C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water pump bypass hose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:35 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
This diagram should back up what you say about the suction side of the pump. The larger bypass openings in the top of the water pump will help prevent pump cavitation and also allow for more even engine warm up. Note the diagram says high flow during thermostat closed.
I remove this bypass hose system on race engines because it allows the hot coolant to bypass the rad by going right back into the pump. if you have a BB corvette that runs hot try blocking this bypass
Old 10-23-2016, 05:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
I remove this bypass hose system on race engines because it allows the hot coolant to bypass the rad by going right back into the pump. if you have a BB corvette that runs hot try blocking this bypass
This thread is about SB's. It is about why the bypass on top of the pump.

Maybe Kesolowski should have removed his bypass hose and he'd still be running?

Last edited by MikeM; 10-23-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

This thread is about SB's. It is about why the bypass on top of the pump.

Maybe Kesolowski should have removed his bypass hose and he'd still be running?
it is called a bypass hose for a reason because the coolant bypasses the rad for quicker warm up and keep the coolant circulating till the thermo opens. the standard bypass on a SBC is the 3/8' hole in the block and water pump where they bolt up but maybe that was not enough flow for the higher performance engines since it is only on one side so they did the intake to water pump bypassed

Last edited by PAmotorman; 10-23-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

it is called a bypass hose for a reason because the coolant bypasses the rad for quicker warm up and keep the coolant circulating till the thermo opens. the standard bypass on a SBC is the 3/8' hole in the block and water pump where they bolt up but maybe that was not enough flow for the higher performance engines since it is only on one side so they did the intake to water pump bypassed
That is exactly what I've said.

Jack smoked the field today, didn't he?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:00 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

That is exactly what I've said.

Jack smoked the field today, didn't he?
harvick pushed the 22 out front getting a few points in the bank from ford for next year. you did not say that you just copied from a magazine. you sound like Obama taking credit for what someone else said.

Last edited by PAmotorman; 10-23-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

harvick pushed the 22 out front getting a few points in the bank from ford for next year. you did not say that you just copied from a magazine. you sound like Obama taking credit for what someone else said.
Good information on why that bypass hose was designed to be like that is hard to find. Lot's of fairy tales if you look. You are correct about where I got the info though. Almost. I heard that years ago, long before Al Gore brought the internet to us.

Probably all or almost all engines have a water pump (thermostat) bypass to promote warm up and even cooling. Some even use a two stage thermostat to do the same thing.

You didn't answer my question about your race engines not having thermostats.

Who is obama?

Last edited by MikeM; 10-23-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Water pump bypass hose?