C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] How many people care if their car had prior body work

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
Some people pay extra when they can see every bonding strip and body reinforcement through the paint where the bonding adhesive has shrunk over the years. I'm one of them. If you can see every point you know right off that the body panels are original or it's been a very long time since work was done.

Many repaints include block sanding and this obliterates the evidence.

I think the worst case is when you not only get poor structural and surface repairs, major panel misalignment is also thrown in for good measure. Based on what I've seen and read here, many don't notice or don't seem to mind those conditions.
If I had a dollar for every thread by some poor novice owner with a crapola front clip replacement, about why their C1 cowl vent won't fit; they can't screw their wiper arm bezels on or their hard/soft top won't latch or their door posts won't mate, or the windshield lower stainless has a grand canyon gap, I'd have -- well - a bunch of dollars...
Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I would bet that more the 75 per cent of any C1 or C2 Corvette has had some type of body work done to it, big or small most of these cars have been hit or bumped at one time or another. It would depend on the amount of body work done to a car and how good the work was. If the work repairing a body hit car was done correctly unless you stripped the paint on the car you probably could not tell at all. if you can tell from a quick glance that some work had been done to the car it probably was not done correctly and it should not be worth as much as a car that was done right. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

There is a perception that a car that has been in an accident is worth less that one that has not.

It is based upon the fact that if given a choice, you would always buy a brand new car over the other brand new car that had been in an accident.

This is fueled by the fact that few people know how to repair a car and they fear that a car cannot be correctly repaired, due to their lack of knowledge.

Of course, there is also the fact that it may have been repaired by Bubba, and lacking the knowledge of proper repairs, they chose to pass on an other wise good purchase.

The actual fact is that most cars have been repaired in their life time and one should expect to have to re-repair any car that they buy.

Personally, I would want to buy a car that has not been recently refinished so that I might see any repairs needed.

Even if you were to purchase a daily driver you should budget in $1000 of repairs in the first several months.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 12-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:24 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Here is a good example of what was a poor repair. Most would find this objectionalbe. Some wouldn't notice. You see varying degrees of this poor repair on many cars.

http://1963splitwindow.blogspot.com/...alignment.html

I wasn't referring to flyspecs in my post above.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
There is a perception that a car that has been in an accident is worth less that one that has not.
That mindset started when these cars were a couple of years old. Same mindset that decided that original engine could also inidcate a body that hadn't been abused.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

And a buyer has to also be aware of factory idiosyncrasies versus sham repairs...

The original fit of a 1963 rear valence comes to mind where the mantra is reversed; if it looks TOO good, its probably been massaged...
Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

What about all the over-restored cars you see, with the factory waviness block sanded out and the car clear coated like a glazed ham? To me, that de-values the car, as the original body has been modified, although it now looks 'nicer' to the majority of folks. I like original survivor cars, restored cars, and tastefully modified cars....but I'm not a fan of over-restored Barrett-Jackson cars that have had all their age and history completely erased. What say your guys?
The following users liked this post:
Lola T70 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeM
Some people pay extra when they can see every bonding strip and body reinforcement through the paint where the bonding adhesive has shrunk over the years. I'm one of them. If you can see every point you know right off that the body panels are original or it's been a very long time since work was done.

Many repaints include block sanding and this obliterates the evidence.
Originally Posted by GTOguy
What about all the over-restored cars you see, with the factory waviness block sanded out and the car clear coated like a glazed ham? To me, that de-values the car, as the original body has been modified, although it now looks 'nicer' to the majority of folks. I like original survivor cars, restored cars, and tastefully modified cars....but I'm not a fan of over-restored Barrett-Jackson cars that have had all their age and history completely erased. What say your guys?
No need to repeat myself.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
Now there is a positive outlook on life. His idea or yours?
Don't know about positive, just realistic. I would guess most of the guys on this forum are in their 60's or 70's. We are more likely to bad health and death then a younger crowd. I'm sure some of you know a person who a year ago was not thinking about selling their car but due to life changes is..
Old 12-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Ha! You either want perfection or factory fit...
Look at this common gap I see on midyears and particularly '63 coupes at the door-to-fender upper transition. Look at the second pic of the top of my driver's door ? The regional exterior judge said that last item was factory but prob the poorest fit he'd seen in that area... Must be over 1/4" of door 'meat' over top of the windshield "A" pillar... Both doors have the factory job number that matches the splash shield and other areas and have been painstakingly fitted...and are completely closed in the pictures...

FTF
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:04 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Don't believe everything an NCRS judge tells you.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Don't believe everything an NCRS judge tells you.
But...but....but, if its in the JG it has to be right
Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm not a fan of over-restored Barrett-Jackson cars that have had all their age and history completely erased. What say your guys?
I paid a lot of money for a car with all original paint.
Minor flaws are part of the authenticity.

No love for the "glazed ham" look by me
Old 12-14-2016, 01:10 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Here is a question for the mid-year wizards. My 66 I put an entire brand new press molded Shermshiem front end on with all the bonding strips and everything. So is my car considered a no hit body? The front end has never been hit and I bet 95% of the people wouldn't know it was a new front end if I didn't say anything........
Old 12-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Here is a question for the mid-year wizards. My 66 I put an entire brand new press molded Shermshiem front end on with all the bonding strips and everything. So is my car considered a no hit body? The front end has never been hit and I bet 95% of the people wouldn't know it was a new front end if I didn't say anything........
No wizardry involved and the answer is no. A "no hit" car is just another way of saying unmolested which is another way of saying original panels.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:26 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ha! You either want perfection or factory fit...
Look at this common gap I see on midyears and particularly '63 coupes at the door-to-fender upper transition. Look at the second pic of the top of my driver's door ? The regional exterior judge said that last item was factory but prob the poorest fit he'd seen in that area... Must be over 1/4" of door 'meat' over top of the windshield "A" pillar... Both doors have the factory job number that matches the splash shield and other areas and have been painstakingly fitted...and are completely closed in the pictures...

FTF
Frankie - 4 years later and they still didn't get it right:

Drivers side doesn't have that gap.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:35 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
5% would. You have a 66 with a replaced front end.

VBR,
Capt Obvious

Get notified of new replies

To How many people care if their car had prior body work

Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
No wizardry involved and the answer is no. A "no hit" car is just another way of saying unmolested which is another way of saying original panels.
I know, I was joking around of course I know that it wasn't a serious question. Sarcasm doesn't go over well on the internet.

Last edited by 4 Speed Dave; 12-14-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Responded to the wrong thread whoops parts deleted.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:19 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've never owned any other 60's era cars except for way back in the day when they were new. So, I'm curious about those of you who do own these metal body cars if the panel fit is noticeably superior to the 60's era Corvettes? Is the panel fit consistent from vehicle to vehicle of the same model or are they all over the place like Corvettes?

Steve
Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

All 63's have that gap between door and fender at top. If yours does not then buba has been at work.

]

Quick Reply: [C2] How many people care if their car had prior body work