C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

One thing leads to another.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default One thing leads to another.

Thur. of last week I did a 154 mile drive in the '67. During that drive I ragged on the motor once to clear some creeping traffic. That's no big deal, done it before. Fri evening I went to start the car and there was complete silence. Shook my head, scratched my, oh never mind. Hooked it to the trickle charger to be ready for a car show Sat. Sat AM, hit the key and got lots of rapid clicking. Went through all the checks and tests with multi meter…DOA battery. No amp draw etc. I apparently drove home Thur on the battery. The battery was 4.6 yrs old. Good friend comes over with his big wheeled charger. I wanted to jump it to have the car out side. It started and I notice my Tuff Stuff 100 Amp alternator shaking on the ProForm mount…not a good sign. I throttled it a couple of time and I heard the belt squeal. That was a new sound. Looked closely and found the rear mount cracked. Put the car back in the garage until Mon. Monday Am purchased new battery w/700CCA and had the mount welded. Tues I put everything back. You know how much fun it is to change out a battery in our basic cars. Turned the key and she spun and spun and spun. NO fire, I thought I had flooded the it. At this point I'm tired and just quite for the day. :toe tap: Wed AM I hit the key and she came too life, but ran horribly, smoking exhaust, set the smoke alarm off in the garage, I'm coughing, WTH? Carb float stuck? Took the top half off of the carb, didn't find thing obvious. Knowing how fouled the plugs would be, I decided to pull 'em and clean 'em. I used the vise grips to hold each plug against the wire wheel. I get the first four done and go to the fifth. As I turn right toward the bench grinder for the fifth time, the inside of my left middle finger brushed the grinder wheel. It did not get caught, as there is a shield over the wheel, but it happened in a mili-second. I still have my finger minus a few ounces of flesh. What a scare I walk in the house and wife see the blood and starts going toward freaking out, but I held her in check, I'm a former EMT. First aide rendered.
The first pic shows the weld repair. Second shows the new battery, Third shows all 8 plugs with left side cleaned, Fourth show the blurred 5th plug. The sixth is the meat grinder and last is is my salute finger.
This was a little scary knowing how bad it could have been. I do my best to stay safe whenever working, but s__t happens. Be safe out there! Dennis
Attached Images       

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 10-19-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Just don' wave at a cop...

So, Does the car run now or not...
Old 10-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Not yet, plugs are on the work bench. Get too it tomorrow or Fri. for show on Sat. Dennis
Old 10-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Whoa, Dennis . . . sorry to hear your bad luck. Hope you get it running great for the show this weekend!

Tom
Old 10-19-2016, 10:17 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Thoughts
#1) sounds like some crud got shook loose on the drive and lodged in your carb
#2) time for a new set of plugs and/or a plug blaster (basically a small bag with blasting media hooked to compressed air)
#3) where's the blood spatter?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Thoughts
#1) sounds like some crud got shook loose on the drive and lodged in your carb
#2) time for a new set of plugs and/or a plug blaster (basically a small bag with blasting media hooked to compressed air)
#3) where's the blood spatter?

The carb issue happened in the driveway/garage.
The first 4 plugs cleaned up like new.
I made it to the sink.
Finishing this up, especially putting the plugs back in is not simple since I really can't use my left hand/finger. Bending the finger is out since the ripped area covers both joints. It's a PIA! Dennis
Old 10-20-2016, 05:31 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Dennis,

What heat range are the spark plugs, I am using heat range 5 in my 67 300hp car.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tbarb
Dennis,

What heat range are the spark plugs, I am using heat range 5 in my 67 300hp car.
I use nothing now but NGK-XR4 plugs, cheap, widely available and cross over to the 5-6 heat range and burn perfectly.

I use a manual wire brush to clean my plugs if needed and that's VERY seldom, if they foul badly enough they won't come clean with a few swipes of the stiff-bristled steel brush then I just swap in a new set...

I would never clean plugs with any kind of blast media!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-20-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Grinder

At least the grinder made it out alive! Glad that there was no serious damage to your hand. Sometimes it's better to put things aside and go have a beer. Jerry
Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Glad your finger wasn't hurt more seriously. You're lucky. I just don't clean spark plugs. If I go to the trouble of pulling them, I just put new ones in.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
Jackfit (10-21-2016), SLWRNU (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

tbarb, Plugs are AC R45S. Running that range for years with the Jacobs CDI gaped at .050. Couldn't ask for a better running engine, in both power and milage.
Jerry, Thats exactly what I did and will probably continue resting, but not drinking the beer for 2-3 days.
Frankie, The plugs were not real bad, just enough to make me do more work.
Capevettes, Yes, I was very lucky Dennis
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Dennis,

Recommend you don't use a wire brush on spark plug ceramic insulators (especially the combustion side). The wires leave minute conductive particles embedded in the ceramic, which are now an "arc path" across the insulator, rather than jumping at the gap. And it only takes one swipe with a wire brush.

Get new plugs......

You will heal, but be careful!

Plasticman
Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

John, That's a bit of useful info. Now, who has the equivalent plug of a AC R45S if I can't get AC's. Dennis
Old 10-20-2016, 02:49 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
John, That's a bit of useful info. Now, who has the equivalent plug of a AC R45S if I can't get AC's. Dennis
Dennis,

If you're using a CD ignition, I assume its secondary voltage is on the order of 50 kV to fire across a 0.050" gap. Am I in the ballpark? If that's near true, then I don't understand why your plugs are so black even given the fact that it flooded and cranked. Looks like they've been very rich for a long time.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Dennis,

If you're using a CD ignition, I assume its secondary voltage is on the order of 50 kV to fire across a 0.050" gap. Am I in the ballpark? If that's near true, then I don't understand why your plugs are so black even given the fact that it flooded and cranked. Looks like they've been very rich for a long time.
Uh! Good point and as I said above NGK-XR4s are the best plug I've found; if not the Autolite 86s will serve...
Old 10-20-2016, 03:10 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I use nothing now but NGK-XR4 plugs, cheap, widely available and cross over to the 5-6 heat range and burn perfectly.

I use a manual wire brush to clean my plugs if needed and that's VERY seldom, if they foul badly enough they won't come clean with a few swipes of the stiff-bristled steel brush then I just swap in a new set...

Frankie,
I have a champion plug tester and cleaner that I stopped using because the blasting compound would get stuck between the insulator and plug body. Also I felt that it removed material. We clean plugs almost weekly here and the thing that doesn't take any material or gets stuck in the tight areas is my bead blaster. Does them in a few seconds and a blast with the air hose when done and a wire wheel on the threads makes them look new. I agree that the plugs are cheap enough to replace once they are out, but some of the plugs we clean & gap cost more than 100.00 each. If I do a compression test on a car with good plugs I give them a blast because it only takes a few seconds for each one. I couldn't do without the bead blaster. problem is it actually ends up being a dust blast and a bunch of it gets sucked out thru the vacuum filter.

Dom
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Dennis,

Your in the ballpark. If you could have seen and heard how bad it ran for 15 sec, and the amount of fuel dumped, it's directly related to the overall mess. And that was preceeded by the fact when I initially got it running after the big jump, it idled for ten min in the driveway. It does have a rich idle. That is my secondary issue I will deal with after I did a jet change last month. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To One thing leads to another.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Your in the ballpark. If you could have seen and heard how bad it ran for 15 sec, and the amount of fuel dumped, it's directly related to the overall mess. And that was preceeded by the fact when I initially got it running after the big jump, it idled for ten min in the driveway. It does have a rich idle. That is my secondary issue I will deal with after I did a jet change last month. Dennis
That sounds OK for the left bank, but the right bank has a problem. 2,4,6,8 look like they are oil fouled as well as being too rich.

Once you clean or change your plugs, get the car at a steady cruise for 30 miles or so, put in the clutch, shut it off, coast and pull off to a safe spot, pull the plugs (especially the passenger side) and shoot new pictures, I (we) can't tell you anything.

Joe

PS: Before I installed the MSD 6AL, I was cleaning plugs every 500 miles and I used a wire wheel on electrodes and insulators. No problem. The car would run at the track until they fouled again. Now I haven't replaced plugs in 2 years......maybe 5000 miles...............and engine runs beautifully to 7500 RPM when the rev limiter kicks in. No hiccups, no farts. I use NGK plugs as well. I was using NGK XR4 plugs when my engine was still sporting double humps.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 10-20-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That sounds OK for the left bank, but the right bank has a problem. 2,4,6,8 look like they are oil fouled as well as being too rich.

Once you clean or change your plugs, get the car at a steady cruise for 30 miles or so, put in the clutch, shut it off, coast and pull off to a safe spot, pull the plugs (especially the passenger side) and shoot new pictures, I (we) can't tell you anything.

Joe

PS: Before I installed the MSD 6AL, I was cleaning plugs every 500 miles and I used a wire wheel on electrodes and insulators. No problem. The car would run at the track until they fouled again. Now I haven't replaced plugs in 2 years......maybe 5000 miles...............and engine runs beautifully to 7500 RPM when the rev limiter kicks in. No hiccups, no farts. I use NGK plugs as well. I was using NGK XR4 plugs when my engine was still sporting double humps.
Joe, The 2, 3, 5, 7 are just as I pulled them. Wet with gas and sooted. NO oil fouling. I'll get bck on this in 3-4 days. I'm afraid to bump or bend my finger so it won't start bleeding gain. This stop action is driving me crazy. Dennis
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Really? You should try it sometime. The spark plug cleaner I had mounted to my work bench served me very well in my 2 stroke racing/engine building days. A shot of brake cleaner and a blast of compressed air afterwards and you're good to go:

Quick Reply: One thing leads to another.