C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help....lots of help. Willing to $$

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:32 AM
Clay Easton
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help....lots of help. Willing to $$

Old Today, 12:30 AM #1
Clay Easton

Hello all,

I've recently been bitten by the C2 bug and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm Dealing with some pretty significant health issues and without bringing the entire forum down....I'm looking to buy a vette to satisfy a very big piece of a potential bucket-list.

That said....is there anyone that either is or knows of someone who assists in procurring 1964-66 stingrays for a consulting fee and can talk in depth about accurate pricing and how to find a great car. Most important issue being if something did happen to me, my wife would not get hurt to badly on $$ and headaches. Sorry if tone is a bit morbid but it's just my new normal.

I realize time is money and am more than willing to compensate for that precious commodity.

Here's to hoping to hear from someone with a kind heart that's willing to deal with a total novice.

Thanks and God Bless.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Sorry about the troubles you face but you have found a fun hobby for sure.
Smiles always help keep the heart pumping and the Vette hobby will offer smiles and feelings of youth.

Poke around on this forum and you will find many discussions about things to look out for and things to enjoy on these cars.
As you poke around you will become more knowledgeable and it will help decide what car and options you wish to spend money on.
There are also cars for sale on this forum.
Number one deal breaker normally would be a rusted frame or rusted bird cage.
Other than that most other parts in these are considered pretty easy to replace if needed.
Welcome aboard.
Mark
Old 12-15-2016, 05:08 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Contact forum member Jim Gessner. He's just down the road from you in the San Antonio area. His website is vettefinderjim.com.

He's a really good guy, and completely trustworthy. He helped me on the acquisition of my '57, and helped connect me with the original owner. There's no one more knowledgeable.
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (12-16-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 05:54 AM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Jim Gessner

I agree contact Jim. His website is vettefinderjim.com.

Or there is a corvette club in your area: Longhorn Corvette Club that could help with your questions.

http://longhorncorvette.com/about/

Good Luck

Phil
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Contacting Jim Gessner is a great idea. I would just add that if your health issues come into play while driving, these cars can be a handful and take a bit of muscle to mule around, shift gears, steer and stop. Just something to think about...
Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Just asking do you find it kind of odd that this guy is a new member with a first time post and this guy has never commented on any of the replies to his post?? Not even a Thanks for any information that was given to him???

Last edited by Mike Terry; 12-15-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:18 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Just asking do you find it kind of odd that this guy is a new member with a first time post and this guy has never commented on any of the replies to his post?? Not even a Thanks for any information that was given to him???
It's been less than 24 hours since his original post at the time I write this. It sounds like the OP may well have some other issues and priorities to deal with at the moment, rather than being able to relax and be a frequent poster like those of us who are fortunate.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 PM
cblankin
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Vintage Corvettes

Take a look at www.vintagecorvettes.com Owner is Gregg Wyatt
He is a great guy to deal with. He found me my 1965 Coupe. Tell him Chip recommended him.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:54 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by cblankin
Take a look at www.vintagecorvettes.com Owner is Gregg Wyatt
He is a great guy to deal with. He found me my 1965 Coupe. Tell him Chip recommended him.
plus one on this. Nothing is cheap there but all the cars are blue chip quality with nothing to be ashamed of if/when it's time to sell.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:27 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
It's been less than 24 hours since his original post at the time I write this. It sounds like the OP may well have some other issues and priorities to deal with at the moment, rather than being able to relax and be a frequent poster like those of us who are fortunate.
You mean not everyone on this forum has no life like us, and is not perpetually logged on and typing?
WTHs up with that?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:08 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

65hihp, you only have 3073 posts. Others on here have 25000 or more.
Congratulations!. You do have a life.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:20 AM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't care if he tells the rest of the story...it's amazing to think of the idea of someone adding our hobby to his bucket list. Somehow I feel honored and fortunate.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:51 AM
Clay Easton
6th Gear

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice and contact info. I truly appreciate it. Sounds like there is a general consensus that Jim is a great place to start and he's an hour away. For those that sent pm's...I'll definitely give you a ring as well.

And for those offering no help whatsoever, sincere apologies for not getting back in under 24 hours. I'm doing platelet, RBC, and magnesium transfusions all week but I'll try and bring my iPad to the hospital going forward. I'll just let the nurses know I need to get back on the forum.

Happy holidays.

Is this dude serious?
Old 12-16-2016, 04:33 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

First, welcome to the best place on earth to learn about these cars, and second, best of luck with your health problems. I've had my share lately as well, as a lot of us have.....no one's getting any younger! Good luck with your quest, and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:06 AM
LincolnUSA
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clay--suspect we can help you a bit right here in narrowing your search. You mention C2s from 1964-1966. Here are some thoughts for you to consider. Will try to be as inclusive as possible, others can add as they see fit. As mentioned in a previous post, these cars can and do require a bit of muscle while driving.

1. Are you looking for an investment grade car or more of a driver?
2. What is your budget?
3. Coupe or Roadster (convertible)
4. Engine: Big Block or Small Block, HP desired
5. Manual or automatic transmission
6. Exterior/interior color preference
7. Options: Power Steering, Power Brakes, Vinyl or Leather Seats, Tinted Glass, Air Conditioning, Side Mount Exhaust, Off Road Exhaust, Teakwood Steering Wheel, Telescopic Steering Column.
8. Stock, modified, or restomod?
9. Award winner: Bloomington Gold, NCRS Top Flight, Duntov, etc.

Depending on your budget, would lean more towards 65 or 66 model years. If you can answer these questions, bet we can find your car in a matter of weeks, if not days.

I met Jim Gessner at Bloomington Gold last Summer and would agree as others have said that he is a great resource. Feel free to Private Message me. I am willing to talk with you and lend a hand, for free.

Last edited by LincolnUSA; 12-16-2016 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easton
Hey Guys,

Is this dude serious?
He's only half serious.
Seriously, good luck with your medical regimen, and I hope you can join the mid-year fraternity soon. Describe your ideal car, and some of us will keep your search in mind.
I don't think anyone mentioned this long running thread by a member her that list reasonably priced mid year cars from Craigslist all over the country. It appears that the member may not be listing as much due to CL restricting the ability to master search. A buddy here just recently bought a car from the south that appeared on this list, so it can happen but you must be johnny on the spot with real good cars on CL
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-sale-26.html
Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Clay Easton
6th Gear

Hey guys,

Again thanks for assistance on this. Believe it or not I have done quite a bit of research on the site but only able to absorb so much with my mechanical deficiencies.

I was specifically looking at 64-66 because of price reasons. I have heard there may be quite of f savings over a 63 split or a 67 big block.

Also (please don't napalm me here) I am actually looking for convertible automatic. as some previous posters said it may make it easier to drive with health issues, muscling around, etc, and I also have a thing for autos. I have read on several sources not to be scared or hesitant as these can be very good cars that haven't been ridden hard. I think this may bring price down a little

Not looking for show car. Obviously I want to drive it but I also want something that presents nicely. Maybe what some call as a "really nice driver." This would not be primary source of transport. A trophy winner would be great but I'm still trying to find out what is realistic as far as budget. Don't know if this is the place or post to be asking such questions. I have looked at dealerships (Mershon's and others everyone here would know. I'm hoping they are high for what I'm looking for but that seems to be the magic question.

Horsepower doesn't have to be crazy. I thing most 2 speed autos are 327's (could be way off here)??

Last but not least is color. I really like the more "metallic" looking colors. Mosport green is my dream. Light silvery blues are sweet as well. Silver. Dark green with green interior is beautiful. Only thing I'm not crazy about is white, yellow, or red. Black would work but it would have to be a unique interior.

As far as power options...as many as possible would be optimal. Steering, brakes, etc

Not sure what Else to say other than need to by smart because of health stuff.

Thant said we get to big question. Can something like this behad for something like 50k (less would be great) or am I dreamin? If I am dreaming how off far am I.

Thanks again brethren.

Clay

Get notified of new replies

To Need help....lots of help. Willing to $$

Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

You should be able to get a nice, solid attractive and dependable 64-66 well under $50k, particularly since you are into powerglide (automatics). Just beware they "may" take a little longer when it comes time to sell.

A 64 coupe is my favorite midyear but also happens to be the cheapest coupe car for car (condition being roughly equal). A 63/63 convertible is also affordable in relative terms.

I suggest a nice stock appearing one, without rust, and with some recent maintenance- among those mentioned above- with or without an original engine depending on price will be under $50k for a nice driver car. How much will depend on the car and seller.

I think you can find a good fit in the upper $30's to the mid - $40'sc certainly. Post some photos of cars you're interested in or pm me or anyone else you decide you trust on the forum to give you some feedback.

Benton
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Clay Easton
Hey guys,

Again thanks for assistance on this. Believe it or not I have done quite a bit of research on the site but only able to absorb so much with my mechanical deficiencies.

I was specifically looking at 64-66 because of price reasons. I have heard there may be quite of f savings over a 63 split or a 67 big block.

Also (please don't napalm me here) I am actually looking for convertible automatic. as some previous posters said it may make it easier to drive with health issues, muscling around, etc, and I also have a thing for autos. I have read on several sources not to be scared or hesitant as these can be very good cars that haven't been ridden hard. I think this may bring price down a little

Not looking for show car. Obviously I want to drive it but I also want something that presents nicely. Maybe what some call as a "really nice driver." This would not be primary source of transport. A trophy winner would be great but I'm still trying to find out what is realistic as far as budget. Don't know if this is the place or post to be asking such questions. I have looked at dealerships (Mershon's and others everyone here would know. I'm hoping they are high for what I'm looking for but that seems to be the magic question.

Horsepower doesn't have to be crazy. I thing most 2 speed autos are 327's (could be way off here)??

Last but not least is color. I really like the more "metallic" looking colors. Mosport green is my dream. Light silvery blues are sweet as well. Silver. Dark green with green interior is beautiful. Only thing I'm not crazy about is white, yellow, or red. Black would work but it would have to be a unique interior.

As far as power options...as many as possible would be optimal. Steering, brakes, etc

Not sure what Else to say other than need to by smart because of health stuff.

Thant said we get to big question. Can something like this behad for something like 50k (less would be great) or am I dreamin? If I am dreaming how off far am I.

Thanks again brethren.

Clay
At that price, if you want a highly optioned car in very good condition, forget about matching numbers or trophy winners. In your favor is the fact that PG cars are less money than 4 speeds.

From your own description of your situation, I believe you'll do best buying from a reputable dealership - Mershon's wouldn't be a bad choice - rather than searching the classifieds, looking for the "best deal" which 9 times out of 10 has a fatal flaw, in an attempt to save a buck or two.

Jim Gessner is great, but tends to deal primarily with rare, documented, and/or "special" cars which are priced accordingly. At your price point, forget Greg Wyatt - his stuff is beyond the stratosphere.

I've seen a number of cars that fit your wish list come and go through Mershon's. That 50K car will be priced at 55K and negotiable down from there. For a used car dealer, they are honest and will stand behind what they sell, which is most important given your circumstances.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:53 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Yes, you should be able to get a "nice driver" equiped as you describe for $50k or less. It will take a lot of searching and patience to find one that is in good condition and fairly priced, as there is a lot of over priced junk out there.

The recommendation to involve someone like Jim Gessner to help you is the best single thing you can do.

Best wishes on your search, and on dealing with your health issues! You can do both. I have been through both cancer and bypass surgery in the past 5 years, and am doing well and still enjoying my '67.

Hang in there!

Quick Reply: Need help....lots of help. Willing to $$