C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Florida Garage Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:03 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I remember driving down to Key West and coming upon a road-kill snake that very easily stretched across our lane of traffic.

Another time going home to Naples from Miami in the evening on Hwy 41 and literally having to take the shoulder to go around a stubborn gator that wasn't going to move out of the lane of traffic.. They don't call it Alligator Alley for nothing.

Yes, I'd still move back.

Mike
Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Steve,
As I was reading this I thought of that sign too. It's at the rest stop just south of Gainesville, there may be others. We had about five coral snakes in the neighborhood after they mowed down the woods for Dora Parc.
Robert

Robert - Yes, that's the sign!

Five coral snakes!? Wow! We've been here for 5 years. We've seen our share of snakes but nothing poisonous.

Steve
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Robert - Would Stormy stay away from a snake? I don't think my dog would. That could end up really bad.

Steve
Old 09-11-2016, 10:50 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So to keep my cars in good shape and to give me enough to work on them with a closed door, a dehumidifier draining out of the door with a duct from my central A/c should work?
thanks
jax

ps: the gators do make some strange clicking noises during mating season. I hear them on the lake behind my house. I am very west near the Everglades.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xkeots
So to keep my cars in good shape and to give me enough to work on them with a closed door, a dehumidifier draining out of the door with a duct from my central A/c should work?
thanks
jax

ps: the gators do make some strange clicking noises during mating season. I hear them on the lake behind my house. I am very west near the Everglades.
Jax - I was going to do that. Our AC air handler is in the garage so adding a register directly to the unit would be easy to do. However, I was told that I would be creating a hazard because the vent provides a direct route to the attic and the rest of the house for fire to spread if a fire were to break out in the garage.

Also, without a return air vent, I'm not sure how well an added vent would perform. We have 3 air returns in the main part of the house but none in the garage.

So, I changed my plans and put the mini-split system in the garage.

Steve
Old 09-11-2016, 11:11 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

My main blower unit is in the garage. The exhaust is on wall opposite garage wall in unit. Ducting in attic has a place where Lyndstrom said it is safe to run duct out.
jax
Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Robert - Would Stormy stay away from a snake? I don't think my dog would. That could end up really bad.

Steve
Steve,
We have to keep her on a short tight leash as she likes to poke her nose into bushes and ground cover to capture the essence of all the Pee-Mail! I'm sure she'd be curious if she came face to face with a snake.
Robert
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Steve,
We have to keep her on a short tight leash as she likes to poke her nose into bushes and ground cover to capture the essence of all the Pee-Mail! I'm sure she'd be curious if she came face to face with a snake.
Robert
Pee-Mail! <LOL>.

Here's a picture of our dog, SinDee when we were up in Minnesota with her head down a gopher hole. There were lots of gopher holes at that campground and she was going from one to the next, shoving her head down to see what she could find without any hesitation whatsoever.

Steve
Old 09-11-2016, 11:38 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My main blower unit is in the garage. The exhaust is on wall opposite garage wall in unit. Ducting in attic has a place where Lyndstrom said it is safe to run duct out.
jax
Sounds like that may work for you.

Our air handler shares a common wall with the main house. Cooled air goes straight up into the attic and then over to the main house. No ductwork to cut into over the garage ceiling.

Steve
Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 251 Posts

thanks
jax

Back on topic! I run an old Sears dehumidifier in my one car garage in Little Rock. One reason is that it's half underground and seeps during the heavy rain season. Second, during the spring and early summer when it's still much colder in there it will form condensation on everything like a glass of ice tea on the patio. The HVAC guys at work always said don't waste your time on a dehumidifier, put in A/C. But, this has worked for me and there's no easy way to install A/C in there.

My garage in Mt Dora, some tree shade during early and late time of the day, only gets over 90* after I pull a hot car into there, it has been high 80's other wise this summer. However, it has a storage room above most of it that I'm sure is 100* +. So, maybe look into added insulation or power vents.

Robert
Old 09-11-2016, 01:40 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

I've seen that photo before. In fact, I showed it to our MN friends. That's one of the reasons they won't visit LOL.

Can't find it right now but somewhere I have a picture of a "Beware of snakes" sign taken at the I-75 Florida Welcome Station.

Steve
Might advise your MN friends to www.visitsouthwalton.com
The only gators here are Gator Fans (as in football).

Old 09-11-2016, 02:49 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Might advise your MN friends to www.visitsouthwalton.com
The only gators here are Gator Fans (as in football).

I used to live in Panama City Beach. As I recall, it gets too cold up there in the wintertime for alligators.

Steve
Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Alligators are prevalent all the way up to South Carolina..the limitation is more in the nature of the water as they are fresh water animals...
Old 09-11-2016, 03:28 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

I used to live in Panama City Beach. As I recall, it gets too cold up there in the wintertime for alligators.

Steve
I take back what I said. There are indeed a bunch of real live gators at Fudpuckers in Destin. But no love bugs coastal. Unless you count the dead ones on front of cars coming out of Alabama.

Yes it can get cold to the tune of freezing. One year I saw icicles all around the end of the roof. But in 22 yrs, never any snow. For our northern friends we have stuff that looks like snow year around to wit:

www.visitsouthwalton.com
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Now that you've read all that....my split window went the OTHER way...when I bought it out of Northern Ohio 3 years ago the paint was perfect (IIRC the car had a total repaint in 2009). After about 6 months in Orlando summer heat the car got the 'mumps' and a few bubbles cropped up on the passenger door and along the stinger on the hood. Very weird - you could see them get larger day-by-day (outgassing ?). Clearly not solvent pop so many years after the repaint.

Never did figure out if it was contamination in the fiberglass or bad primer or what. The paint simply didn't adhere to the primer substrate anymore.

Luckily I had original touch up paint that came with the car and access to excellent painter talent so it turned out well...and no more problems 2-1/2 years later.

Something to watch out for.
I have that all around my car....Some on the fender from brake fluid I suppose. on the door hood etc. I have old lacquer paint...It does shrink peeling away from car when it gets old the hot hot sun doesn't help. Someday I might repaint my car...But not with lacquer paint.

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 09-11-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

jax
You really need a return air duct and a GOOD filter system on it to remove garage dust and dirt in the return air. Otherwise the AC evaporator coil will quickly plug up and foul.

A split system like Steve has is the ideal. You could also get and run a dehumidifier most of the time with the AC only for extremes or work in the garage by yourself/friends.

Larry
Old 09-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Quote,

"You really need a return air duct and a GOOD filter system on it to remove garage dust and dirt in the return air."

No filter will filter out the gas fumes!

BOOM!

Get notified of new replies

To Florida Garage Heat

Old 09-12-2016, 10:53 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
Quote,

"You really need a return air duct and a GOOD filter system on it to remove garage dust and dirt in the return air."

No filter will filter out the gas fumes!

BOOM!
i never ran a car inside a garage without extensions on my tail pipes or half rear of car outside with door halfway closed while I am under hood. No good to kill me and family! Always park with rear at door.
think I will start with a dehumidifier with a hose running under my garage door to drop out.
jax
Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dplotkin
This was completed in July. Thanks to John Z, and others for their advice when I asked. I have 3 Liftmaster "sidewinder" openers and high lift tracks on 12.5 ft. ceilings and 2 4-post 9,000 pound lifts. I have radiant heat over a multi-layer insulation package and epoxy on top of that. Stretch energy code in my town requires heavy insulation in walls and attic. I'm in New England. I find A/C unnecessary, but since humidity control is what's important & not temperature alone, I employ a portable console type A/C unit set to dehumidifier mode - does the trick nicely.

Da

sweet!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 AM
65GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Larry - Thanks. And, yes, I used to cringe whenever I opened the garage door and let all that cool air out but I found if I'm just going out (or in) and close the door quickly behind me, I don't lose very much cooling. I don't have a passage door in my garage to the outside. Wish I did, but I only have the garage door as an exit to the outdoors.

The garage has a 34-foot east-facing block wall with 3 windows. The AC struggled at first with the heat load so I added the 5/8" R-Max you see in the picture. It only has an R value of 4.0 but it makes a huge difference. I also put solar film on the windows. Of course, attic insulation and an insulated garage door are pretty much mandatory.

If you're wondering about the gallon jugs of dark liquid in the photo, that's teal Rit dye. I'm getting ready to dye my teal carpet back to it's original color. The carpet is in good condition but very faded. Anyway, with the A/C unit directly over the car blowing 72 degree air down at the interior, the carpet should dry very quickly.

Steve

Hi Steve... let me know how your dye job works out. My 67 has perfect original interior and black carpets, with the exception of faded black. I had thought about dying the carpets. I hate to pull out the originals just due to fading as they are otherwise perfect (original only once as they say). But a thread here on the forum indicated poor results trying to re-dye. Like to know how you make out.

Jim

Quick Reply: [C1] Florida Garage Heat