C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

57 283 Exhaust Manifold heat range

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 57 283 Exhaust Manifold heat range

Hello all,

Under hood heat I think is extreme. After reaching 180 degrees I took exhaust manifold temps and got 600-625 on right side and 410-430 on left. Should there be that big a difference? There is no heat riser in line on right. So hot on right, you cannot keep hand on inner wall. Normal or no? If not any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 07:56 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tuten
Hello all,

Under hood heat I think is extreme. After reaching 180 degrees I took exhaust manifold temps and got 600-625 on right side and 410-430 on left. Should there be that big a difference? There is no heat riser in line on right. So hot on right, you cannot keep hand on inner wall. Normal or no? If not any suggestions?

Thanks
Since nobody else wants to step up.......................

Your left side sounds normal if the engine is idling and hasn't just been run hard. Your right side temps are definitely high.

Why? I don't know. How does the car run?

PS. I see you were confused a few years ago about how to time the engine. Did you get that nailed down? Slow timing will put a lot of heat in the manifolds.

Last edited by MikeM; 11-28-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

If total idle advance is in the proper range for the engine configuration (which you did not state), exhaust manifold temps should be no more than about 500F.

IR guns typically measure the average of a 4:1 cone, so be sure you hold the gun very close to the manifold surface so it doesn't detect the lower surrounding temperatures.

Early emission controlled engines with ported vacuum advance and very little initial advance increased EGT considerably to burn HC and CO in the exhaust system with injected air and exhaust manifold temps are typically about 900F.

Duke
Old 11-28-2016, 11:31 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Exhaust restricted on the right side?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:44 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehead
Exhaust restricted on the right side?
Maybe the heat riser is not opening all the way? Does a '57 even have a heat riser in the exhaust?
Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Default 57 283 High manifold heat

Originally Posted by MikeM
Since nobody else wants to step up.......................

Your left side sounds normal if the engine is idling and hasn't just been run hard. Your right side temps are definitely high.

Why? I don't know. How does the car run?

PS. I see you were confused a few years ago about how to time the engine. Did you get that nailed down? Slow timing will put a lot of heat in the manifolds.
Thanks for reply...Yep, still not sure about the timing...that may be the culprit as well as vacuum advance which I don't know about. Just need to take to auto shop for correct settings. However runs good and idles good, so I think...thx
Old 11-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Dave Tuten
Advanced

Default 57 283 exhaust manifold heat

Originally Posted by DSR
Maybe the heat riser is not opening all the way? Does a '57 even have a heat riser in the exhaust?
Thx for reply...does not have a heat reisr...straight thru...thx

Get notified of new replies

To 57 283 Exhaust Manifold heat range

Quick Reply: 57 283 Exhaust Manifold heat range