C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Moving a C2 Without the Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SherpaPilot
Almost a month ago my 65 coupe developed a bearing failure noise in the Muncie 4 speed. Everyone told me it would be an easy job to remove and install the transmission. This forum has been a tremendous help in answering my many questions. (1) It took me a week to remove the transmission. The bell housing had to come off. After the shop finished the Muncie overhaul, I installed a new Luk clutch including (2) the brass pilot bearing. Although it was difficult to manage the transmission into the bell housing, the housing went on. Using advice from this forum, I made two guide pins and placed them in the transmission mounts (3) at opposite corners. The transmission almost went in except for the last 1/2 inch. I know there are lots of similar problems experienced and discussed here. I have read as many as I could. I have been wiggling the transmission, (4) raising and lowering the rear of the engine, changing the level of the transmission and wiggling more. I removed the transmission and visually checked what I could see. Nothing is obstructing including the throw-out bearing/fork. I spent two days attempting to move the tranny only 1/2 inch forward with no success. Geeze, this is fun. I see no alternative but to load this thing up onto a trailer and take it to a shop, pay someone to undo what I did and redo the project. I have worked on cars most of my life, but this one is a problem; Even British sports cars are easier to work on. Sorry for the venting guys.
Here is my question:

Can I load this car onto a trailer (5) without the transmission installed? Without the tranny, there is no support to the rear of the engine. Is there a trick out there that I can do to safely transport this car to a shop? I plan on putting this car up for sale at the end of the year and don't want to damage the existing front motor mounts. Thanks for your help and support; it is greatly appreciated.
(1) It sucks getting older, doesn't it? I remember doing this sort of thing in an afternoon. Now just getting under the car takes a week.

(2) Pilot BEARING or pilot BUSHING? The bearings are TIGHT and very hard to get in. The bushings are typically more forgiving, and most last forever. The bearing can go dry and then you need to do all this for a $15 part.

(3) The guide bolts are to align the transmission AND hold the weight so it isn't dropping down. You can just use the lower two holes as they are easier to reach and get out after. Did you use shouldered bolts and cut the heads off? A threaded bolt is smaller diameter and introduces more slop in the alignment.

(4) Once you raise it level with the transmission and you have guide bolts in place, you shouldn't need to raise/lower it over and over to align.

(5)Yes, but why? You would need to install a hanger to keep the engine from rocking on the rubber mounts and tearing one apart, plus to prevent bashing the firewall.

You could put the transmission in place, 1/2 inch out, with longer bolts SNUGGED, not tightened, so that the transmission holds the engine.

If you posted where you live in your profile, maybe someone close would stop by and give you a hand. Amazing what having a little support can do for getting things fixed.

Did you use the right throwout bearing for the clutch disk? The typical three finger are different than the typical diaphragm. One way to check is to push in the clutch pedal or pull the clutch fork to depress the clutch** and see if it moves. If it doesn't, then you have bottomed the throwout between the transmission and the clutch because it was too long.

** - DO NOT do this unless the transmission is still in place. Otherwise, the clutch disk will fall down and you will have to dig it out and lift it up to the right alignment point.
The following users liked this post:
Powershift (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
most people don't have one of those, I do; BUT the clutch disc for my Keisler is 26 spline so now I need to find another one.... anyone have 1 to spare?

the plastic ones that come with clutch kits suk...

Bill
I went on Ebay a few years back and checked for used trans input shafts for the old Muncies. Found one in decent condition on the input shaft (pilot bearing) end and bought it. Then had a local area machine shop cut it down and cut off the gear, and put a nice design on the end for me to grab.

When I was still working for UCC, the guys in the machine shop would do this for me for free as a favor in their spare time. That or my Fluor-Daniel construction crew.

My Dad (Ford Dealership Mechanic) gave me all the ones he had when he put up his wrenches many years ago, but they are all for FORDS and MERCURYS. Some for the old flathead engine transmissions.

Oh well................now I have a collection of at least 8 or 9.....maybe more. But like other garage tools, you can always use one more.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 09-06-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Larry
thanks for the thought....

I just checked ebay and did a google search and can't find anything.
Bill
Old 09-06-2016, 06:38 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by wmf62
Larry
thanks for the thought....

I just checked ebay and did a google search and can't find anything.
Bill
Speeedway sells one with 26 spline input. Kinda pricey at $60, but it isn't plastic.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:42 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Speeedway sells one with 26 spline input. Kinda pricey at $60, but it isn't plastic.
thanks, I appreciate the effort, i'd like to find one out of a junk transmission; I don't use one very often, so hopefully it would be cheaper.
Bill
Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, no luck today. I think I will begin to dismantle everything tomorrow and start over again. Thanks to all of you who offered your experience. I told my wife that if I ever died and went to Hell, the first thing the Devil would do is make me remove/install Muncie transmissions in old C2 Corvettes on my back forever..
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

My neighbor came knocking on my door with a similar issue. He tried for a few hours with no luck and then came for help.
He is younger, bigger and much stronger than I so this was not a physical advantage but I looked at where he was and how he was stuck, I slipped the trans into a gear so it was not in neutral, this way I could work the tranny and put a little more twist on the clutch and it helped.
It popped in on the first try, maybe 1 minute total. My neighbor was very embarrassed but very thankful since he was at it so long with no success.
I think it helps if you have done it a few times so you know what it feels like and what is normal so you know when to back off and when to shove it in.
Sometimes just another set of eyes or an extra hand makes it all go easy. Hope you have similar luck.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Well, no luck today. I think I will begin to dismantle everything tomorrow and start over again. Thanks to all of you who offered your experience. I told my wife that if I ever died and went to Hell, the first thing the Devil would do is make me remove/install Muncie transmissions in old C2 Corvettes on my back forever..
Replacing the evaporator core on a factory AC C2 car.......especially during the heat of the summer.............is probably an even more challenging project.

Hang in there, you will finish it one day soon and be back on the road.

Larry
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
My neighbor came knocking on my door with a similar issue. He tried for a few hours with no luck and then came for help.
He is younger, bigger and much stronger than I so this was not a physical advantage but I looked at where he was and how he was stuck, I slipped the trans into a gear so it was not in neutral, this way I could work the tranny and put a little more twist on the clutch and it helped.
It popped in on the first try, maybe 1 minute total. My neighbor was very embarrassed but very thankful since he was at it so long with no success.
I think it helps if you have done it a few times so you know what it feels like and what is normal so you know when to back off and when to shove it in.
Sometimes just another set of eyes or an extra hand makes it all go easy. Hope you have similar luck.
I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread...trans IN gear!
Old 09-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by ILBMF
I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread...trans IN gear!
If it's not in gear, you can't rotate the input shaft to align the clutch and trans input splines if needed. Sometimes needed, and sometimes not.

Larry
Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

SherpaPilot, if you are interested I can loan you a clutch alignment tool free of charge. All you have to do is send it off to someone else when you are done with it. Forum member 427Hotrod has it now. Just send him a PM with your address and he will send it to you.

Please visit the post below for the details of the tool.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-future.html
Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to borrow an old output shift from my tranny shop. Yesterday I removed the transmission, bell housing and clutch. Sure enough, the brass bushing was slightly deformed on the outboard lip, just enough to inhibit the entry of the transmission. After a lot of cleaning up and polishing both the bushing and the shaft, the clutch was re-installed and properly aligned. I used a 90 degree square and noted the position on the tunnel once the alignment shaft was fully seated. The new clutch, bell housing and transmission were installed. The transmission once again refused to travel the last 1.5 inches to the bell. I forced my wife to get in the car and depress the clutch while I worked the transmission from below. Just as you guys suggested, it fell in flush with the housing. I couldn't believe my eyes and quickly bolted it together. Lesson learned here: Never use those plastic alignment tools. I have nothing but the easy parts remaining to finish up this job.

Thank you to all of you that offered your advice: it was very helpful..

Last edited by SherpaPilot; 09-08-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Powershift
Race Director

I was able to borrow an old output shift from my tranny shop. Yesterday I removed the transmission, bell housing and clutch. Sure enough, the brass bushing was slightly deformed on the outboard lip, just enough to inhibit the entry of the transmission. After a lot of cleaning up and polishing both the bushing and the shaft, the clutch was re-installed and properly aligned. I used a 90 degree square and noted the position on the tunnel once the alignment shaft was fully seated. The new clutch, bell housing and transmission were installed. The transmission once again refused to travel the last 1.5 inches to the bell. I forced my wife to get in the car and depress the clutch while I worked the transmission from below. Just as you guys suggested, it fell in flush with the housing. I couldn't believe my eyes and quickly bolted it together. Lesson learned here: Never use those plastic alignment tools. I have nothing but the easy parts remaining to finish up this job.

Thank you to all of you that offered your advice: it was very helpful..
I am very happy that you were finally able to complete this job. The lessons learned will never be forgotten, and the next one () will be much smoother and easier.

Larry
Old 09-09-2016, 06:50 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I I forced my wife to get in the car and depress the clutch while I worked the transmission from below. Just as you guys suggested, it fell in flush with the housing.
They are always so suspicious when summoned to the garage for a little help. You would think they were being asked to get under the car and slide the transmission in. Good deal it's solved.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:00 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

This always worked for me. I lock the trans in reverse and a forward gea. That makes the input shaft one with the trans. Then I twist the trans to verify that the spline is in the clutch plate. You can feel that because the trans will not twist any more. Then I know all that is left is to get into the bushing.

Dom
Old 09-09-2016, 02:28 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with Domenic - it always helps to lock the gears by reverse plus a forward gear. Then, one can rock the trans side to side to realign the splines of the input shart with those of the clutch disk.

The last 1/2 inch of the problem should be easy IF the disk is really centered; however, I have never found that the plastic dummy alignment tool is of a large enough diameter at the tip to assure an accurate alignment.

As a workaround, before starting to tighten the bolts of the pressure plate, oscillate the end of the alignment tool in a small circle to average out the excess clearance within the pilot bushing. By doing this as the PP bolts are incremently snugged, one can get a feel for the disk becoming centered. With practice, one can get the alignment centered enough so one doesn't have to have a helper press the clutch pedal in to free the disk.

I am very annoyed that the manufacturer of these alignment tools can't make them the same diameter as the tip of a real input gear!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:33 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Back to the original question: To move the car without the trans holding the back of the engine... What I do is place a 2x4 across the fenders at the bell housing area with thick rubber pads to keep the board off the paint, and use a ratchet tiedown strap around the board to hold up the end of the motor. (One may need to screw in a couple of long 3/8" bolts at the lower trans mount holes in the block if the bellhousing is not present.)
Old 09-10-2016, 03:17 AM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by larrywalk
Back to the original question: To move the car without the trans holding the back of the engine... What I do is place a 2x4 across the fenders at the bell housing area with thick rubber pads to keep the board off the paint, and use a ratchet tiedown strap around the board to hold up the end of the motor. (One may need to screw in a couple of long 3/8" bolts at the lower trans mount holes in the block if the bellhousing is not present.)
Larry,
Right on, I have a old input shaft that works great and as you say if rotated all is centered. Thing is not to forget to move the reverse lever out of reverse, right!

Dom
Old 09-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

PARTY ON!!!!!!! The clutch is in, a couple hours of parts install and you are driving again. Glad it worked out.

Quick Reply: [C2] Moving a C2 Without the Transmission