C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Raised White Letter tires Getting obsolete

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:22 AM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

I'll tell you what, IF Firestone ever made a radial 'Wide Oval' or Goodyear made a radial small letter 'Polyglas' with 1970 appearing sidewall....[and kept them affordable say $125 a pop] They would sell every one they could make.

Something can't come back in style if there is no product out there.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (10-09-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-...te-letter.html

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires2.html

They still make Firestone Wide O Ovals and Goodyear Polyglas tires.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
a 'bit' pricey....

Bill
Old 10-08-2016, 10:28 AM
karkrafter
Drifting

Key word in my post was RADIAL....
Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
a 'bit' pricey....

Bill
If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Originally Posted by karkrafter
Key word in my post was RADIAL....
Yep, no radial comparables.......
Old 10-08-2016, 12:08 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

Geez... tough crowd! 40 years after having my 1st '57, which was a "day 2" car, I intend on making my current one look almost identical to it, which will include having Cragars with RWL tires on them. Yes, I am trying to harken back to a period in time:

Not sure yet if I'll paint the brake drums Chevy engine orange, though. But if I go to Goodwill, I'll bet I can find a nice set of bell bottom jeans! (Albeit it in a slightly larger size.)

Rich
Old 10-08-2016, 01:00 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Originally Posted by MidShark
Geez... tough crowd! Yes, I am trying to harken back to a period in time:

Not sure yet if I'll paint the brake drums Chevy engine orange, though.

Rich

Every drum brake car I own, and there is a ton of 'em has RED brake drums. Hell the Olds has Red drums AND RWL Tires!!
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2016, 01:05 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorson
Which part looks silly? Is it the goofy flares or the white letters on the tires?
Neither one!
Old 10-08-2016, 01:07 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

If you wanna play, you gotta pay.
Chuck
sometimes it doesn't matter how much you pay, it still turns to shet....
Bill
Old 10-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by BD104X
Thank you! If you want period-correct, go with redlines. If you want modern, go with black walls. If you want to look confused & stuck in the 80's, go RWL! Whenever I see RWL's I think of the Dukes of Hazzard & chrome naked lady mud flaps.
RWL's came out in the 70's and were prominent on the muscle cars of the era and MANY C-2's also upgraded to those radials for the same reasons. In fact, many of us might argue that they are period correct to want that look now. I get that you and Chuck don't like them, but why slam the guys that do? Can't imagine what you would think about Wide Whitewalls on the early cars, never mind, no need to offend all those guys with the early cars also.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pilot Dan:
59BlueSilver (10-10-2016), MidShark (10-09-2016), Stan's Customs (10-09-2016), tuxnharley (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 08:05 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Which part looks silly? Is it the goofy flares or the white letters on the tires?
Neither. In THIS picture it's the goofy nose-up/tail-down reverse-rake ("gasser"?) stance The first two pics show a VERY nice C2 street custom, BETTER than stock IMO.

Last edited by sub006; 10-08-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 AM
Heeia1
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's Mine

I have Mastercraft Avenger G/Ts. They seem to be fine for handling, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 AM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
RWL's came out in the 70's and were prominent on the muscle cars of the era and MANY C-2's also upgraded to those radials for the same reasons. In fact, many of us might argue that they are period correct to want that look now. I get that you and Chuck don't like them, but why slam the guys that do? Can't imagine what you would think about Wide Whitewalls on the early cars, never mind, no need to offend all those guys with the early cars also.
I shared my opinion because this is a discussion about why RWL's are becoming obsolete and the reason why they are obsolete is because they are very much "out of style " if you will. If a friend was wearing something out of style at a party I wouldn't say anything, but if he came out of the dressing room at a store and asked me what I though, I'm gonna be honest! Me and the others on here who are making fun of RWL's didn't just jump all over some guy at random. It's your car, do whatever you want - RWL's, wear bell bottoms, grow a mullet - look as silly as you want... God bless America!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:09 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MidShark
Geez... tough crowd!

Rich
I like the old-school look of these on my 396; 3 of the 4 BFG Trans Am shoes were all I had.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I disagree with RWL tires being 'out of style' for these cars. If you want to be 'in style' currently, you need to install those atrocious 18" and up Ghetto Wheels that are all the rage with the gang-banger set. These cars are 'out of style', being 50+ years old....it is totally appropriate to have period correct or Day Two tires and wheels on them...and just as appropriate to have the Beatles, Doors, or Deep Purple playing on the stereo when you drive them. To each his own. I also have red brake drums on my RWL-equipped GTO...works for me!
Attached Images  
MidShark (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Yes, raised white letters are getting hard to find. So are leisure suits, bell bottoms & mullets, and for the same reason!
I shared my opinion because this is a discussion about why RWL's are becoming obsolete and the reason why they are obsolete is because they are very much "out of style " if you will. If a friend was wearing something out of style at a party I wouldn't say anything, but if he came out of the dressing room at a store and asked me what I though, I'm gonna be honest! Me and the others on here who are making fun of RWL's didn't just jump all over some guy at random. It's your car, do whatever you want - RWL's, wear bell bottoms, grow a mullet - look as silly as you want... God bless America!
Yes you are right the OP asked about RWL tires, people responded with their pics and input and then YOU decided to turn this into a dissing of everyone else because YOU did not agree with their opinions (which are MOST people who responded to this thresd). You also miss the point, THESE ARE OLD CARS it's not quite the same as dressing in a leisure suit today. Also, threads like this that seek opinion are just that, so you can loose the condescending attitude and show some respect to the rest of us. Do you also go around and insult people at car shows if you don't like their cars??
tuxnharley (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 10:37 PM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Yes you are right the OP asked about RWL tires, people responded with their pics and input and then YOU decided to turn this into a dissing of everyone else because YOU did not agree with their opinions (which are MOST people who responded to this thresd). You also miss the point, THESE ARE OLD CARS it's not quite the same as dressing in a leisure suit today. Also, threads like this that seek opinion are just that, so you can loose the condescending attitude and show some respect to the rest of us. Do you also go around and insult people at car shows if you don't like their cars??
Sorry Pilot Dan, but that's the beauty of an opinion - yours is worth the exact same as mine. If an old guy dresses in a leisure suit, people give him a pass because he's old - not because he looks any less silly. Me giving my opinion on this is no different than when someone on here is asking what is the widest tire they can fit and some old timer weighs in about how these cars don't look right with anything other than a 5" wide bias ply. I've seen plenty of threads on here where an old timer weighs in on a resto-mod and says that they should have just bought a C7 if they want modern technology, and that is no less condescending. Just for the record , I'm 45 years old - I may be a bit younger than many on here, so while I'm not advocating 21" wheels and low profile tires, I'm also of the opinion that just because these cars are older they don't necessarily have to look like they just rolled out of a time machine. That's the beauty of these cars - just like opinions, we each get to do what we want. You don't have to like mine and I don't have to like yours. My opinion may be the minority on this forum but if I was that far off base we wouldn't be using words like "obsolete" & "hard to find". As I said earlier, I would never go to a car show insult someone's car, but if I got into a discussion with him about RWL's I would certainly tell him how I feel. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Last edited by BD104X; 10-09-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Raised White Letter tires Getting obsolete

Old 10-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

BD104X system antagonist
Moderators should get on this.

Last edited by Thorson; 10-10-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:32 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

BD104X system antagonist
Moderators should get on this.
I don't find his comments particularly offensive, afterall they are his opinion; there are far worse individuals on this forum and, even worse, we have a pair of dikheads running for president... (...and that's my opinion (and I do stand for the national anthem....))

Bill
BD104X (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 02:28 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wmf62
I don't find his comments particularly offensive, afterall they are his opinion; there are far worse individuals on this forum and, even worse, we have a pair of dikheads running for president... (...and that's my opinion (and I do stand for the national anthem....))

Bill
Just something strange with these posts. Maybe it's something with my devices, but I can't view a post from that guy until it's been replied to.
Then it's all about mullets and leisure suits.
The thread was about RWL tires going obsolete but that's ridiculous. They haven't been out of production and have always been available.
It was great that he made some calls though. You can tell he's a swell egg!
I'm not sure that he's clear on what obsolete means in this context. We're talking about tires for 1960's cars. Redlines, Goldlines, BlueStreaks are ok? Billboards and BFG's not ok?

Quick Reply: Raised White Letter tires Getting obsolete