C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which LS motor should I use

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:08 PM
autoonero
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which LS motor should I use

I'm building a 62 restomod. I'm not familiar with the LS motors or the tremec transmissions. I was leaning towards the LS7, but I'm hearing things about them dropping valves. Does anyone know if that has been corrected or should I go with a different motor? As far as the trans. I'm told there are a few modifications to the tunnel area by the bell housing and by the shifter. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would personally go LS3. It's almost as big but better bang for the buck. LS3 has lots of good aftermarket support too.

I am doing an LS swap in something now but went with the auto trans

Last edited by Root2812; 12-28-2016 at 04:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Root2812:
Technite73 (12-31-2016), USMC 0802 (01-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 04:47 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I too would recommend the LS3 as the best "bang for the buck" engine. For approximately half the price of the LS7 you get anywhere from 430-525HP right out of the box (crate). And as mentioned above, you can do much more with the aftermarket support if you choose to do so.

With the LS3, you do not need to deal with a dry sump mount up either.

The most popular transmissions for the Corvette RestoMods are the 5 and 6 speed Tremecs. The nice thing about them is that they fit right in without modification - so long as you use the specially designed shifter that fits into the original Corvette location.

Good luck!!

Dan

Last edited by dcaggiani; 12-28-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 PM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I was at Corvettes st Carlisle this past summer and spoke with one of the tranny manufacturers. And to be honest, I can't remember if it was Tremec now.
I ws told the 5 speed needed no tunnel mods, but, the 6 speed did. No mention of a shifter that would fit though.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I second Dan's suggestion. I use LS3 connect and cruise packages. I use automatics though. Very easy install no modifications to Trans tunnel. Hardest part is hiding all the wiring.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a C6 Z06 with a LS7. After my 5 year warranty expired I had the heads pulled and 11 of the value guides were out of spec. Some were close to double the spec. The car had never been raced. I had new exhaust valves and all new bronze guides installed. That was at 21,000 miles. The LS7 is a great engine but Chevrolet has never fixed this problem. Visit the C6 Z06 forum and see for yourself. Personally I would go with an LS3, I think they have 3 versions. If you need the hp of the LS7, just get the heads fixed. The LT1 is another option. The TKO fits very nice in the C2. The tunnel has to be opened up for a 6 speed.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a CTS-V wagon and it had a broken valve spring. Fortunately it did not drop the valve. Never drive it hard and only had about 6-7k miles on it when I dumped it after another engine problem developed.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

What are your intentions with the car when its done? Keep and drive or sell? What chassis/suspension are you using?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

One more for the LS3. I'm using a stroked LS3 for my 61 build with a 4L60E transmission. I'm not far enough along to offer much person experience but I have looked a several. They all told me no mods to the tunnel unless going to the 4L80 and some said then there still was room. I'll be using a 4.000" stroke the same as the LS7 just a smaller bore. I won't be turning it that much anyway.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:03 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Default LS3 and T56 -6 speed

I would also recommend the LS3 for its tried and true experience. Many aftermarket companies build 427 CI LS3s if you want. I went with a Mast Motorsports 416 CI 605HP. I also went with a cable driven throttle body and Holley EFI, so simple! I had actually wanted to use the 5 speed tremec however many report lots of gear noise so I opted for the 6 speed and yes you do need to modify the tunnel
Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
One more for the LS3. I'm using a stroked LS3 for my 61 build with a 4L60E transmission. I'm not far enough along to offer much person experience but I have looked a several. They all told me no mods to the tunnel unless going to the 4L80 and some said then there still was room. I'll be using a 4.000" stroke the same as the LS7 just a smaller bore. I won't be turning it that much anyway.
Robert,

4L80/85E will fit without modifying the tunnel, it's the cooling lines, due to fittings used that cause you to have to bump out the tunnel slightly so they clear.

I think there are Banjo fittings being offered now that should eliminate that problem on a C2.

I'll be using them on project Jimmy Joe, but with it, it doesn't matter as tunnel had to be modified to fit Trans Shield and Flex Plate shields required by NHRA Rules for class...LOL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AN-4L80E-GM...-/231278300872
Old 01-28-2017, 02:54 AM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle
I would also recommend the LS3 for its tried and true experience. Many aftermarket companies build 427 CI LS3s if you want. I went with a Mast Motorsports 416 CI 605HP. I also went with a cable driven throttle body and Holley EFI, so simple! I had actually wanted to use the 5 speed tremec however many report lots of gear noise so I opted for the 6 speed and yes you do need to modify the tunnel

Where did you get those nice looking headers for your LS motor?

Your car is looking good!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:54 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

http://www.ultimateheaders.com/chevy-corvette.shtml

Ultimate Headers great company SS coated headers. Also check out their low profile clamps.

The following 2 users liked this post by j_66chevelle:
Dbl6gun (01-28-2017), Robert61 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

http://www.ultimateheaders.com/chevy-corvette.shtml

Ultimate Headers great company SS coated headers. Also check out their low profile clamps.

Thank you for the header information! Link is now Bookmarked!

Next question..... When you ordered your MAST 416 LS3 stroker..... What ECM EFI system did you opt for, and why? (I'm asking because I am considering the same engine).

Here is where I show my ignorance ..... The ECM/EFI controller (whether Holley, Holley Dominator, or MAST) does that (or would it) include the Engine harness and Drive By Wire pedal? Or would that be an additional purchase? (I prefer the DBW pedal over cable - personal preference )

Unlike your project, my car will be using the stock frame (for buget reasons) for my LS swap.

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 01-28-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

There are many things to consider but when choosing the Holley or the Mast both come with harness. I wanted something different and I wanted over 600 HP so that is why I looked at Mast. But for the money you can't beat the 525HP from GM, the Mast will be almost double for 80HP. That said, I'm still happy with my choice! I chose the Holley because the Mast does not have altitude compensation in their computer and Holley does. The Holley is Speed Density system which does not use a Mass Air Flow sensor very simple plug and play. It got a little tricky when trying to complete some add-ons (fans, VSS, reverse lockout) however I'm no expert with Fuel Injection. Holley documentation stinks and there support is not too much better. The Holley Forum is where I found many answers.

If you contact Mast speak with Chris Durret great customer service.
The following users liked this post:
Dbl6gun (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

There are many things to consider but when choosing the Holley or the Mast both come with harness. I wanted something different and I wanted over 600 HP so that is why I looked at Mast. But for the money you can't beat the 525HP from GM, the Mast will be almost double for 80HP. That said, I'm still happy with my choice! I chose the Holley because the Mast does not have altitude compensation in their computer and Holley does. The Holley is Speed Density system which does not use a Mass Air Flow sensor very simple plug and play. It got a little tricky when trying to complete some add-ons (fans, VSS, reverse lockout) however I'm no expert with Fuel Injection. Holley documentation stinks and there support is not too much better. The Holley Forum is where I found many answers.

If you contact Mast speak with Chris Durret great customer service.
Thank you! Which Holley, the EFI ECM or the Holley Dominator?

True statement about GM LS3-525! I am also considering going with the 525 and add a MAST cam and heads to bump the LS3-525 up a few notches..... But the advantage of the MAST 416 is that it is all done, programmed, etc., where as, swapping the LS3-525's cam and heads will require dyno tuning time. The Mast LS3-416 605 HP engine has just the right HP and torque I'm wanting to achieve, programmed and ready to go, it is just soooo tempting!

Which accessory drive did you opt for? I am initially attracked to the Vintage Air Front Runner accessory drive.... I have to figure out if this drive has enough space by the idler pulley and A/C compressor to allow me to modify the heater hose connections to clear the A-Arm.....

http://www.vintageair.com/lsfrntrnnr.asp

The water pump heater hose connections have to be modified so they don't interfere with the right A-Arm on a factory frame.... Since it looks like you are using an aftermarket frame, would the heater hose connections still need "tweeking"?

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 01-28-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,033 Posts

This is a bit unconventional, but Ill throw it out there any way....

I've always wanted to build an LS based 327 and throw it in a '64 with an M21 4 spd behind it.

I would use the 6.0L LS block, with the crank out of the 4.8L. This will actually result in 329 cu. in., but who's counting? I'd go with forged rods and pistons and top it off with a set of MAST cylinder heads...any head that will fit an LS3 will fit the 6.0L (LS2) block. For a cam I would run a Cam Motion solid roller cam. For an ECU Id run Holley's Terminator Throttle body set up on top of a single plane intake.

No, this obviously wouldn't be the most powerful LS in the world, and yes its probably cheaper to just drop and LS3 into the car and be done with it. That being said, I like things that are a little bit different and I think with 3.70 gears and the 4spd, this set up would rip around town. Plus I'd dress it up and paint it to look as close to the stock 327/365 motor as possible.

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 01-29-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which LS motor should I use

Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbl6gun
Thank you! Which Holley, the EFI ECM or the Holley Dominator?

True statement about GM LS3-525! I am also considering going with the 525 and add a MAST cam and heads to bump the LS3-525 up a few notches..... But the advantage of the MAST 416 is that it is all done, programmed, etc., where as, swapping the LS3-525's cam and heads will require dyno tuning time. The Mast LS3-416 605 HP engine has just the right HP and torque I'm wanting to achieve, programmed and ready to go, it is just soooo tempting!

Which accessory drive did you opt for? I am initially attracked to the Vintage Air Front Runner accessory drive.... I have to figure out if this drive has enough space by the idler pulley and A/C compressor to allow me to modify the heater hose connections to clear the A-Arm.....

http://www.vintageair.com/lsfrntrnnr.asp

The water pump heater hose connections have to be modified so they don't interfere with the right A-Arm on a factory frame.... Since it looks like you are using an aftermarket frame, would the heater hose connections still need "tweeking"?

I'd throw this out there too....if you're going to swap the heads and cam anyway, don't start with the LS3-525, start with the base (i.e. cheapest) LS3....the only difference between the LS3/480/525 is the cam and spring set up. If you start with the 525, you're essentially paying extra for parts you're going to pull off anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Dbl6gun (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 11:58 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

The choice was made for me, Holley EFI. Best I can tell if you want even more flexibility go with dominator.

I used the Vintage Air:

Funny thing is you can barely see any of it once everything is in place.

Could not say anything about the hoses.

BTW, the Mast 605 uses GM heads.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

The choice was made for me, Holley EFI. Best I can tell if you want even more flexibility go with dominator.

I used the Vintage Air:

Funny thing is you can barely see any of it once everything is in place.

Could not say anything about the hoses.

BTW, the Mast 605 uses GM heads.

Now that is interesting! The 605HP Mast engine is using GM heads vesus their own heads?!? ....... I just went back to Mast's website to look again, yep, GM LS3/L92 heads! I just "ASSUMED" they would use their own "black label" heads.... But when they do add their proprietary heads to their crate engines, man does the price jump!

Quick Reply: Which LS motor should I use