, but its going to take bit longer than 10years.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
c2performance
Pro

Default restomods

Sorry not comparing the two. Just saying it is a current fad that will fall like every fad does.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I like restored cars but the reality is 50 year old technology will never make it in a younger persons world and to keep the corvette from going by the way of the model A I am all for making it what ever people want. As far as pro street, in Pa it is alive and well there was at least 25 of them at super chevy last weekend. Most of the people there where looking at them and not looking at the restored cars.
The following users liked this post:
ironheadvette (07-27-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:21 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Sorry not comparing the two. Just saying it is a current fad that will fall like every fad does.
Have to agree. Real cars will hold and gain value. Fads fade away. Not saying that all will become completely worthless in due time.
But many/most will. The people who buy them today are not passionate for the Corvette. Something else will catch their eye tomorrow. And they will be gone. You're seeing it now.
Call this hating if you want. It's not.
But if it makes you feel better, go right ahead.
Whatever floats your boat works for me.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Building a restomod for a customer offers much less risk than building on spec. and going to auction. I was going to bring my '59 to scottsdale in '17, but a customer build is taking priority now, so it goes up on the lift. My idea for a build after that car and bringing it to scottsdale '18 is now on hold as well because of other customer driven projects. However, building a car for a customer is a whole different experience as I'm finding out.

I think the restomods at auctions are just the tip of the restomod market as many more cars are built for specific customers.

The restomod market is driven by human nature which is a constant, not a fad, IMO. There will always be guys with "New" money looking to spend it on trophies, excitement, fun, etc. They aren't buying these cars for transportation or as an investment. They fulfill other needs. You don't have to agree with it.
The following users liked this post:
dcaggiani (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:52 PM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the resto mods are alive and well and will remain so for a long time, I have built several resto mods for longtime owners and there cars have been sitting around for years and they did not want to drive them for lack of performance, brakes, handling etc. as a resto mod they are loggin a lot of miles and loving it.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:58 PM
c2performance
Pro

Default restomods

Well said 65hihp!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Building a restomod for a customer offers much less risk than building on spec. and going to auction. I was going to bring my '59 to scottsdale in '17, but a customer build is taking priority now, so it goes up on the lift. My idea for a build after that car and bringing it to scottsdale '18 is now on hold as well because of other customer driven projects. However, building a car for a customer is a whole different experience as I'm finding out.

I think the restomods at auctions are just the tip of the restomod market as many more cars are built for specific customers.

The restomod market is driven by human nature which is a constant, not a fad, IMO. There will always be guys with "New" money looking to spend it on trophies, excitement, fun, etc. They aren't buying these cars for transportation or as an investment. They fulfill other needs. You don't have to agree with it.
I think your right Ken. Auctions don't represent the bulk of the market. Your right building a car for someone can get challenging.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

If I could afford a C2 or C3 restomod I would be all over it. But how many of us have seen a C4 gen L98 or LT1 engine inside of a C1 or C2 and said, nah, I don't want that engine in there? I don't even know what one would pay for an older restomod with one of those engines in them. Is there a market for that anymore or would you pull that engine and fit in a newer gen motor and computer?

Most right now want an LS series engine. How long will that last now that the C7 has the newer LT engines?

I don't know one way or the other or where the market will go, and I don't dare guess. All I gotta say is that if you see something you like, pay what you want for it, you only live once.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

This always comes up and I always use the example of the '62 Mike Coletta built for a mutual friend. The car is 'long in the tooth' by restomod standards, done about 10 years ago I think, and has one engine upgrade to an LS-3. It is a show stopping stunner. The burgundy looking car (actually Patriot Red) second from the right.

People lean on my original '61 and original '63 split window to take pictures of it after all these years.

Am I happy about it when that happens? Hell no, its just the way it is. The owner gets offers to buy it regularly.

So much for restomod 'staying power'...

As a comparison, my stock '61 which I just sold took over 6 months to get anywhere close to the price it would have brought 3 years ago and it took an overseas buyer to get that number. That market has softened big time...

I agree with the assessment that less cars are being built on spec and more for specific customers and they're keeping them; as in the case of this '62; it ain't going anywhere....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-25-2016 at 05:10 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
bigearl56 (07-25-2016), dcaggiani (07-26-2016), ironheadvette (07-27-2016), Loren Smith (07-28-2016), mark6669 (07-25-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions

Old 07-26-2016, 04:06 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucebodyman
Is it me or is the number of C1 C2 restomods at auctions way down since Barrett Jackson Scottsdale. Since then I only see 1 or 2 per auction. There were 20 plus at Barrett which hurt the sale price of those cars. I wonder if builders are using other avenues to sell their cars. What do you other builders think. My next one won't go to auction. Building one to order for a customer.
Just looking at Mecum's lineup for thier next auction in Monterey and there are no Corvette resto mods!! Just a Karl's Kustom 67 on a late model Corvette.
Will be interesting to see Mecum in Kissimmee where they usually have a bunch of Corvettes.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:14 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Those who lack talent and initiative will always live in the bubble of sanctity in the purist world. That doesn't make them bad people.

Restomod Corvettes are not going away. Restored "original" Corvettes are not going away.

Can't we all just get along?
The following 2 users liked this post by BADBIRDCAGE:
mark6669 (07-26-2016), mikey (08-02-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Proud owner of the same 64 (Coletta built) Restomod since 2012 folks !!!

Given the affordability, reliability, horsepower, and the vast aftermarket support available for the LS engine platform, it will have a long shelf life.

Quick Reply: Lack of C1 C2 Restomods at Auctions