C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT - hub centric rings

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

those appear to be 'unilug' style wheel from back in the 60's, made to be able to fit different makes/models by changing the oblong insert.

I had a set on my 64 Plymouth and don't remember having any problems; if the proper inserts are used and there is no slop between the insert edges and the wheel slot for the insert, then I reckon they will be OK.

but, it looks like someone has tried to use conventional tapered lugnuts without the inserts; definitely a no no...

possibly the reason the wheel won't fit back on is that the holes in the insert are offcenter and you might have turned the insert 180 degrees in the slot.

bill
The following users liked this post:
Punchy8504 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:58 AM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Punchy8504
So what would the recommendation be for my scenario?

I just picked up this '77 and here is what came with the car. The holes are slotted, there were inserts in some of them which seemed more like washers and as you can see I don't have all of the proper lug nuts.

I like these rims, but I will need to requisition proper nuts and inserts to get them to fit. The pictures aren't the best quality/lighting/angle but the first thing that came to mind were hub centric rings. The studs are barely long enough to poke through the rim but the proper nuts rectify that.

However with the hole in the rim being slotted it seems to me that there can be a lot of room for error and the rings would solve that. I plan on taking the car to my trusted tire guy and see what I can do but I'm just trying to see if I'm on the right path first by looking into getting the rings and the proper nuts and inserts.

The lug nut kit will come with center washers and off center washers which can be flipped to accommodate a total of 3 different lug bolt diameters. http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/KN2121/10002/-1
Punchy8504 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

So what would the recommendation be for my scenario?

I just picked up this '77 and here is what came with the car. The holes are slotted, there were inserts in some of them which seemed more like washers and as you can see I don't have all of the proper lug nuts.

I like these rims, but I will need to requisition proper nuts and inserts to get them to fit. The pictures aren't the best quality/lighting/angle but the first thing that came to mind were hub centric rings. The studs are barely long enough to poke through the rim but the proper nuts rectify that.

However with the hole in the rim being slotted it seems to me that there can be a lot of room for error and the rings would solve that. I plan on taking the car to my trusted tire guy and see what I can do but I'm just trying to see if I'm on the right path first by looking into getting the rings and the proper nuts and inserts.
AS indicated earlier, the are uni-lug wheels, an came with different inserts to accommodate different wheel bolt patterns.

Having said that, those wheel are NOT SAFE for driving on using the standard lug nuts and no inserts as you depicted in some of your pictures.
Punchy8504 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Punchy8504
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not safe. It was rolled onto a trailer and then rolled off. Those nuts are just there to hold the wheel on and aren't even torqued. The car had the left side wheels off and when we attempted to put them on they just wouldn't line up so we had to remove the inserts. And the nuts for the left side have disappeared.

Thanks muchly for the help! I will look into getting new inserts and nuts. Is ensuring that they're centered an issue or pretty easy to do?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Absolutely not safe. It was rolled onto a trailer and then rolled off. Those nuts are just there to hold the wheel on and aren't even torqued. The car had the left side wheels off and when we attempted to put them on they just wouldn't line up so we had to remove the inserts. And the nuts for the left side have disappeared.

Thanks muchly for the help! I will look into getting new inserts and nuts. Is ensuring that they're centered an issue or pretty easy to do?
with the correct inserts for a chevy bolt pattern and the inserts oriented correctly it should be a slam dunk

Bill

Quick Reply: OT - hub centric rings