C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Latest Scam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:02 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

You forgot her pic. Its been around 3/4 years
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Here's the latest correspondence about the Scam.
I guess some people fall for this or they wouldn't keep doing it.
I like to mess with the people doing it.

I do IT security for a living, so now, by responding they now they know they have a real human being on the other end of the email 'line' and have sold your name to people promoting other scams, breast enlargement drugs, land on Mars and the like.

You aren't gaining anything really, and exposing yourself to more BS. You're not gonna out-clever them and strike fear in their hearts because they're exposed. They don't care.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-15-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I do IT security for a living, so now, by responding they now they know they have a real human being on the other end of the email 'line' and have sold your name to people promoting other scams, breast enlargement drugs, land on Mars and the like.

You aren't gaining anything really, and exposing yourself to more BS. You're not gonna out-clever them and strike fear in their hearts because they're exposed. They don't care.
Thanks for the enlightenment Frankie. I never thought about them selling my info. I've often wondered how they benefited from these ads.

That also explains why I got my breast enlarged, got a Good Deal. JK

Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Corkscrew
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are not just after your email address!

Originally Posted by Corkscrew
Wondered how this scam was going to work. Now it is obvious. Scammer finally replied to my original email expressing interest in the car. Long story about husband just died, etc. Then sent the following:

First of all, see attached pictures of Protect-O-Plate, VIN#, COWLTAG, Engine number that matches the VIN#, odometer , If you will decide to move froward I'll send you a copy of title. I asked for your zip because I want to use PaySafeEscrow for this transaction, they give you the opportunity to inspect the Corvette at your shipping address. To learn more about their service click here http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=5kqb7k&s=8 or copy and paste the link into your browser. I already created a transaction for the 1966 Chevrolet Coupe and a Purchase Agreement, I also uploaded supporting documents for this transaction. Let me know If you wish to see the transaction details and PaySafe will invite you to review the Purchase Agreement.

I did not click on the URL, but I did google Paysafe Escrow and got the following:

Current Scams to be aware of:
Elderly lady selling classic car for a fraction of the cost: Scam tells users that elderly lady's husband passed away and she needs to unload car. Acts like she does not know what it is worth. They suggest using PaySAFE but the email DO NOT come from PaySAFE. They will send you instructions to wire funds to an individual account acting as legal custodian. Often the wire instruction will be for a foreign bank (non-USA) THIS IS A SCAM!

Buyer Beware!!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:10 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by Corkscrew
They are not just after your email address!
Yeah, I didn't open any of the addresses they posted other than the ad.

Last edited by randy ransome; 12-15-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Why can't the money trail be followed to catch these scum bags?
Larry
Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Here's the latest correspondence about the Scam.
I guess some people fall for this or they wouldn't keep doing it.
I like to mess with the people doing it.

Wow, it's great to see that this process is moving forward. That's a great deal for that car and the shipping costs are very reasonable. And they say that there are no more good deals out there.

Ray
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

In my work I've worked with homeland security to try to catch some scammers. Every time they are out of the country and there is nothing that can be done. They hijack some unsuspecting persons U.S. bank account to make the transaction appear legit to the victim, get the victim to transfer money into it, then they sweep it out of the country. It is gone forever.

Quick Reply: The Latest Scam