C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 63 and 66 Frames

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 PM
RLMeyers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 and 66 Frames

I am a neophyte at posting, so bear with me. I am hip deep in a 66 convertible restoration. The frame is in really tough shape. Years ago I bought a Southern California 63 frame in good shape. I am prepared to put the 63 frame under the body, but if there is anyone out there who would be willing to swap a 65 or 66 frame for a good 63 frame, or who is interested in buying a 63 frame so I could then buy a 65 or 66 frame, I would love to hear from them. I am doing this because I have been told that there are differences between the 63 and 66 frames. While I believe I can work around the differences, I would rather have the same year frame if possible. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Bob
Old 10-24-2016, 03:26 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by RLMeyers
I am a neophyte at posting, so bear with me. I am hip deep in a 66 convertible restoration. The frame is in really tough shape. Years ago I bought a Southern California 63 frame in good shape. I am prepared to put the 63 frame under the body, but if there is anyone out there who would be willing to swap a 65 or 66 frame for a good 63 frame, or who is interested in buying a 63 frame so I could then buy a 65 or 66 frame, I would love to hear from them. I am doing this because I have been told that there are differences between the 63 and 66 frames. While I believe I can work around the differences, I would rather have the same year frame if possible. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Bob
Bob,

I would recommend posting a WTT/WTB/WTS (want to trade/buy/sell) post in the C1/C2 parts for sale/wanted forum. I would also considering posting it on eBay and craigslist as well.

There are people looking for frames, but it is not an everyday occurrence, so patience is needed.

BUT, and this is the big BUT, you gotta post the thread and check it from time to time, bump it as necessary, and keep your PM box open and check it, too.

If you check the parts forum now, you'll see old threads resurrected with a post that goes something like "is this still for sale?"

Keep the faith, people are out looking for frames, and somebody will have the one you're looking for out there.

GLWS
The following users liked this post:
RLMeyers (10-27-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Although I have no personal knowledge of this, I have heard that many midyear frames are available for sale due to the popularity of resto-mods, which use aftermarket frames.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:10 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Although I have no personal knowledge of this, I have heard that many midyear frames are available for sale due to the popularity of resto-mods, which use aftermarket frames.
PM sent
Old 10-24-2016, 02:38 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

One thing I know of; the 65 & up frames have a different front (or 2nd) cross member to clear BB engines harmonic balancer. If you want to put in a BB, you will need to modify the 63 frame.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:31 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by colo63sw
One thing I know of; the 65 & up frames have a different front (or 2nd) cross member to clear BB engines harmonic balancer. If you want to put in a BB, you will need to modify the 63 frame.
Yes, that is correct. Not a big deal, though. Any competent fabricator can make it look really nice. Not sure but it seems like there are also some gussets, for lack of a better word at the rear where the kick up joins the main frame rails. Just remembered one other thing. The 63 number two, I think it is, body mount is a different (improved) setup over the 63 for body cushions.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 10-24-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 and 66 Frames

Quick Reply: [C2] 63 and 66 Frames