C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 door hinge arm bushing hole

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Mike_1959
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 door hinge arm bushing hole

I removed my doors on 1959 and dissembled the door hinges to replace the pins and bushings. after getting them cleaned up I found that the bushings are sloppy in the hinge arm hole. measuring the holes they are .435" and the new bushings OD are .420" is this a normal hole size in the C1 hinge arm?

it seems like they should fit snug in the hinge arm.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if they just went with it.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:19 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_1959
I removed my doors on 1959 and dissembled the door hinges to replace the pins and bushings. after getting them cleaned up I found that the bushings are sloppy in the hinge arm hole. measuring the holes they are .435" and the new bushings OD are .420" is this a normal hole size in the C1 hinge arm?

it seems like they should fit snug in the hinge arm.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if they just went with it.
I believe you can buy oversize bushings to compensate.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:29 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Just went thru that on my 57.
Apparently the bushing come in different sizes as do the pins though no dimensions are given. Pot luck as to which vendor you choose.

also the serations below the cap of the pin extend down too far and lock the upper bushig which makes it turn in the hinge.

I turned down the serations to miss catching the bushing. Bet you can see some very slight seration impressions in the top bushing on the original

Look in a good autobody fastener catalog online, they sometimes give dimensions and forget which car model, just look at dimensions.

Some vendors sell short pins, others long pins you need to cut, some flat heads, some domed, all with long serations. Some pins just fit in the old bushings.

Doc Rebuild and some others sell just the bushings but no dimensions.

Bushings from any source, just need to break out the digital calipers and play. also the new bushings are way shorter than originals.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You can buy oversize bushings from Dorman....some folks buy two sets and cut the flange off one set, beat/press those pieces down into the hole, followed by the other set with the flange and install the pin. That way you have basically double-bushed the hinge and made the arrangement stronger. I used the Dorman 38400 kit but you should confirm what your car needs. The kit comes with two, different size bushings...sometimes you have to cut the pin to length. O'Reilly stocks the kit.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-04-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Here is another source, that gives dimensions

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Doo...hings_s/85.htm
Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Mike_1959
7th Gear

Default Dorman bushings

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can buy oversize bushings from Dorman....some folks buy two sets and cut the flange off one set, beat/press those pieces down into the hole, followed by the other set with the flange and install the pin. That way you have basically double-bushed the hinge and made the arrangement stronger. I used the Dorman 38400 kit but you should confirm what your car needs. The kit comes with two, different size bushings...sometimes you have to cut the pin to length. O'Reilly stocks the kit.
The Dorman 38400 bushings kit will work great, I can run a .470" reamer through the hing arm holes to clean them up, and fine tune the holes with wet dry sandpaper on a rod until they have a .001-.002 press fit. I found Orelly's auto parts sell them so I ordered enough to double up on the bushings: four in each hinge arm.

Thank you for your help, I was a little stuck and though I may have needed new hinges.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Mike_1959
The Dorman 38400 bushings kit will work great, I can run a .470" reamer through the hing arm holes to clean them up, and fine tune the holes with wet dry sandpaper on a rod until they have a .001-.002 press fit. I found Orelly's auto parts sell them so I ordered enough to double up on the bushings: four in each hinge arm.

Thank you for your help, I was a little stuck and though I may have needed new hinges.
If you do as you've stated, you'll never have to deal with those hinges again
Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Mike_1959
7th Gear

Default Door hinge bushings

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you do as you've stated, you'll never have to deal with those hinges again
Today I reamed all the hinge arm holes and got them to size with sand paper on a 3/8 rod with a slot cut in it, wrapped sandpaper around it and chucked it up in a drill. all of the bushings were press fit except one I could press it in by hand so I put bearing Loctite on it a pushed it into place.

Now i'm waiting on a Corvette Aero-Rivet Tool for setting the hinge spring rivets.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 door hinge arm bushing hole

Quick Reply: C1 door hinge arm bushing hole