C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

whining gearbox/clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default whining gearbox/clutch

I hear a (slight) whining noise somewhere around the clutch when the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is engaged. It disappears when the clutch is disengaged. Any idea what this could be? (Pilot bearing?)

Last edited by alexandervdr; 12-09-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I hear a (slight) whining noise somewhere around the clutch when the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is engaged. It disappears when the clutch is disengaged. Any idea what this could be? (Pilot bearing?)
My first guess would be the throw-out bearing - only making noise when rotating (engaged).
Old 12-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Throw out bearing is a good assumption; however, I would also say that if you aren't familiar with these cars, especially coupes, the drivetrain sounds can be disconcerting but are actually normal.

Try driving a midyear coupe around without that carpeted jackboard cover in place to get an exaggerated example of what I mean
Old 12-09-2016, 04:10 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
My first guess would be the throw-out bearing - only making noise when rotating (engaged).
The throw out bearing would make noise when the clutch is disengaged, pedal depressed.
When the clutch is engaged the input shaft bearing, input shaft, cluster gear, 1st, 2nd and 3rd is rotating.
So the 'whine' could be an input bearing going bad or one of the gears in the transmission.

The OP stated the trans was in neutral so I assume the car is not moving.
Joe
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by plaidside
The throw out bearing would make noise when the clutch is disengaged, pedal depressed.
When the clutch is engaged the input shaft bearing, input shaft, cluster gear, 1st, 2nd and 3rd is rotating.
So the 'whine' could be an input bearing going bad or one of the gears in the transmission.

The OP stated the trans was in neutral so I assume the car is not moving.
Joe
I thought that's what he meant until I reread it.

I just thought he might be over-sensitive to the sounds in a manual transmission mid-year...and everything could be just fine
Old 12-09-2016, 05:08 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

In most cases with these transmissions, slight whine when the mainshaft is turning is normal...if excessively noisy, a new set of bearings will quiet it down. I'll be it's noisier when it's hot and the gear lube has thinned out.....if so, bearings are getting tired. I've driven transmissions that sounded like meat grinders until you pushed the clutch in....worn out bearings, but still worked fine.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:31 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

thanks guys, I may be overly sensitive, just checking on my car after a full body restore. I have taken the car out for some short drives to 'debug' it, and fix before I go into the wide open ;-)
I will let this one the way it is and hopefully it's just the way it is
Old 12-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Have you checked for the proper free play adjustment? You could be hearing the throw out bearing slightly engaged. Pilot Dan
Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

It's normal, but I would describe it more like a muted growl. If it gets louder, it could be a spalled the front transmission bearing... happened to my SWC back in the sixties. In fact the transmission will be louder in all the intermediate gears.

Duke
Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
Just to clarify, when in neutral and the clutch is engaged, the pilot bearing is seeing no rotational differential between itself and the input shaft. In other words, it would not be the cause.

It would not hurt to:

A. Verify the clutch Throwout bearing free play, as other posters have stated.

B. Verify the trans has the correct amount of the correct lube.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 12-10-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:56 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Pilot Bushing

About 10 years ago I bought a 63 coupe . The car was advertised with a rebuilt drive train . Long story short it made a lot of noise while idling in neutral with the clutch out .
I pulled the transmission and there was no pilot bushing in the end of the crank , not worn - missing .
Bill
Old 12-10-2016, 06:57 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I thought that's what he meant until I reread it.

I just thought he might be over-sensitive to the sounds in a manual transmission mid-year...and everything could be just fine
It's actually a Keissler 400 5 speed transmission. Pilot bearing has been aligned carefully, and the noise is when in neutral and the foot off the clutch (excluding the problem is in the bearing) . I actually have too much free play in the pedal so that should not be it neither. Moreover, it is not consistent, sometimes the noise is there, sometimes it's not.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:39 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I would ignore it for now and get a few miles on the car. Almost any rebuilt car is going to develop a few issue that require a step or two back. Might as well find out where most of them are before tearing things apart as you may end up duplicating effort or some initial slight issues may just resolve themselves.

Get notified of new replies

To whining gearbox/clutch

Quick Reply: whining gearbox/clutch