C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Seat Belt Bolt Rusted Solid, What Are My Options??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:41 AM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat Belt Bolt Rusted Solid, What Are My Options??

Looks like the previous owner of my 66 had tried to replace the seat belts and he stripped the Torx head off of the seat belt bolt. They look like they have never been removed since the car was new. I cut the head off to remove the beat belt bracket. They are rusted solid!!! Tried vice grips with no luck. I have a friend with a welder, I'm going to to have him try welding a nut on top. If that doesn't work, what are my options to get these belts mounted in?? Thank you.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Best solution is to grind off the rivets attaching the underbody seat belt reinforcement brackets and buy new ones. All the Corvette suppliers have these available along with the correct rivets and anchor cables.

Welding or torching around those rusted bolts/nuts is gonna set your whole firberglass body on fire ... then you're gonna need A LOT more parts! Bill
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

To do it/them correctly you'll need to raise the body as the brackets are tucked into and impossible spot to remove without doing what i mentioned...have fun....
Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Seatbelt bolts

I had the same problem with one of my outside mounting bolts. The outside bolts connect directly through to the frame. In my case, the head on the bolt also stripped out. I used a stick welder to weld a nut to the head of the bolt. The heat that the welder generated broke any rust bond that may have existed. I pulled away any carpet and soaked rags in water to put around the fiberglass to keep the area as cool as possible. The seat must be removed. The inside belts go through the tunnel and are secured by cables that are attached to the frame. I still have the bolt and nut in my junk drawer. Good luck. Jerry
Old 12-18-2016, 12:19 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the outside bolt. Seat is out, carpet pulled back. I will take suggestion of wet rags and my friend has said that he has plenty of "things" to protect around the area.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by D-FRESH3
It's the outside bolt. Seat is out, carpet pulled back. I will take suggestion of wet rags and my friend has said that he has plenty of "things" to protect around the area.
dad and I spent two hours drilling out that same bolt and removing it without any other destruction to the surrounding area.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:28 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I had the same problem with one of my outside mounting bolts. The outside bolts connect directly through to the frame. In my case, the head on the bolt also stripped out. I used a stick welder to weld a nut to the head of the bolt. The heat that the welder generated broke any rust bond that may have existed. I pulled away any carpet and soaked rags in water to put around the fiberglass to keep the area as cool as possible. The seat must be removed. The inside belts go through the tunnel and are secured by cables that are attached to the frame. I still have the bolt and nut in my junk drawer. Good luck. Jerry
This has been my magic trick if all else fails. Usually I skip right to this and it works every time.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Belt Bolt Rusted Solid, What Are My Options??

Quick Reply: [C2] Seat Belt Bolt Rusted Solid, What Are My Options??