C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Let me tell you where this stems from. My own damn idiotic fault. Didn't have a cover on it and the lawnmower was perpendicular to the rear of the vette. I was changing shoes (don't we all keep separate shoes for fertilizing?) and I lost my balance and grabbed the closer thing...the handle to the lawnmower. Which proceeded to go down from the weight of me grabbing it and and one of the nuts on the side gauged the tail right on, if not a little above, the rear point, to the left of the right tail light. I'll try to get a pic soon.

But it went through the paint into the fiberglass. Not deep, deep, but you can def see fiberglass and it's about the size of your thumbnail.

Is this something a shade tree mech could correct acceptably? I know it would be professional body shop, but that would probably 5-600.
I have the same size chip in just about the same location. My estimate from a highly respected shop was $1800. I'm doing it myself.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tubman
I have the same size chip in just about the same location. My estimate from a highly respected shop was $1800. I'm doing it myself.
I would too
Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 AM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

The estimates I got from several body shops for a similar scratch repair all hovered around $1500. I'll be trying my hand at it first.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The problem is that the pro paint shops will want to do the color match and then clear the whole rear of the car - a significant amount of work. Its worth it for a ding in an area that's not 'in-your-face' to take a shot at a touch up. I've had some VERY successful examples (and some not so successful)..
Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

As I finally got some touch up paint and I painted a small test card, it's pretty damn close, if not spot on. I was doing a search and forgot about this thread I started...

Anyways, here is what I'm trying to correct, to the best of my ability. What's the course of action for correction? Tape around it, sand the edges down and then use the brush that came in the bottle of touch up paint and do several layers, and then compound it out to smooth it out?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

As I finally got some touch up paint and I painted a small test card, it's pretty damn close, if not spot on. I was doing a search and forgot about this thread I started...

Anyways, here is what I'm trying to correct, to the best of my ability. What's the course of action for correction? Tape around it, sand the edges down and then use the brush that came in the bottle of touch up paint and do several layers, and then compound it out to smooth it out?

Woof. That's a pretty bad problem. Looks like there is a couple paint jobs there so you have some thickness. youll need to feather those edges. That chip will get bigger if you don't.

That means a larger area and probably looking at having an entire section sprayed at least.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts

That blem seems too deep to fix with paint only. It needs to built up level with the surrounding paint with some type of 2 part epoxy or bondo or marine tex then sanded before being painted.

Quick Reply: [C2] Touch up paint