C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Tech Info page

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:19 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Corvette Tech Info page

hi everyone

I haven't been here and posted for a long time - since I sold my '65 coupe back in 2012.
I hope my old friends on here I used to know are all doing well.

For that that don't know me or remember me I'm also the one that organized and set up the Tech Articles tech page that a lot of you have utilized over the years ( http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html )

For various reasons I will be closing down my personal website where the Tech Articles are being hosted on so I wanted to come on here and warn everyone that the website link to the Tech Articles page will be going away next month when the hosting account for my website comes up for renewal as the website will be shutting down.

I have not updated, maintained, or even simply checked on the website in quite a while and not sure if all the file links are even still all working or not or any other possible issues but if anyone feels they want or may need any of the articles that are still up on the site and the links are working you may want to take the opportunity to download the files now to keep or to add any links to articles on other sites I reference onto your own system so you don't lose them.

my current website and hosting plan for the server come up for renewal next month (Dec) and I'm not renewing the hosting plan and I'm letting the website go away so now is the last chance for a few more weeks to download any articles you want to keep.

NOTE: At the time I put together this tech articles page I asked and got permission to host the articles up on the site from the various authors of the various articles because of copyright issues, etc.
If anyone wanted to recreate a new updated Tech Articles page you can download all the articles I have to start a new collection and perhaps a new Tech Articles page for everyone but you WOULD need to gain all new permissions from the various authors of the articles first before posting and making available to all online as I did.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and upcoming holiday season!

Barry
The following 16 users liked this post by BarryK:
59BlueSilver (11-13-2016), 66jack (11-13-2016), Bob's 64 (11-13-2016), Chuck Gongloff (12-05-2016), cor66vette (11-13-2016), dkleather (12-02-2016), Frankie the Fink (08-31-2017), Pilot Dan (12-02-2016), Plasticman (11-13-2016), RoadKing96 (12-07-2016), seb67 (12-02-2016), Sky65 (11-13-2016), superpm (12-04-2016), Twan Sloot (12-01-2016), vetsvette2002 (12-01-2016), VITIV Coupe (09-01-2017) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-13-2016, 07:45 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Thanks for the heads up....I'll be on there gathering the ones relevant to me and problems i have...

Sorry to see the site is going into, "never never land"...
Old 11-13-2016, 08:40 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 66jack
Thanks for the heads up....I'll be on there gathering the ones relevant to me and problems i have...

Sorry to see the site is going into, "never never land"...
me too Jack, but I haven't used the site in years for anything, and saw the last time I even updated the Tech Articles section was back in 2011, 5 years ago!
It costs me money tho renew the hosting plan every year, etc and since I haven't used the site for anything since BEFORE even 2011 at the last update I think it's time to stop throwing away money every year on renewing the site since I'm not using it.
The ONLY reason I kept the site up for the last number of years was "guilt" if I took it down since I know how much people have utilized the articles collection over the years but it's time I have to stop the yearly expense.

I sold my '65 back in Nov '12 - so for the last 4 years I've kept the website up and running and spent over $500.00 JUST for you guys so the articles collection would be available for you. To be honest I never ONCE have been on my own site since before 2012 so it's time to cut the expense.

SORRY!
Old 11-13-2016, 08:48 AM
66jack
Team Owner

So far I'm up to 20pdf pages....I'm not too adept at the computer 'save' option......i wish i could save a the whole pdf pages at once...is there a way to do it without opening each one?

TIA
Old 11-13-2016, 09:23 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 66jack
So far I'm up to 20pdf pages....I'm not too adept at the computer 'save' option......i wish i could save a the whole pdf pages at once...is there a way to do it without opening each one?

TIA
Jack

i can't answer for a PC since I use Mac systems but on mine I can just put my mouse over a file link and instead of opening it first to than save it I can just RIGHT CLICK on the file link and choose the option of saving file - this downloads and saves the file but without me having to open it first.
Not sure if it works the same on a PC but I'd imagine it should.

ok, gotta go open the store so your on your own the rest of the day as you download

Last edited by BarryK; 11-13-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Thanks....it works like you said...

I now have 56mb of pdf files...of some good info...
Old 11-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 769 Likes on 551 Posts

Barry, good to hear from you again! Hope you'll continue to check in regularly.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Barry. Thanks for constructing and maintaining the Tech Files. They have been handy and I always knew where to find the info. Much appreciated.

Tom
Old 11-13-2016, 09:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BarryK
Jack

i can't answer for a PC since I use Mac systems but on mine I can just put my mouse over a file link and instead of opening it first to than save it I can just RIGHT CLICK on the file link and choose the option of saving file - this downloads and saves the file but without me having to open it first.
Not sure if it works the same on a PC but I'd imagine it should.

ok, gotta go open the store so your on your own the rest of the day as you download
Barry.. I feel sure I can host most of the files.. If given permission from the original proprieter of the info. There is a lot of stuff on your page but I'd not want something up on my site where the original author wasn't given credit and/or permission. Let me know your thoughts?
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-13-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:59 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Tom, it was my pleasure and I'm glad you found use of them!

Hi Ernie
long time no talk! hope all is good with you and business.

I'd love to have the collection of articles hosted by someone else so that everyone here and keep taking advantage of them.
I DID get permission from the various authors of the articles originally to post up the articles on there site as I did NOT want any trouble from copyright issues, etc. If an article was a published article especially, such as the case on many of the articles (a number of the John Hinkley articles for example were published articles out of magazines but John retains the copyright holder and gave permission to host the articles, etc. - same for articles seemingly taken from NCRS publications. NCRS tried to come after me at the beginning saying I can't put up articles that were published in "The Restorer" but again after checking with every author of each articles it turns out the author owns the copyright and they all gave me permission to run their articles as part of the collection
I'm sure the "permission" given to me would transfer to you for hosting purposes if you the collection of articles stays together as it is. Maybe you just add a note that the group of articles on your site is my old articles collection to identify them... I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure if this would work or not versus having to contact all there authors for renewed permission.

BTW, One person you may have a small issue with on permission is Lars. He originally did allow me to host his articles up but later on wasn't happy about it I believe although I fully understand his reasoning and in some ways agree... He always recommended people contact him directly for his articles versus finding them on various places on the internet like my page simply because he would update his articles from time to time and he was concerned people had his most up-to-date version rather than an older copy posted up somewhere.

many, many, many of the articles are simply things that people on here created and documented as they made repairs or restored their cars and put on paper to help us fellow enthusiasts and were eager to have have their papers added to there collection.

If you want to discuss hosting the articles collection via phone if it easier I can message you my phone # and we can speak.
Whatever you want to do Ernie is fine and being able to retain access to all these articles for everyone would be great if you decided to host them up but I do understand any hesitation you may have because of concerns with copyright permissions and related things.
The following users liked this post:
VITIV Coupe (09-01-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Barry.. I feel sure I can host most of the files.. If given permission from the original proprieter of the info. There is a lot of stuff on your page but I'd not want something up on my site where the original author wasn't given credit and/or permission. Let me know your thoughts?
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Ernie
I'm okay with you hosting anything I authored or co-authored. I just wish I could rid the web of all the superseded valve adjustment articles. The current version is dated September 2008. Previous versions are obsolete and should be deleted.

Duke
Old 11-30-2016, 11:09 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Does anyone know if someone was able to preserve the info from BarryK's website so that others could view it?

December is tomorrow. I sure hope all this data doesn't get lost.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Barry, maybe it's time for you to get another car and come on back
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

It would be great if they could be added to the Stickies at the top of the forum. Any way this could be done? I found myself often referring to Barry's pages for help. Dave
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
I'm okay with you hosting anything I authored or co-authored. I just wish I could rid the web of all the superseded valve adjustment articles. The current version is dated September 2008. Previous versions are obsolete and should be deleted.

Duke
Duke.. there is too much on Barry's page for me to get it all downloaded before the cut off. There just isn't enough time.

If you'd email me at Service@Willcoxcorvette.com I'll put anything up on the tech page for you. Just email me the file.

Ernie
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Duke.. there is too much on Barry's page for me to get it all downloaded before the cut off. There just isn't enough time.

If you'd email me at Service@Willcoxcorvette.com I'll put anything up on the tech page for you. Just email me the file.

Ernie
Ernie
i have all the tech files from the website sorted, organized by category (same as it's organized on the site now), in separate folders, etc. I can get the whole lot to you in one big FTP transfer if you happen to have an FTP program.
Even without an FTP program I have an easier and faster way for you to download the files if you wanted to go thru the effort.

I'll be around today until 4pm eastern time if you want to call and talk about it - PM if you want and I'll give you my cell
Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Barry.. missed you tonight.. I've got a Dr. apt tomorrow but I'll ring you when I get back.. If you have them sorted that way I'm sure my IT guys can handle it and that would save a ton of time.

I have the ability to file transfer in house and from any machine associated with the company.. But the firewall will knock your computer down. Let me talk to Melvin (he runs the IT show for me) tomorrow, I'm sure he'll have some kind of answer. Actually I sent Mel a message tonight so I'd be informed when I get there tomorrow.

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 12-05-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Tech Info page

Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Barry.. missed you tonight.. I've got a Dr. apt tomorrow but I'll ring you when I get back.. If you have them sorted that way I'm sure my IT guys can handle it and that would save a ton of time.

I have the ability to file transfer in house and from any machine associated with the company.. But the firewall will knock your computer down. Let me talk to Melvin (he runs the IT show for me) tomorrow, I'm sure he'll have some kind of answer. Actually I sent Mel a message tonight so I'd be informed when I get there tomorrow.

Ernie
Hi Ernie
I just got in. I'll be around tomorrow until approx 4 in the afternoon again so if you need to talk just let me know.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:53 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Ernie
Just left a phone message for you. Fellow said he would pass the info along. It's about the tech info files.
Dave Z
Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 PM
L72copo
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts

My Granddaughter, a PHD candidate at Stanford suggested the following. Go to https://archive.org/ and enter http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html in the search box. Then click on April 24th. Book mark it for the future and you should always have it. April 24th was the last date that the WEB site was backed up by the Archive.org. It worked for me, hope it works for you.

Quick Reply: Corvette Tech Info page