C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heaterbox seal question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:49 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Heaterbox seal question

Well today I have been reconstructing my Y duct attaching points
(will post pics of that repair in an other thread soon)
after everything was done and I turned on the blower I noticed another problem. I have the glovebox out of the car and I could feel a lot of air comming from that direction, I quickly noticed that the inner distribution box leaks air between it and the firewall. I saw the entire U shaped inner seal was missing. My question is will I be able to get this seal in without removing the heaterbox? (It's a 66 coupe if that matters)

Thanks

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 12-27-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:18 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Is it rubber or 'foam'? if its the foam one you can probably just stuff it in around the box, if its rubber your gonna have to RR box...

You do have the firewall one on/in place?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

The rubber one is in there only the big foam one is missing I think
But I have to check for sure

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 12-28-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well I checked and there is more going on . The front of the heater housing located in the engine bay is cracked on the places where the bolts go. Result is that the heaterbox isn't fully tight up against the firewall, and to come back on the question of 66 jack all the rubber ones are in just the foam one on the interior side is missing,

I guess I can just stuff the foam seal in on the inside and it will work and do everything fine. Only now it annoys me knowing of the cracks

Edit: how big of a deal is it to get heaterbox out ?

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 12-28-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I would repair the outer box first...put the 'foam' seal in and see if the 'air' leak is still there...

To RR the heater...pull the engine side first...remove heater core..."you already have glove box out", then pull radio panels for access to Y-duct and remove...remove the foot duct that attaches to heater box on driver side that the radio panel attaches to...remove cable from heater box...unplug elec. from box...

The Y-duct is and can be brittle and crack, its plastic and not fiberglass so be aware...

Should pull out now...
The following users liked this post:
Twan Sloot (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 66jack
I would repair the outer box first...put the 'foam' seal in and see if the 'air' leak is still there...

To RR the heater...pull the engine side first...remove heater core..."you already have glove box out", then pull radio panels for access to Y-duct and remove...remove the foot duct that attaches to heater box on driver side that the radio panel attaches to...remove cable from heater box...unplug elec. from box...

The Y-duct is and can be brittle and crack, its plastic and not fiberglass so be aware...

Should pull out now...
thanks I think I am pretty far already the Y duct and radio side panels are all out already including the radio itself. so I think It's best to pull the box out entirely. got me some extra work

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 12-28-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:42 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

If you are going to remove the inner heater box, you might as well rebuild it as well with new foam seals on the inner doors. The rebuild kits should also have the correct rivets for reassembly. Plus you can also repair the damaged fiber glass inner and outer boxes.

Don
Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
If you are going to remove the inner heater box, you might as well rebuild it as well with new foam seals on the inner doors. The rebuild kits should also have the correct rivets for reassembly. Plus you can also repair the damaged fiber glass inner and outer boxes.

Don
Thanks Don good tip I think doing the inside foams will make it work better too, too bad I already repaired the inner fiberglass would have been a whole lot easier when it was out of the car really a whole lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Heaterbox seal question

Quick Reply: Heaterbox seal question