C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wiper Slippage

Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 PM
6T2Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 173 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Wiper Slippage

Major problem getting my wipers to work. I can hear the wiper motor working and I can see wiper "head" move, but not when I mount the wipers. I tried taking the wipers off but I inadvertently pulled the whole shaft out. The wipers were stuck to the shaft.
I removed the wipers off the shaft and tried to put the shaft back on, but apparently it's a force fit because I can't get the shaft to stay on and the wipers don't move.
I'm thinking of trying to tap it in with a hammer but I'm afraid of ruining the splines.
Here's some pics.
Bob

Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If this is on a C1 then you've started down a long dark, lonely road...

That transmission that the shaft goes into will have to come out and most likely have to be rebuilt - which means you may as well do both sides. Just getting them out is a PITA, let alone rebuilding them then re-installing them...

Jay Maxwell of Capitol Restoration rebuilds them or you can try yourself or try to score an original working set.. 58-62 units are different than earlier C1 cars.

A little weekend reading assignment...
Attached Images

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dcamick (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 PM
begee22
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Edmonds Washington (Stunning view of Olympic Mtns and Puget Sound)
Received 788 Likes on 305 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You may try to call Mary Jo Rohner AKA (partsqueen) @858-451-1933 located in Poway, Cal., she rebuilt mine for '61 Big Brake Fuelie and was quite reasonable with quick turnaround. begee22
Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If this is on a C1 then you've started down a long dark, lonely road.....
Yes. You always wanted to refurbish your instrument cluster and have all your gauges rebuilt while it is out, didn't you? Assuming it hasn't already been done. You don't HAVE to take the cluster out, but if you don't, you will wish you did.

The cluster comes out and goes in real easy, with an existing dash pad. Its little more work to get it back in with a new pad, but you aren't doing that. Good time to upgrade to LED dash light bulbs.

ProTip: use a piece of masking tape and number the instrument wires 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, using one side or the other as a starting point, as you disconnect them from the small instruments. It helps keep from getting them in backwards, as you will eb working upside down under there.

Oh yeah, take the seat out and get a couple pillows to lay on. Its much easier on your bod if you are over 30 or so. The wiper transmission is real easy once the cluster is out.

Be careful routing the wiper cables so they don't saw thru the wires under the dash.

Doug
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Speaking about wipers......where is a good place to restore windshield wiper motors & water pumps?
My understanding is that you cannot purchase them new.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 PM
6T2Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

If this is on a C1 then you've started down a long dark, lonely road...

That transmission that the shaft goes into will have to come out and most likely have to be rebuilt - which means you may as well do both sides. Just getting them out is a PITA, let alone rebuilding them then re-installing them...

Jay Maxwell of Capitol Restoration rebuilds them or you can try yourself or try to score an original working set.. 58-62 units are different than earlier C1 cars.

A little weekend reading assignment...
I read Carol's PDF before I posted my thread Frankie. I was hoping for a quick fix, but I knew I was dreaming. I went with Raingear wipers on my '55 Nomad. Thinking about doing the same with the '62. Any cons?
Bob
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 PM
6T2Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Yes. You always wanted to refurbish your instrument cluster and have all your gauges rebuilt while it is out, didn't you? Assuming it hasn't already been done. You don't HAVE to take the cluster out, but if you don't, you will wish you did.

The cluster comes out and goes in real easy, with an existing dash pad. Its little more work to get it back in with a new pad, but you aren't doing that. Good time to upgrade to LED dash light bulbs.

ProTip: use a piece of masking tape and number the instrument wires 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, using one side or the other as a starting point, as you disconnect them from the small instruments. It helps keep from getting them in backwards, as you will eb working upside down under there.

Oh yeah, take the seat out and get a couple pillows to lay on. Its much easier on your bod if you are over 30 or so. The wiper transmission is real easy once the cluster is out.

Be careful routing the wiper cables so they don't saw thru the wires under the dash.

Doug
Yes, the cluster panel will be rebuilt, but not this year. I want to enjoy driving my car this year. Wipers are the least of my worries, as I seldom drive any of my classics in the rain, but if I have to, the 'Vette is the only one with a wiper problem. The tach and speedo don't work so I might adapt one on the dash. My new dash pad and soft convertible top are still in the box.
Of more importance right now is the clutch and the steering box. I may decide to go with power steering. I'm having clutch and steering checked tomorrow along with the tach and speedo.
Horn is inop. I replaced a bad horn relay. I looked for a horn location on the fuse box and didn't see one. Is it fused?
Bob
Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is no fuse for the horn, its why its on a relay - the C1s are lightly fused and a bit dangerous - if you haven't already look for a thread by me titled "C1 fuse points" to make your car safer...

You can install aftermarket wiper systems, and IIRC correctly Rain Gear is one of them, I know member "Toms Silver 60" runs them - a bit of an erector set to install but they work.. I would delay that mod until you do the dash pull - your life will be easier...
Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 AM
6T2Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

There is no fuse for the horn, its why its on a relay - the C1s are lightly fused and a bit dangerous - if you haven't already look for a thread by me titled "C1 fuse points" to make your car safer...

You can install aftermarket wiper systems, and IIRC correctly Rain Gear is one of them, I know member "Toms Silver 60" runs them - a bit of an erector set to install but they work.. I would delay that mod until you do the dash pull - your life will be easier...
I agree.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Slippage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Slippage