C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Last weekend a local insurance company had a Cars & Coffee event, I drove down there my 71 LT1 and my Father n law drove my 62 (used to be his), as I was walking through, looking at all the cars I noticed this guy leaning his butt against my 71, talking to some lady! Really WTF I walked up and asked him (as nice as I could) can you Please not lean against my car. He looks at me like I'm putting him out! and just stands there. So I walk off and about 5 minutes later I see this guy leaning against my car again this time with his hand against the car!!(Ok I'm Pissed off now) as I walk up to him, he see's me coming and walks off. Frick it i'm out, started up and left. I can't believe it, people have no respect for others belongings. Sure, my cars are no show cars, but they are very nice drivers and I take pride and care for my cars. I sure would like to have a conversation with that Jack ***!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:19 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I haven't had your experience but the jackasses of the world continue to reproduce. Any scuffs on the paint from him leaning on the car?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I attended a very large cruise night here in NY a few years ago with my 60. A guy pulled in next to me with a C3, he and his friend got out and walked away. A short time later I saw two guys get in the car and go through it. At the time I didn't realize it was not the owner and his pal. When they returned I told them what had happened. They where pretty pi$$ed off and immediately left. I rarely leave my car when I'm at these types of events.
The following users liked this post:
vwtdi (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
I haven't had your experience but the jackasses of the world continue to reproduce. Any scuffs on the paint from him leaning on the car?
no, thank god, but where his hands was, there was a dime sized smudge of something that took some time to get off. At first I thought it was a chip in my paint.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

as Rick stated, it's unfortunate that certain individuals are allow to propagate .....
Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My buddy Joe bought my '69 Charger project car off me in 2009. He made a General Lee replica out of it. Last year at a local cruise night, some Jack *** had the ***** (stupidity) to slide across the hood. The rivets in his jeans gouged the 2-month old paint job down to the metal. Turning a decent '69 Charger into ANOTHER General Lee replica may be frowned upon, but he did a nice job on it. No one deserves their hard work disrespected like that.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

You sound like a nice guy. Sorry to say it but, it just doesn't pay to be nice sometimes. Personally, I would have been all over that guy inquiring as to what the hell he's thinking.

I don't like being an A-hole but, unfortunately due to the lack of respect some of people, I find it to be a "necessary evil"!

I always place this sign in plain sight on my windshield when at shows. I snipped off the top and bottom of the sign which said "Please" and "Thank you", highlighted the "Don't", added the eyes and exclamation point.

Trimming made it easier to carry (It fits in my glove box now) and hasn't failed me, so far.

Gary

Anti-idiot signage!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

It's becoming more and more apparent as the years go by that both common sense and common courtesy are not only no longer common, but damned near non-existent. People today just do what they want, with no regard for others or their property. I don't like to generalize, but when boorish, discourteous behavior becomes the norm rather than the exception - to the point where taking your Corvette to a car show becomes less and less and less about having fun and more and more about getting the car home without damage - it's time to re-assess a bit. In my own case, my 1962 is enough of a driver that I don't worry all THAT much about people touching it or leaning on it (within reason), but there are always going to be those oblivious bottom-feeders who drag their snotty-nosed kid's stroller down the side of your car or think it's OK to just jump right in and start moving levers and pushing buttons. There used to be a fairly high standard of etiquette at car shows, and people respected one another's vehicles. Now, don't get me wrong - some shows are still like that, although they seem to be fewer and farther between.

And I know full well I'm preaching to the choir here. We have all seen this bad behavior, and too many have had their cars damaged by it. I try not to leave my car unattended, which seems to be the best deterrent. Even then, sometimes you need to speak up. I've had some of these cretins respond with "If you don't want people to touch your car, you shouldn't bring it to car shows." They don't seem to be able to understand what "car SHOW" means. Oh, well. Rant over, I feel better now.

Last edited by fyreline; 10-26-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
You sound like a nice guy. Sorry to say it but, it just doesn't pay to be nice sometimes. Personally, I would have been all over that guy inquiring as to what the hell he's thinking.

I don't like being an A-hole but, unfortunately due to the lack of respect some of people, I find it to be a "necessary evil"!

I always place this sign in plain sight on my windshield when at shows. I snipped off the top and bottom of the sign which said "Please" and "Thank you", highlighted the "Don't", added the eyes and exclamation point.

Trimming made it easier to carry (It fits in my glove box now) and hasn't failed me, so far.

Gary

Anti-idiot signage!

The problem is that too many people either can't read or refuse to acknowledge what "Don't Touch" means.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66

Gary

Anti-idiot signage!
Signage would help if people actually could read things. If there was a sign that said "CAUTION: this sign has sharp edges!" Someone would get cut on it.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Have posted the below previously:

Several years ago (before everyone had digital cameras), came back to the car and found a dad showing his son how to change the film in the camera, using my fender as a table........

A few years ago, was at a show at a local speciality car dealer, where they were grilling burgers, all just upwind from our cars. Spent several hours afterwards removing burger grease and rewaxing the Vette.

Plasticman
Old 10-26-2016, 01:19 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default 62 front fender and greasey potato chips, perfect together

Two teen girls eating a bag of potato chips while sitting on the front fender of my 62 caused me some consternation.

If a leaner didn't immediately get his butt off my vette I'd be in his face with real scary eyes and a smile turned upside down.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:45 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Yep - that's why no one typically sees my Corvette or Cobra rep at car shows/cruise nights. I usually take my GTX which could stand new paint anyway. Fortunately no one has stolen the 440 hood ornament or the engine compartment data plate. I've seen some real goobers at car shows - a gal sitting on the fender of a Cobra replica to have her picture taken. I followed one mother and her 4 or 5 year old through an entire cruise night one night after watching him climb on to the painted running boards of a hot rod and jump up and down. Every car they approached I said something to her about watching her son. Probably lucky she didn't call the cops and report stalking. She finally gathered him up and ran off looking back over her shoulder to see if I was following.

Our car club is folding up shop this year (Hell - most of us died already anyway). A lot of us just got tired of being asked to organize or participate in car shows oriented towards families and non-car people. Standard response from the group was - sounds like it will attract a bunch of kids - count me out.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

This is why I haven't taken any of my cars to a cruise night or show in 15+ years, and I have no plans to do so ever again.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:55 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I find that most culprits are OBLIVIOUS more than malicious...

We here are all "car people", and know that that touching them (or using them as table tops!) can cause damage. The average guy driving a honda civic really has no concept that a car is something to respect.

I have been to several shows lately where the ORGANIZERS have signs and make PA announcements to "NOT TOUCH" any of the cars on display. Sadly, this is needed.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:05 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,433 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I was in ISCA for many years
I was in Cinci for a show....big show 3 days I think.
Car was up on blocks, roped off with stantions. light and mirrors etc....
I was sitting across from the car
Guy climbs across the ropes - swings the door all the open and gets in the car
He is sitting in the car (I had tweed covered swivel seats)
Needless to saw he got a real rude awakening after I jerked him out of the car.....
Old 10-26-2016, 02:36 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, and in this neck of the woods, they charge you $10.00 to subject your car to this type of behavior! (And they let the ******** in for free!)

Last edited by tubman; 10-26-2016 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tubman:
59BlueSilver (10-27-2016), 64Corvette (10-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've been to Old Town Florida once since June and I drove my Tundra that day just to meet the new owner of my '61. About over it. Earlier in the year, I had my car puked on -- yes somebody puked on my PS split window fender while I ate dinner and a spectator told me about it when I returned to the car.

Next a Latino lady whose umpteen dozen kids were laying all over the headlight buckets got mad when I asked her to get them under control and said in a heavy accent that if I didn't want my car touched I shouldn't bring it there and made a big show of laying across the hood of the E-type Jaguar next to me (owner was absent) just to show her disdain for my attitude.

Foreigners are the worst - sorry about being PC but they just flat don't understand the muscle car era and the cars are just pretty extensions to the Florida theme park scene to be touched, leaned on and I even had one lady try to get in my '61.

Exceptions are the British, New Zealanders, Ozzies, Scandanavians, Germans and a few others. These countrymen seem to be true car people..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-26-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:23 PM
my63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Fyreline. Its just crazy how people are now days and quite frankly I'm tired of it. I recently had a guy open his car door into my car at a club car show event, and put a huge gouge all the way down to the primer. When I called him on it, he denied it and told me to pound sand. I explained to him that I had a witness and he still denied it. So, i sued him in court and he was ordered to pay for the repair. It took three months to get my money but I got it. My point is, these are the type of people out there and sometimes they are the very people in our own clubs.

I've got to the point where I keep my vehicle in my sight and I'm not nice when I catch people sitting against or touching my car. It just doesn't pay to be nice anymore.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

You just can not fix STUPID PEOPLE

Quick Reply: Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee