C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Florida Winter Regional 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Apparently this years Florida Regional will provide the first "test judging" for the new Concourse class - that'll be interesting for sure... It'll include full blown restomods to somewhat modified original cars...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-03-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:30 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm either getting old or this group is really young.

Not a single person has mentioned Cypress Gardens.

Not a single person has mentioned the year at Disney.

Not a single person has mentioned that we used to have an auction attached with this show.

If NCRS ties in with Mecum we will be the flea stomped by the elephant. NCRS has worked hard to build integrity within the hobby. Getting involved with an auction house will destroy all of that.

Remember when Mecum owned and ran Bloomington Gold? How much did we enjoy that?

Richard Newton
Historical Racing Images
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Dana Mecum saved Bloomington Gold from folding when he bought it.

What was so awful about BG's time with Mecum?
rfn026 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Sorry I'm a youngster....I was doing Mustangs/Camaros up until 10 years ago. Cypress Gardens is now Legoland - a REALLY different theme park. I'll defer on the Mecum question - I DO know that that auction is now a media circus and money machine.....it is a different culture than the "social club" (IRS non-profit definition) of NCRS. Not that the two can't mix...I'm just having hard time envisioning the cross-pollination aspect.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Osceola sounds interesting,for sure would get me to come back.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026

Not a single person has mentioned that we used to have an auction attached with this show.

If NCRS ties in with Mecum we will be the flea stomped by the elephant. NCRS has worked hard to build integrity within the hobby. Getting involved with an auction house will destroy all of that.

Richard Newton
Historical Racing Images
You forgot the 3 (or 4) years after Disney Sports and before Old Town, when we were at the Kissimmee Hyatt convention center (or was it a Marriott?). It was around 2001 at the Hyatt, when we had the record low temperature of 24 degrees one morning. A friend of mine came up from the Keys to hang out with me. My Silverado had heated leather seats and I couldn't get him to get out of the truck till about noon that day. When the next issue of Vette Vues came out, his picture was in it, standing in the middle of my tables wearing a hooded sweat shirt, a leather coat, a wind breaker, a hat, scarf and gloves.

It's funny that you mentioned Cyprus, because an old friend of mine was just saying last week, how much he missed when the show was there. It's been at least 18 years since the last Cyprus show, and there are still people that miss it. I liked Cyprus, but from what I remember, the choice of hotels and restaurants was very limited.

Disney was expensive after being at Cyprus, and a bit of a pain to get around.

The Winter Regional auctions were never very big. It seems to me that they started around 5 at night, and were over by 8. I know they still had the auctions at the Hyatt, and maybe the first couple years at Old Town? There were a few years when we were at Old Town, the same weekend that Barrett-Jackson was in Arizona. I knew a group of guys who would walk across 192 to the Bennigans, to watch Barrett-Jackson on the big screens.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default event

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
move it back to Old Town area where there are a lot more Hotel rooms and not to far from the Mecum Auction for those who want to go to it. That is just my $0.02 worth. If I can't find rooms I am not coming and driving 1/2 way across FL. every day to go to the event for a couple days.
There are plenty of hotel rooms near Lakeland show . had no problem for all club members that wanted to go last year . Old Town has different owners now . Parking close to the show is impossible. They would have to rent a Shopping center parking lot & have security. I enjoyed it there back then for years. Our club drove the cars thru the auction for mecum when they were at Old Town
Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default shows

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
move it back to Old Town area where there are a lot more Hotel rooms and not to far from the Mecum Auction for those who want to go to it. That is just my $0.02 worth. If I can't find rooms I am not coming and driving 1/2 way across FL. every day to go to the event for a couple days.
But driving a Corvette is so much fun
Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
You forgot the 3 (or 4) years after Disney Sports and before Old Town, when we were at the Kissimmee Hyatt convention center (or was it a Marriott?). It was around 2001 at the Hyatt,

The Winter Regional auctions were never very big. It seems to me that they started around 5 at night, and were over by 8. I know they still had the auctions at the Hyatt, and maybe the first couple years at Old Town? There were a few years when we were at Old Town, the same weekend that Barrett-Jackson was in Arizona. I knew a group of guys who would walk across 192 to the Bennigans, to watch Barrett-Jackson on the big screens.
I remember the "twin tower" hotels, the Hyatt and the Radisson IIRC on Irlo Bronson Hwy, where the meet was held for several years after the Disney Speedway and before Old Town. The judged cars were indoors in the parking garage between both hotels. The swap meet was there too.

AND, IIRC, one of those hotels went belly up without much notice, leaving the Florida Chapter scrambling.. finally landing at Old Town.

Both hotels are still there... and one of them is still closed/shut down last I checked.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

All the whimsical reminiscing is fine...folks should understand however that the "new" Old Town is not the "old" Old Town.

There is a different atmosphere at the place, the visitors are different, the area is more congested and urban, and, the logistics have changed. Even if it gets worked into future plans, some aspects may offset the advantage of being closer to Mecum.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Dana Mecum saved Bloomington Gold from folding when he bought it.

What was so awful about BG's time with Mecum?
Exactly! There would be no Bloomington Gold today without Dana Mecum.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SBR
Exactly! There would be no Bloomington Gold today without Dana Mecum.
100% true.
rfn026 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM
7-11vette
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Default florida winter regional

Originally Posted by rfn026

Richard Newton
Historical Racing Images
I remember cypress 1989 there for a few years hyatt hotel there for a couple years disney a couple of years all before old town.. lake land is ok very big and spread out but will be going anyway.. down here now I winter in florida anyway from the snow and cold up north been doing this for over 20 years
rfn026 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Apparently this years Florida Regional will provide the first "test judging" for the new Concourse class - that'll be interesting for sure... It'll include full blown restomods to somewhat modified original cars...
I heard a couple of rumors today.

First, I heard they were judging only 4 cars.... all midyears. All were invited.

Then, I heard that these midyears were all 67's.

Then, I heard that 8 cars were invited, again, all 67's.

There will be no open registration at the meet for the new "concourse" class.

NOTE that this will be "test judging".

Not sure of the accuracy of my source

Last edited by Chuck Gongloff; 01-04-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I heard a couple of rumors today.

First, I heard they were judging only 4 cars.... all midyears. All were invited.

Then, I heard that these midyears were all 67's.

Then, I heard that 8 cars were invited, again, all 67's.

There will be no open registration at the meet for the new "concourse" class.

NOTE that this will be "test judging".

Not sure of the accuracy of my source
The 'test judging' aspect was announced in the latest NCRS Restorer IIRC and is currently announced on the Florida chapter's Facebook page, so that's no secret....

As to the rest of the 'rumors'...I guess we'll find out...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-04-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

The 'test judging' aspect was announced in the latest NCRS Restorer IIRC and is currently announced on the Florida chapter's Facebook page, so that's no secret....

As to the rest of the 'rumors'...I guess we'll find out...
Not sure what judging criteria will be used, Frank.

Cleanliness? Fabrication skills? Beauty contest?

IMHO, judging will be just like any other "general" car show one might attend. In other words, judging will be "subjective" not "objective".

Chuck
Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I think the criteria was vaguely (very vaguely) brought up in the Restorer but its my gut feeling (I have no real idea) that the 'test judging' is to work such things out...

I certainly hope it turns out to be more than another "Show and Shine" gig with a big plasticized trophy.

This event could be a good venue for cars like mine with tastefully done mods such as aftermarket A/C and Detroit Speed headlight motors, since, the Flight Judging folks can't seem to figure it out...

It would be great if some 'prestige' could get accrued to Concourse Judging so a disenfranchised area of the hobby - e.g. restomods/modified could come into their own as a respected aspect of NCRS....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-05-2017 at 07:30 AM.
rfn026 (01-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Florida Winter Regional 2017

Old 01-05-2017, 08:03 AM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Although I live just north of Atlanta I've never made it to the Florida Winter event. This year I happen to be spending the month of January in Florida and I hope to make it one day this year.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Most Concourse Judging events I have been to, are based on Fit and Finish and cleanliness. The Fabrication of the mods, the detail in the paint, motor compartment and areas not easily seen are where you would need to concentrate.

It really does not matter what the mods have been or even how outrageous the car is, it comes down to the quality of work that was performed. and how well it is detailed to show.

So basically stating, a car that does not match numbers in any way or is WAY over restored, will be a great candidate for a Concourse Judging. (Over-spray does not apply!)

In My opinion, The ones Judging need to be a completely different set of judges, because it is a different mind set than Top Flight Judging. This new "Concourse Judging" would be a great way to introduce the show car guys to the restorer guys and "mend" fences so that each understand the goals of what they are doing.

I agree though, you need to keep the integrity of the NCRS judging side as the emphasis of the event, that is.... What it is all about.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

I just heard that there are 28 cars registered for flight judging. That seems really low, hopefully that is not the case.

Quick Reply: Florida Winter Regional 2017