C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Fan Clutch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:35 PM
ranger725
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Clutch Removal

I'm looking to replace the fan clutch on my '66 BB. I can remove 3 of the bolts securing it to the water pump, but what's the trick to get the 4th one out. It just rotates around. Where can I get enough leverage to break the seal on the bolt?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger725
I'm looking to replace the fan clutch on my '66 BB. I can remove 3 of the bolts securing it to the water pump, but what's the trick to get the 4th one out. It just rotates around. Where can I get enough leverage to break the seal on the bolt?
Put a bolt back in and hold it with one 1/2" wrench against the fan shaft. Then with a second wrench break the torque on the tight bolt. With both loose about a 1/4 turn, you should be able to hold it with the alternator belt.
I loosen all 4 before removing any of them.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:45 PM
ranger725
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
Put a bolt back in and hold it with one 1/2" wrench against the fan shaft. Then with a second wrench break the torque on the tight bolt. With both loose about a 1/4 turn, you should be able to hold it with the alternator belt.
I loosen all 4 before removing any of them.
Tried that, still stuck.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

R66's method should have worked...perhaps soak the bolt with some PB Blaster or the like and let it sit overnight. Did the method not work because the setup still turns or you just can't put enough "hind end" into it to get the bolt loose ? Two different issues...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
R66's method should have worked...perhaps soak the bolt with some PB Blaster or the like and let it sit overnight. Did the method not work because the setup still turns or you just can't put enough "hind end" into it to get the bolt loose ? Two different issues...
A good strap wrench might help, but the two wrench method generally works for me.

I bought a set of extended length wrenches (wimp wrenches) to aid me when my arthritis started limiting my pull. Also have used a piece of pipe over the end of the box end wrench to get more leverage. There is also the wrench on a wrench - putting a box end wrench in the open end of the first wrench to increase the length of the wrench.

I have also had a friend hold the wrench that prevents the fan shaft from turning while I used a hammer to strike the end of a good quality 6 point box end wrench firmly engaged on the bolt head to get the stuck bolt to turn. Warning: this method can damage the wrench, bolt head, generally the mechanic's hand, engine components, and anything else the hammer hits if the hammer is not accurately guided. Don't ask how I know.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Frankie

You are the man!. Im thinking of replacing my clutch and installing a 7 blade fan. What's the difficulty on the Frankie meter? To provide some background, I just replaced my Harrison tank that was super easy. I replaced valve cover gaskets easy. Replace carb; wire harnesses (except maybe engine harness) - I wouldn't even try. Hope that helps. I guess on the mechanic scale Im a 4. Much better with body work.

Just so frustrating when the parts are reasonable but the labor in NJ is absurd.

Thanks from one Frank to another!

Best
Frank
Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,031 Likes on 1,250 Posts

For anyone taking off/putting on the fan, it is a neat trick to replace one of the four bolts with a short stud first. That way, the heavy fan will hand on the stud when the last bolt is removed (or the first one started). The makes it easy to deal with the remaining bolts while the fan is hanging on the stud instead of on your arm.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
fjd (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

You can also push down hard on the fan belt. That way the crank pulley would also have to turn along with the water pump pulley. That's probably not going to happen to break the torque on a 5/16" bolt.
I just installed one using studs to keep both pulleys and the clutch in alignment. After I installed the fan belt, I pushed down on it and torqued the bolts down to 22lbsft.

Verne

Last edited by W Guy; 09-16-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 AM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 AM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
For anyone taking off/putting on the fan, it is a neat trick to replace one of the four bolts with a short stud first. That way, the heavy fan will hand on the stud when the last bolt is removed (or the first one started). The makes it easy to deal with the remaining bolts while the fan is hanging on the stud instead of on your arm.

Lou

Also makes it a lot easier upon reinstall

Get notified of new replies

To Fan Clutch Removal

Quick Reply: [C2] Fan Clutch Removal