C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:41 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes

A couple of weeks ago I evaluated a local NCRS SoCal Chapter member's '65 coupe with a rare option combination - L-76 with C-60... did the normal spark advance map/idle mixture evaluation, and we took it for a ride on my "test course" behind LAX.

It's solid car, and we plan to drive it over to the Laughlin NV Regional in April. The AC is still R-12, and it works! I used this opportunity to verify the dwell angle - timing relationship that I knew to be 2:1... or is it 1:2? I forgot!

Turns out it's 1:2. A one degree change in dwell changes initial timing by two degrees. Increasing dwell advances timing and decreasing dwell retards timing.

Since the 365 HP engine won't idle stably below 700 where the centrifugal curve starts I checked the dwell-timing relationship at over 2500, which is above the 2350 revs that centrifugal is all in with the OE spark advance map.

This one actually didn't have the OE weights and springs and total centrifugal was more than the OE 24 degrees, but it was all in by 2500.

This is a useful relationship to know. You can easily experiment with finding the detonation limit or retard timing if you get into a situation such as hot weather or too little octane fuel that might get the engine into detonation, like on a road trip. All you need is the allen wrench and a dwell meter... no need for a timing light or loosening the distributor hold down bolt to adjust the timing.

Being as how the recommended dwell angle range is 28-32, if you set it at the nominal 30 degrees and know the initial and/or total WOT advance you can easily advance or retard 4 degrees with just a dwell angle change and know exactly where it is without the need for a timing light, and you can go beyond the OE recommended range, if necessary in an emergency.

Back in the sixties the Royal Pontiac (Detroit) "Bobcat Tune" included quickening the centrifugal curve and setting the dwell angel at 35 degrees. This keeps the points closed a little longer, which increases the engine speed that the coil remains "saturated" for a little more spark energy.

Also, since a higher dwell angle means the points don't open as far it can add a few hundred revs to the point bounce speed, which is good if you're using standard 19-23 ounce breaker arm tension points on SHP engine.

Magazine road tests showed that the Royal Pontiac Bobcats were quicker than the OE tune.

Back in the sixties I would increase the dwell angle a couple of degrees when I went out looking for some Saturday night action along with adding a few gallons Chevron Custom Supreme (about 103 RON) to the SWC's nearly empty tank.

Duke

P. S. if you replace points with an electronic switch you no longer have the above option.

Last edited by SWCDuke; 12-17-2016 at 11:56 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by SWCDuke:
63Corvette (12-28-2016), Bob's 64 (12-17-2016), OneOfThem (12-20-2016), RoadKing96 (12-27-2016), tuxnharley (12-17-2016)

Popular Reply

12-31-2016, 12:09 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

So here is the final summary of everything discussed and determined. I just fired up the test engine this morning and took some last measurements and made some observations:

Set up and ready to fire it up with dwell meter and feeler gauges:

Dwell meter verified calibrated at 45 degrees with engine not running:

Engine running. I like to run a little more than 30 dwell on my own engines, but I backed off this 31.5 reading to 31 degrees for the meaurements to be taken:

I can't remember the last time I actually checked point gap with a feeler gauge, but I did it this morning:

Final Results and Summary:

• You can make minor timing adjustments using the dwell adjustment screw.
  • 1 degree change in dwell changes timing 1 degree.
  • Turning the screw IN (clockwise) INCREASES dwell and DECREASES timing.
  • Turning the screw OUT (counter-clockwise) DECREASES dwell and INCREASES timing.
  • Turning the screw 1/8 turn changes dwell and timing by about 3 degrees.
  • .019" point gap = about 31 degrees dwell.
  • Increasing point gap decreases dwell and increases timing, and vice-versa.
  • A 2 degree change in dwell changes point gap by .003", so every .0015" change in gap changes dwell and timing by 1 degree.
Lars
Old 12-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Increasing dwell advances timing and decreasing dwell retards timing.

Duke
You sure about that?

Last edited by Critter1; 12-19-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

increasing the dwell means the spark occurs later which would be retarding the timing in my mind.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

I can be tricky to intuit, but increasing dwell reduces point gap, so they close later and open earlier and vice versa for decreasing dwell. It's points opening that triggers the spark.

If you have any doubts, just run the same test I did. Anyone with a timing light and dwell meter can do it.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 12-17-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Not getting it either: In my mind, more dwell=less point gap=open later=retard timing

I will try it.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

That's an interesting relationship that I was not aware of, but makes sense when you think it through.

I guess that is why the old tune up proceedures were to set the dwell before the timing.

Thanks for posting!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I always set the dwell on the low side of the spec and timing on advanced side of spec if there was a range. My thought was as the points wear the dwell increases and stays with the recommenced range longer. For example the corvette spec I think is 28-32. I would set the dwell at 28 and the dwell would stay in spec as the points wear through 4 deg of dwell change.

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 12-17-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Sounds to me like just another reason your hood release cable will come off in your hand when the cable wears out.

The point block wears down. This reduces the point gap which means they open later and this in turn retards timing. That's why a tuneup on a high mile engine always felt like the engine ran better. And it did.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
P. S. if you replace points with an electronic switch you no longer have the above option.
But the Pertronix 3 has "Adaptive Dwell" for this exact purpose. And it does not alter the timing.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:46 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

[/QUOTE]"Bobcat Tune" included quickening the centrifugal curve and setting the dwell angel at 35 degrees. This keeps the points closed a little longer, which increases the engine speed that the coil remains "saturated" for a little more spark energy.[/QUOTE]

Hi. Coil saturation question. OK. It's been many years since I played around with points type ignition. I thought coil saturation only happens the instant the points OPEN cutting off the current path to ground through the capacitor. Which then let's the coil build current until it can jump the spark plug gap to ground, which then drains the coil.

Do I have this wrong?
Dave
Old 12-17-2016, 01:48 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I respect you guys but now you are giving conflicting information. It's a simple mechanical concept. The later the points open, the later the spark, which means retard. Longer dwell equals later open (and earlier close), equals retarded spark. How is this difficult? Duke?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by survivor66
I respect you guys but now you are giving conflicting information. It's a simple mechanical concept. The later the points open, the later the spark, which means retard. Longer dwell equals later open (and earlier close), equals retarded spark. How is this difficult? Duke?
I though everybody but the OP was agreeing with you?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
But the Pertronix 3 has "Adaptive Dwell" for this exact purpose. And it does not alter the timing.

indeed it does have adaptive dwell, but all the adaptation is on the switch close end of the dwell interval. The switch open time within the dwell interval does not change, so the coil firing time does not change either.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

"Bobcat Tune" included quickening the centrifugal curve and setting the dwell angel at 35 degrees. This keeps the points closed a little longer, which increases the engine speed that the coil remains "saturated" for a little more spark energy.[/QUOTE]

Hi. Coil saturation question. OK. It's been many years since I played around with points type ignition. I thought coil saturation only happens the instant the points OPEN cutting off the current path to ground through the capacitor. Which then let's the coil build current until it can jump the spark plug gap to ground, which then drains the coil.

Do I have this wrong?
Dave[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, it's the opposite.

Coil saturation is kinda like saturating a sponge. You let the water run on the sponge for a while, and eventually the sponge soaks up all the water it's going to. Any additional water is just a waste of time and water. A coil gets saturated when the current through it has gone on long enough to input all the energy that it's going to store. Any additional current level above that point just wastes electricity and heats the coil up like a toaster.
Once the points open, the current stops, the magnetic field collapses, the coil output voltage increases a bunch until the plug arcs over, and then the stored energy in the coil passes into the plug gap.

There's an ignition sticky in C3 Tech that explains everything in more detail.
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (12-28-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:51 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

69427 Thanks. Dave
Old 12-17-2016, 04:31 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Somebody who has a good old fashioned oscilloscope combo engine diagnostic machine ought to be able to test this by playing with the dwell and watching the results.......

Last edited by tuxnharley; 12-17-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Since the coil is an inductive element (in addition to having resistance) the circuit has "inertia". An inductor is equivalent to mass in a mass-spring-damper system. The mechanical analog of a spring is a capacitor, and a resistor is the mechanical equivalent of a damper.

So when the points close, it takes a few milliseconds for the circuit to achieve steady state DC current, otherwise known as "saturated", but above about 2000-2500 on an eight cylinder engine they're not closed long enough, and less than steady state current means less than maximum open circuit secondary voltage and energy, which is usually measured in millijoules.

You don't need a scope to verify my 1:2 dwell-timing relationship and polarity. Like I said in the original post a timing light and dwell meter is all you need.

Some of you guys need to run the test. Then have fun figuring out why.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 12-17-2016 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (12-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes

Old 12-17-2016, 05:07 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's just easier to watch it all in one place on the machine, that's all......
Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I always understood it was important to set dwell before timing but I didn't realize dwell affected timing that much. Do GM distributors maintain steady dwell when the vacuum advance is disconnected and reconnected?

The reason I ask is that on my Ply GTX I noticed that my dwell changed 2 deg when I disconnected the vacuum advance to time the engine. When I asked about this on the B-Body Mopar forum, I was told this was a fluke of the design of the points plate and where it was hinged which cause the points to shift slightly when the vacuum can pulled it across the arc. So that means my initial timing is changing as much as 4 deg simply by hooking the vacuum hose up after setting timing. Great.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparf...-dwell.100081/

Last edited by DansYellow66; 12-17-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:21 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Struggling here some. I've always seen it as "increase gap/decrease dwell/increase timing".

I used the manual switch on a dual point distributor trick years ago to increase the dwell and retard timing a mile with a tunnel ram/street -racer. Ran around on the single set of points...with a ton of timing (55* used for street cruising and through 2nd gear at the track) and then flip the switch to bring in 2nd set to increase dwell and retard timing under load. You could vary the amount of retard based on dwell settings of 2nd set of points. Grumpy Jenkins did it way back when and it still worked in the 80's!

JIM

Quick Reply: Fine tuning spark advance with dwell angle changes