C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 04:05 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
Thanks.

Now for the second part. Was it one degree dwell for one degree timing at the crankshaft?

Duke won't believe me unless someone has proof.
That would have been simple for me but my timing light was working intermittently, very intermittently. It is a induction Mac tools light from the 70's.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Thanks.

Now for the second part. Was it one degree dwell for one degree timing at the crankshaft?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:58 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Expiring minds want to know.....
Heyyyy.. I resemble that remark
Old 12-30-2016, 01:15 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Thanks.

The answer to that is in the definition of "dwell." Dwell is the number of degrees of distributor rotation that the points remain closed. The distributor fires every 45 degrees of rotation (fires 8 times for every single revolution), whereas the crankshaft has a cylinder fire every 90 degrees of rotation. So there is a 2:1 relationship. For every 1 degree of distributor "action," there is a change of 2 degrees at the crank. A 1 degree change in dwell changes the crankshaft timing 2 degrees. I have actually verified it on my test engine.

EDIT: This post is incorrect - please scroll down to my next posts for correction and factual test results.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 12-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:38 AM
seb67
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
The answer to that is in the definition of "dwell." Dwell is the number of degrees of distributor rotation that the points remain closed. The distributor fires every 45 degrees of rotation (fires 8 times for every single revolution), whereas the crankshaft has a cylinder fire every 90 degrees of rotation. So there is a 2:1 relationship. For every 1 degree of distributor "action," there is a change of 2 degrees at the crank. A 1 degree change in dwell changes the crankshaft timing 2 degrees. I have actually verified it on my test engine.

Lars
You might want to back away from your bar!!
Old 12-30-2016, 10:24 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

A 1 degree change in dwell changes the crankshaft timing 2 degrees. I have actually verified it on my test engine.

Lars
Nope. You might want to test again. Read my previous posts.

One degree of DISTRIBUTOR rotation changes the crankshaft timing by two degrees.

One degree of POINT DWELL change changes crankshaft timing by one degree.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:16 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Lars
Changes in dwell angle affects both ends of the points cam...........the "opening" side and the "closing" side. It is logical that any change in dwell angle must be split between both of these. Bottom line is that the "opening" event moves by 1/2 the dwell angle change, as does the "closing" event.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-30-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:22 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope. You might want to test again. Read my previous posts.

One degree of DISTRIBUTOR rotation changes the crankshaft timing by two degrees.

You're right.
If dwell, for instance, is decreased by a total of one degree, the one degree dwell change comes from the points opening a half-degree earlier and closing a half-degree later. But it's only the half-degree opening point that affects timing, and with the 2:1 ratio, the half-degree opening point change changes crank timing by one degree. So, effectively, there is a 1:1 relationship, with a one degree change in timing for each one degree change in dwell, even though there is a 2:1 relationship between distributor degrees and crankshaft degrees.

Duke has asked me to test to see how many turns of the points dwell screw result in how much timing change... heading down to the test engine to check that right now - will post results.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 12-30-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:36 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Exactly. And 65Tripleblack explains it very clearly in the next post. Phew!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Duke has asked me to test to see how many turns of the points dwell screw result in how much timing change... heading down to the test engine to check that right now - will post results.
A quick test run on the test engine to demonstrate this. Here is the test setup (dwell meter is reading "44.9" (i.e.45) since the engine is not running in this photo):

(There is tape across the carb airhorn because the only running carb I had available this morning was a Q-Jet with no choke - the tape acts as a choke during warm-up for the testing)

Bottom line: A 1/2 turn of the points dwell screw results in a timing change at the crank of 11 degrees. It's a straight-line relationship, so you can divide it out in any increment you want, and it works the same in both screw directions. In rough terms, turning the screw 1/4 turn will change timing 5.5 degrees, and turning the screw only 1/8 turn will change the timing roughly 3 degrees. If engine speed increases when turning the screw, you are advancing timing and decreasing dwell. If engine speed decreases when turning the screw, you are retarding timing and increasing dwell.

Additionally, I tested the 1:1 relationship of dwell change to timing change: Testing as I had done before, changing the dwell 1 degree can appear to change the timing 2 degrees, especially if that's what you're anticipating (as I had done earlier). It's difficult to actually interpret only a 1-degree or 2-degree timing change at idle due to normal minor timing fluctuations. So I changed the dwell by 5 degrees to induce a much larger timing change: It would then be very easy to tell if the timing changed 5 degrees or 10 degrees - there should be no mistake. With a 5 degree change in dwell, timing changed 5 degrees. Not 10. No doubt about it.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 12-30-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

You're right.
If dwell, for instance, is decreased by a total of one degree, the one degree dwell change comes from the points opening a half-degree earlier and closing a half-degree later. But it's only the half-degree opening point that affects timing, and with the 2:1 ratio, the half-degree opening point change changes crank timing by one degree. So, effectively, there is a 1:1 relationship, with a one degree change in timing for each one degree change in dwell, even though there is a 2:1 relationship between distributor degrees and crankshaft degrees.

Lars
Thanks Lars...

We'll get everyone on board with us, eventually.

Maybe even ol Duke will get out his old slide rule and figure out that I'm right, and have been from the beginning of this discussion.

I don't think the guys over at NCRS agree with me/us yet though. They'll get it figured out.

Last edited by Critter1; 12-30-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Thanks Lars...

We'll get everyone on board with us, eventually.
I'm thinking the fat lady has sung.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:53 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I just edited my post above with some additional info from some more testing I just did.
Lars
Old 12-30-2016, 06:07 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Thanks, Lars for spending the time today to do the testing. Now we can step aside to let everyone who was "right" crow about it.

Duke
Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

I just edited my post above with some additional info from some more testing I just did.
Lars
Now someone should go over to the NCRS board and straighten out those folks. Most follow Duke like he's the pied piper and I doubt he will correct it and admit he's wrong.

It should also be mentioned that the correct answer came from here.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Thanks, Lars for spending the time today to do the testing. Now we can step aside to let everyone who was "right" crow about it.

Duke
You should have admitted you had it wrong way back in the beginning of this thread.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

You should have admitted you had it wrong way back in the beginning of this thread.
that will never happen....
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes

Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Wow - almost two weeks to get to the bottom of this thread that took on a life of it's own. Thanks to LARS for saving us from ourselves.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 12-31-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Now someone should go over to the NCRS board and straighten out those folks. Most follow Duke like he's the pied piper and I doubt he will correct it and admit he's wrong.

It should also be mentioned that the correct answer came from here.
Good luck with getting them to believe that, more than a bit of contempt over there for the CF...
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Wow - almost two weeks to get to the bottom of this thread that took on a life of it's own. Thanks to LARS for saving us ourselves.
I coulda' sworn it was over starting with post #2 and post #8 on 12/17/16?

Quick Reply: Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes