C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

power brake master cyl rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:26 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default power brake master cyl rebuild?

I have my working 65 power brake master cyl that I would like to get rebuilt while the car is down. who? and how much? give me your thoughts guys...thanks troy
Old 06-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Lone Star calipers in Texas or White post. there is rebuild kits you can do it your self
Old 06-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Lone Star calipers in Texas or White post. there is rebuild kits you can do it your self
Rebuild it yourself if you feel it is not corroded inside. Otherwise send out for sleeving and rebuild to LS, White Post, or Apple Hydraulics.

Larry
Old 06-14-2017, 09:20 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Both the master cylinder and the booster can be rebuilt by the average hot rodder.
The master cylinder is simple parts replacement if there is no pitting or wear in the cylinder. A hone will clean up minor imperfections, but, if you find pitting and want to save the original master cylinder, you are probably better off sending it to a rebuilder to be bored and sleeved.
If you are not dealing with the original, I found the new master cylinders are almost as cheap as the rebuild kits and come with a warrantee. Hope you don't mind "Made in China".

The booster requires a press set up to disassemble the two halves of the case. Once inside you have the diaphragm and seals and springs. I have done a couple, but would consider sending it out now.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Powershift
Rebuild it yourself if you feel it is not corroded inside. Otherwise send out for sleeving and rebuild to LS, White Post, or Apple Hydraulics.

Larry
larry, do you know how to contact these guys?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round
larry, do you know how to contact these guys?
Yes.

For Lone Star just google the name for contact information. I would ask for Ken as he is the main guy and deals with us Corvette types. They advertise that they sell wholesale.........and they do to just about all the Corvette supply companies.......but they will work with us on special retail requests. Ken says he wants to keep us happy.........although he also says that is nearly impossible.

Same for Apple Hydraulics and White Post. Google is your friend. Apple and Lone Star will sleeve with stainless, whereas White Post prefers to use (or will only use) brass sleeves.

All three companies are top notch.

However, recently, most or all of the companies now state that DOT 5 brake fluid will void any warranty. Lone Star was bending these rules to help us guys, but may now be saying "no more warranty with DOT 5" I dunno anymore......just ask for their most recent thinking/policy.

DOT 3/4 is not bad at all if you flush your system every 4-5 years. If you were to try DOT 5, only buy from a MAJOR ESTABLISHED SOURCE. I buy SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Corporation) DOT 5 and have for years with no issues. There are strong arguments from both sides about brake fluid quality and specs. Check our archives and previous post for more on this......one just a few weeks ago.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 06-14-2017 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
20round (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I had a leak in my original 65 style power brake master cylinder. I ordered the kit shown below, sanded out the chamber, replaced these parts and never had another problem.

The following users liked this post:
20round (06-15-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Yes.

For Lone Star just google the name for contact information. I would ask for Ken as he is the main guy and deals with us Corvette types. They advertise that they sell wholesale.........and they do to just about all the Corvette supply companies.......but they will work with us on special retail requests. Ken says he wants to keep us happy.........although he also says that is nearly impossible.

Same for Apple Hydraulics and White Post. Google is your friend. Apple and Lone Star will sleeve with stainless, whereas White Post prefers to use (or will only use) brass sleeves.

All three companies are top notch.

However, recently, most or all of the companies now state that DOT 5 brake fluid will void any warranty. Lone Star was bending these rules to help us guys, but may now be saying "no more warranty with DOT 5" I dunno anymore......just ask for their most recent thinking/policy.

DOT 3/4 is not bad at all if you flush your system every 4-5 years. If you were to try DOT 5, only buy from a MAJOR ESTABLISHED SOURCE. I buy SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Corporation) DOT 5 and have for years with no issues. There are strong arguments from both sides about brake fluid quality and specs. Check our archives and previous post for more on this......one just a few weeks ago.

Larry
Lone Star definitely sells to retail customers--that's where I bought new calipers from when I did my standard disk to power disk brake conversion on my 67 4 years ago.

On DOT 5 I could never get the passenger front caliper to quit seeping where the brake hose screws in and the MC was leaking down the rear; ended up sending all the calipers and MC I bought back to CSSB, Inc. and that's when I started over with Lone Star. I then used DOT 4 fluid (ATE which is the same I use in my Porsche)--yes you have to be careful about spillage but nothing new under the sun there. Flushed the fluid last summer at 3 years and will do that at 3 year intervals - I've flushed gallons of brake fluid from my days running HPDE's with Porsche club. And I have a Motive power bleeder, which makes flushing a one person job.

Get notified of new replies

To power brake master cyl rebuild?

Quick Reply: power brake master cyl rebuild?