C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mini-rant; If This Is True ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Nothing like any of the above will happen to the 56. When I get to the point that I can no longer drive and abuse it, I'm taking it out in a field, pour gasoline all over it and light it.
NONE, repeat, NONE of my kids get the cars!
<like> still laughing

Last edited by mmaturo; 12-13-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:28 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nothing like any of the above will happen to the 56. When I get to the point that I can no longer drive and abuse it, I'm taking it out in a field, pour gasoline all over it and light it.
My son will never get my car either (he doesn't want it anyway).

When I get to the point where I can't drive, I may give my car to a friend if they agree to drive me around in itt on a regular basis. But I can't imagine destroying it when I can find a new owner to enjoy it.

Steve
Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Tom, how about donating the '56 to a long lost cousin named Pat? He lives in Northern CA and will take extra good care of it! LOL!!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
but there are a lot I mean a lot of non matching split windows to restomod instead of a NCRS correct one .That in itself doesn't add up if they want more money for the project sell it as is ,then buy another corvette so there bottom line price would be more profitable.
Unless they are the spoiled rich brat that just doesn't care .
So, you buy an NOM split window and you're already shot in one kneecap profit wise. Those are going in the 70K range and there is no original engine/tranny to sell off, decent bodies alone are now in the $35K range. You make your money on such things when you buy the core parts, not when you sell....

The price for decent SWC bodies with the one-year-parts have gotten nutso... I'm not defending the practice of restomodding original cars just explaining the economics as I see them.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder why GM hasn't built a modern version of a C2...., similar to what Ford did with the Mustang and Dodge with the Challenger and Chevy with the Camaro. I'm just say'n....
Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

They did one of the GTO.....it looked like a Honda Civic....and flopped.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:24 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
They did one of the GTO.....it looked like a Honda Civic....and flopped.
poor Pontiac. They took the fun to drive and terribly styled Holden and badges it GTO. Ugh. A buddy had one, I never liked it.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
So, you buy an NOM split window and you're already shot in one kneecap profit wise. Those are going in the 70K range and there is no original engine/tranny to sell off, decent bodies alone are now in the $35K range. You make your money on such things when you buy the core parts, not when you sell....

The price for decent SWC bodies with the one-year-parts have gotten nutso... I'm not defending the practice of restomodding original cars just explaining the economics as I see them.
I must of missed the point I just saying if I was going to restomod
a 63 I would buy the nom matching corvette in the end result the resto mod would be what it is.
Why spend extra money on a correct corvette to cut up the parts are worth less without the body . That's what I was thinking on that end.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

All it takes is even a mildly critical eye to see that the story is complete and total BS! Does anybody, after seeing the limited view of this car, really think that this is either "numbers matching" or a "high point" NCRS car?

Looks to me like he chose a pretty good candidate to make a resto-mod from.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Completely agree!

Ad says the car is "pristine"! lol

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 12-14-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:00 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

To each his own, we can all do with our old cars what we like. If you want to have control over some piece of property, whether cars or land, buy it!

I restored a '36 pickup and '40 coupe back in the seventies. Back then most old car shows were old men with old restored cars. After 20 years I too got tired of life in the slow lane, and Hot Rodded them both. It was the best decision I ever made! I drive them both a lot more now, and enjoy them better. The old men said I ruined them.

Now I plan to keep my '65 convertible mostly stock, with minor changes to use the parts I have (hood, grille, etc) I grew up driving sixties cars, and if I remember correctly, I had a lot of fun in them! I haven't really drove mine yet, except for a few test drives up and down the street, but I'm hoping I can use this car as a car, keep up with traffic, and stop when needed. I hope to find out how it really drives this summer!

But these mid year cars might feel primitive to drive for guys in their thirties who grew up driving late model cars.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
Matching numbers are fine ...if you live in a fantasy land. The price of them are driven by the fictitious value that they have.

It is just like diamonds, they are quite useless in fact, but because one company has a monopoly on them they can set the price anywhere they like.

Both of them come with bragging rights for those that think that they have something special.
well said

In a way doesnt matter noone drives these cars anyway I dont get it
Spend all that money forsomething you really want then DONT drive it.
WHAT THE ???? IS that? Hey get your wife a boob job then save her for the next guy thats real smart. Ill be waiting.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:48 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds more like jealously than a rant, observation throughout the years from this site appears, if your unable to meet the upper Corvette society protocols, mock them.

Those who state that majority of NCRS Corvettes are not driven often do not have any idea what they are talking about. As the majority of these articles make best for a bedtime story!

Remember, after many decades passing, the original Corvette will hold true to its pedigree will always be sought after in higher volumes, when others will be seeking massive upgrades for the umpteen time.

To each his own… enjoy your rides, be safe!

rustylugnuts
Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
Sounds more like jealously than a rant, observation throughout the years from this site appears, if your unable to meet the upper Corvette society protocols, mock them
:
This forum is comprised of some pretty nice guys who are knowledgable about corvettes and that's why I stay. It's true that there is an aweful lot of blaming and whining on this forum too but it's ok to just skip over that and get to the good stuff. I think most forums are like that. Not everything is the fault of the millenials and liberals despite the popular opinion on this bored but you are not going to make those posts stop nor can you make the mocking stop.

I am technically a millenial and I love classic cars as they are and I know 50 year old guys who just want to resto-mod. I lean liberal on lots of things, not all but many things especially the environment, and it's not my fault they don't like the way society is. I personally think society is society and there are millions of individuals who are part of the problem. If they want to lump half the population together and blame them so they can sleep at night let them. At the end of they day we all have our opinions and are free to share them.

Blaming Millenials for ruining the car hobby or being the reason for resto mods is a stretch in my opinion. Honestly most millenials can't aford these cars. I barely could get money for mine.

The internet as a whole has become a place to vent or belittle those with differnt views. As a recent example, there was a thread about C2 flares. Those are not "correct" and there was a lot of hate towards those that had them and just as much resentment back by those who do like them. To each his own is a great idea but with the freedom to speak without looking at the guy your ripping on we have to be able to look over it and move on.

Last edited by Root2812; 12-14-2016 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikado463 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Those who state that majority of NCRS Corvettes are not driven often do not have any idea what they are talking about
really? Bet its been 10 yrs since Ive seen one on the road here in So Cal except for one members 62. Just my .02 most these cars sit in garages under covers with 23 coats of zaino on them. Maybe where you live its different.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
really? Bet its been 10 yrs since Ive seen one on the road here in So Cal except for one members 62. Just my .02 most these cars sit in garages under covers with 23 coats of zaino on them. Maybe where you live its different.
i think those guys with cars worth over $100,000 are buying them as art and not cars. It's a shame they are hidden away where no one can see them. Atleast for the bulk of us who don't have that kind of cash we can get drivers, numbers matching or not, and go have fun.

Last edited by Root2812; 12-14-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:03 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

In New England, I see NCRS cars out less often than mine, but most owners try to drive them a bit in the summer. After winter sets in, we're all grounded. Hope this thread doesn't devolve into a PR&C candidate.

Get notified of new replies

To Mini-rant; If This Is True ...

Old 12-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
. Hope this thread doesn't devolve into a PR&C candidate.
I said my piece in response and I'm done. I'm on this bored for the cars.

I like correct cars but I couldn't have one if I could only look at it. No NRCS for me. My 59 will stay stock except for minor mods like I plan to upgrade the brakes and radio.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:10 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Cars have been modified and changed from stock for more than 115 years. And always will be, like it or not. Most high end cars are indeed seen as elaborate sculpture, and are kept in glass cages. The exceptions I know about are those owned by the truly wealthy, who buy them and use them as cars no matter what the value. Jay Leno is one of those guys. I met a very wealthy guy last year who showed me his collection of classics, about 45 cars, mostly Shelby Mustangs, but with Hemi's and AC Cobras and Chrysler 300 letter cars, too. And some early hot rods built in the 1950's and '60's. The guy was in his mid-late 70's, worked on his cars, and what really impressed me, drove every one of them. He had a trickle charger connected to each one, and each car was ready to go out and drive immediately. He had every year Shelby Mustang, in fastback and convertible, where offered, and all were original paint, low mile cars that he drives. THAT is my kind of car guy!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:12 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't think millenials have anything to do with the restomod trend. More likely it is a byproduct of the many recent TV series showcasing custom fabbed bikes and cars, the fact that many of the desirable cars are old and in need of renovation, the original drivetrains are long gone anyway, new engine and suspension technology is leaps and bounds ahead of 50 year old stuff, and on and on.

To me, any car that doesn't have a rare or desirable born-with engine, or has significant frame rust and deterioration, is a good candidate for restomodding.

The car in the OP was obviously not Top Flight caliber, or it would never have been used.

Quick Reply: Mini-rant; If This Is True ...