C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

block restamping

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Miami Stingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Here is my restamped block on my 66. I wonder how many "experts" it will take to review this one

Looks like the real deal to me. lol
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I was hoping someone would show the famous "Fonawanda" stamp, like this one:
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by karkrafter
As moderator of this site, I respectfully ask your opinion on re-stamping a block. Good for the hobby, bad for the hobby.. ethical not ethical...your opinion.
I dont offer opinions on topics within the context of being one of the many site moderators. The subjects are not related. Usually, when there's a pretty strong debate, I generally keep my opinions to myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
DucatiDon (08-01-2016), mikelj (07-30-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 427435
Well, I'm glad there are people willing to pay really big bucks for a car with a born with engine (and documentation).

On the other hand, why is only the engine so important when much of the rest of a Bloomington Gold car could be replacement parts??

If someone like me, with a real L71 engined car, blew an engine, he would be taking $50,000+ hit on the value of the car. Sure would be tempting to spend a few thousand $$$ to duplicate that block.
It's not only the engine. But its the most significant indicator to many people of a well cared for car. Trans and body also. But a well cared for car might easily have a simple carb swap, or alternator failure. If your engine blew or got swapped out there is more reason to believe the car may have not been babied. But it is still one consideration among hundreds of others.

Of course to many people they don't care at all. It depends on how you were taught to evaluate and care for your cars. Not saying this is right or wrong way to evaluate, or even if it is significant. It is to some so in my opinion restamping is a deception.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:03 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 427435
My post was an attempt at humor. However, when you consider that less than 1 in 5 of 1967 Corvettes had L71 engines, it seems like there's a lot of them for sale.
A BIG reason why there so many BB & high performance along with high optioned & ones with rare desirable colors are shown at NCRS , BG & auctions is that it cost the same to restore any Corvette. You have NO chance of getting your money back restoring a 300HP no option corvette after spending 80 to 100,000.00 to restore it. MONEY drives this so called hobby & you can cry all you want but it won't change.

Last edited by kenba; 07-31-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:17 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
It's not only the engine. But its the most significant indicator to many people of a well cared for car. Trans and body also. But a well cared for car might easily have a simple carb swap, or alternator failure. If your engine blew or got swapped out there is more reason to believe the car may have not been babied. But it is still one consideration among hundreds of others.

Of course to many people they don't care at all. It depends on how you were taught to evaluate and care for your cars. Not saying this is right or wrong way to evaluate, or even if it is significant. It is to some so in my opinion restamping is a deception.
Many Cars in the day had engine failures early on & most were worn out at 80,000 MI. It was cheaper & faster to swap out the engine than rebuild it. If you replace the engine with the same configuration as it came from the factory with it is NOT being fraudulent. Only if you try to make anything, engine or other components something it was not is it fraud.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:01 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

The legal definition of "fraud":.....fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct."
Old 07-31-2016, 01:39 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
Do you understand HOW the "Grenning" evaluation is done? It has less to do with the numbers than a forensic evaluation of the broach lines - much the same way that a bullet can be matched to a gun, the block can be matched to a point in time based on the known blocks out there. This hypothetical unstamped block better be within a couple of weeks of when the engine should be produced for it to pass muster.

Would you want to spend the rest of your days in court helping one guy sue the other?
I DO understand how the "Grenning" evaluation is done. I spent a good deal of time listening to Al's presentations over the years, and I have provided a few pad stamp photos / rubbings / etc. as well.

And I would have to disagree with you about "less to do with the numbers" part of your statement.

The analysis is about brooch mark and pad stamp, both as a function of time frame.

Let me provide an example:

Lets say a 67 435 engine is with an engine stamp of T04I2JE is submitted for evaluation.

Now, lets also say that there are 5 known (believed to be, anyway) original examples of JE engines assembled on 04I2 (April 12th). NOw lets also say that the top curve of the digit '2' is weak / lightly stamped relative to the rest of the characters (perhaps because of wear on the '2' digit stamp).

We would expect the submitted example to also show this weak top curve of the digit 2.

OK, this is a very simplistic answer to a rather complex process that examines the pad, the brooch marks, the edge of the pad, the style of the characters that are stamped, the uniformity of the characters, the depth of the characters, the position of the characters on the pad,.... the list goes on.

I do not recall Al Grenning's process using anything like a comparison microscope, which is the tool typically used in bullet comparisons. And the matching of brooch marks to a specific point in time is somewhat inaccurate. It is a data point, one of many that are used in the process.

The examples I cited earlier would all pass muster, because the brooch marks WERE original, as was the engine stamp. Taking a 230hp 57 283 out of a Corvette, and replacing it with a closely dated 283hp 283, also a Corvette engine, is very difficult to detect.

The point I am making is that, when Al provides a affirmation, he provides a letter that he signs stating that in his opinion, and based on his available comparison data, the engine is correct. What he doesn't provide are actual examples of the engine pad stamps that were used to make this determination.
And the presence or absence of that actual evidence is what makes the difference between his affirmation (i.e. his opinion), and tangible evidence that can be pointed to as specific data.

When I was judging at NCRS meets, and I called for a deduction on something, I had to be able to point to / describe something specific that differed from "typical of factory production". What is missing from the engine affirmation service is the "something specific".

I get why he does not provide this, but without those comparison photos, it is just a letter, backed by the faith that his placed in the letter.

Now, let me be clear on this point, I am NOT making any sort of negative or questionable comments about Al Grenning or his affirmation service. I have no reason to believe that Al Grenning has anything but the best interest of the hobby at heart when he does his evaluations.

Here is a link to Al Grenning's patent application, which is now expired. Interesting reading.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KZUCfabVzKtubQ

Last edited by emccomas; 07-31-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:39 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dale427
The "Grenning" method is patented and, as a public record, is available online for anyone who would care to learn.
Al's patent has expired...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KZUCfabVzKtubQ
Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
The point I am making is that, when Al provides a affirmation, he provides a letter that he signs stating that in his opinion, and based on his available comparison data, the engine is correct. What he doesn't provide are actual examples of the engine pad stamps that were used to make this determination.
And the presence or absence of that actual evidence is what makes the difference between his affirmation (i.e. his opinion), and tangible evidence that can be pointed to as specific data.

When I was judging at NCRS meets, and I called for a deduction on something, I had to be able to point to / describe something specific that differed from "typical of factory production". What is missing from the engine affirmation service is the "something specific".

I get why he does not provide this, but without those comparison photos, it is just a letter, backed by the faith that his placed in the letter.
I think your point is valid, but I don't know that anyone who, in the final analysis, if simply providing a letter that states his opinion, could be asked for more than that.

His "something specific" is his opinion that the broach marks and stampings don't look like the ones he's seen that he's convinced are real. You are right... it's just a letter.

I've had some experience with collectible autographs and verification of sports memorabilia. No one is willing to risk being sued anymore, so everyone just says "this is my opinion," whether in person or in writing. But nobody offers comparative photgraphy of their files of similar autographs as support. It's an opinion, based on their experience and knowledge base, and you can do with it what you like.

Unless Al is willing to come off the "opinion" part of it in a courtroom, I don't expect a file of supporting documentation to support his opinion.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I think your point is valid, but I don't know that anyone who, in the final analysis, if simply providing a letter that states his opinion, could be asked for more than that.

His "something specific" is his opinion that the broach marks and stampings don't look like the ones he's seen that he's convinced are real. You are right... it's just a letter.

I've had some experience with collectible autographs and verification of sports memorabilia. No one is willing to risk being sued anymore, so everyone just says "this is my opinion," whether in person or in writing. But nobody offers comparative photgraphy of their files of similar autographs as support. It's an opinion, based on their experience and knowledge base, and you can do with it what you like.

Unless Al is willing to come off the "opinion" part of it in a courtroom, I don't expect a file of supporting documentation to support his opinion.
I don;t expect him to provide the supporting evidence either, but that is what I would require in a situation where an engine was in question.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

Your comment is right on the money. Again, it's based on trust and reputation that the person doing the certification does have the empirical evidence that he needs to come to his opinion.

Verne
Old 08-01-2016, 02:47 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

So an thought as come to mind... has anyone ever asked Al to provide the sample data that he used to render his opinion.

I suspect the answer would be no, but maybe it is just because no one has asked.

Just to be clear, what I an suggesting is that he send copies of the sample data from his Master Pad Index that he used to make his determination, along with his letter of affirmation.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

I haven't read al the pages but just the first one. In my opinion engine restamping is just wrong and with doing it you are devaluing all the cars of the people who bought their cars as numbers matching. Besides that you are just ruining the passion of collecting cars and retaining originality.

This is the only way I can think about it.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 08-01-2016 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
karkrafter (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:09 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

So an thought as come to mind... has anyone ever asked Al to provide the sample data that he used to render his opinion.

I suspect the answer would be no, but maybe it is just because no one has asked.

Just to be clear, what I an suggesting is that he send copies of the sample data from his Master Pad Index that he used to make his determination, along with his letter of affirmation.
That'll never happen. The images of known original pad stampings which he has compiled are his meal ticket - once he has the photos of a good pad they become proprietary information which he will never share with anyone. Once Mr. G has declined to affirm authenticity of a pad it is the kiss of death, regardless of whether authentic or not. Even though it may well be the real deal, everyone henceforth will have to wonder why the guru did not bestow his blessings.

Last edited by SW Vette; 08-01-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:31 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SW Vette
That'll never happen. The images of known original pad stampings which he has compiled are his meal ticket - once he has the photos of a good pad they become proprietary information which he will never share with anyone. Once Mr. G has declined to affirm authenticity of a pad it is the kiss of death, regardless of whether authentic or not. Even though it may well be the real deal, everyone henceforth will have to wonder why the guru did not bestow his blessings.
Yep, exactly.

However, a number of these engine pads are also posted on the internet. With enough effort, others could put together their own "Master Pad Index", particularly if they were interested in just one engine suffix code.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Mr Grenning

I had Mr Grenning evaluate my 66 L36 . He did offer to show me his sample data and GM paper work to back up his affirmation if I was interested , but he would not provide copies for me . Just look , no touching .
Fair enough for me .

Get notified of new replies

To block restamping

Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The aggregation of the amount of data Al Greening already has at hand would be a stupefying amount of work. Collecting random images of pads of internet photos would take a lifetime.

Al is selling a product - again, that product is his reputation and the voracity of the data he has to back it up. Namely, his database of stamp pads, etc - those are his 'value added' flagship sales products. He won't give it up and neither would I.

And, of course, any expert 'certifier' is going to say they are only expressing their 'opinion'. That's what they are selling. If there was irrefutable, gold-plated, proof that some engine was the original BB that a car was 'born with' you wouldn't need Al's 'opinion'...

As to restamping; its a religious debate with no right answer.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-02-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by 63split63
I had Mr Grenning evaluate my 66 L36 . He did offer to show me his sample data and GM paper work to back up his affirmation if I was interested , but he would not provide copies for me . Just look , no touching .
Fair enough for me .
I agree, that information is proprietary and most people in his position would not even do that.

Last edited by SBR; 08-02-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Wow - apparently my little treatise on how a consultant's main product for sale is his/her reputation was offensive enough to be deleted.

Go figure !?

Quick Reply: block restamping