C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Grab bar cover help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:11 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Grab bar cover help

I decided NOT to replace the entire grab bar on the 62 only the cover. Seems like a reasonably easy job. However, when I removed the old cover the old foam had deteriorated in some places and looked like weatherstrip adhesive. So has anyone replaced the foam and what did you use? May have to send the cover back and go for the whole enchilada but would like to save a few $
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You're kinda stuck if the foam has gone bad....it get a new bar or wrap it in some new foam -- which I wouldn't want to try and still get the cover on easily...

I'd suck it up and buy a new grab bar...
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM
roju1985
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You're kinda stuck if the foam has gone bad....it get a new bar or wrap it in some new foam -- which I wouldn't want to try and still get the cover on easily...

I'd suck it up and buy a new grab bar...
I may agree with Frankie here. If the foam is not terribly degraded (as in not falling off) you may be able to try some of that household expanding foam in a can to flush everything up (I've never done it but it's an idea)

Also getting the cover on is a bear of a Job on a pristine bar (I actually just did one for the first time last night) this was after the nice people at Al Knoch may as well have laughed at me for attempting to do it on my own haha. After a bunch of trial and error I have found an easy way to get it on:
1. Flip cover inside out
2. fold seams flat and glue down.
3. put glue on first 1/2" or so of grab bar and cover (making sure not to get glue near the very edges)
4. fold the glued edge inward and start it over the grab bar.
5. Begin sliding the cover down the grab bar over itself (flipping it right side out over the grab bar) checking often to make sure the glued edge is not sliding down
6. When it gets too hard to slide down any further spray silicone down the vinyl side of the cover

May be sort of hard to visualize but using that method I could cover a second one in under 15 minuets I bet.

Last edited by roju1985; 12-15-2016 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (12-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Grab bar cover help

Quick Reply: Grab bar cover help