C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Florida Winter Regional 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
All the whimsical reminiscing is fine...folks should understand however that the "new" Old Town is not the "old" Old Town.

There is a different atmosphere at the place, the visitors are different, the area is more congested and urban, and, the logistics have changed. Even if it gets worked into future plans, some aspects may offset the advantage of being closer to Mecum.

I'm just sayin'...
I live next door to Old Town in Celebration and fully agree. I do not feel comfortable taking my cars there at the moment for their weekly cruise ins...you simply have to be with your car all the time. They are doing a very significant renovation and re-branding effort so it is a construction mess at the moment but i'm not sure that would alter the basic lack of good space and some control over people viewing the cars and not crawling all over them. It will be interesting how successful the redo is. To me any good hotel complex that is not horrendously expensive but has an available garage would be good. If it wasn't for really needing protected space we do Orlando Cars and Coffee at an office building on the edge of town here in Celebration with 400 cars once a month and also have a very significant car show in town once a year that is rather large and takes up the entire downtown for 3 days. Car clubs use our downtown a few times a year all weekend (Jag, Alfa, Morgan, etc) and get the downtown streets closed off and secure to park cars and leave overnight but doesn't do any good for protecting perfect cars against weather for judging however if covered space is necessary. If all outdoors works doing it in our town would work with some relatively easy coordination.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by SBR
I just heard that there are 28 cars registered for flight judging. That seems really low, hopefully that is not the case.
Yesterday, I heard it was up into the mid 30's for flight, and somewhere in the 20's for PV.

Chuck
Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM
66/427
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default support

[QUOTE=rfn026;1593788187]I'm either getting old or this group is really young.

Not a single person has mentioned Cypress Gardens.

Not a single person has mentioned the year at Disney.

Not a single person has mentioned that we used to have an auction attached with this show.

If NCRS ties in with Mecum we will be the flea stomped by the elephant. NCRS has worked hard to build integrity within the hobby. Getting involved with an auction house will destroy all of that.

Remember when Mecum owned and ran Bloomington Gold? How much did we enjoy that?

Richard Newton

RFN026
Every time I pull a tab I have Cypress Gardens memories. Didn't want you to think you were the only old timer on this forum. Good times at the gardens.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:57 AM
66/427
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry for the upside down photo left here right side up......Maybe its a customs thing had to empty the contents so you didn't get free beer....or maybe the fact I had a couple with breakfast.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I also remember the event when it was at the old hotel complex up the street from Old Town. It was actually an excellent venue. Dana Mecum was in his infancy and held a small auction in the parking lot next to the hotel. It definitely added an air of excitement to the event. Might have been as few as 100 cars. Boy, how times have changed. He used to do the auctions during Carlisle up on the hill.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 PM
7-11vette
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Florida winter regional

[QUOTE=66/427;1593813202]
Originally Posted by rfn026
I'm either getting old or this group is really young.

Not a single person has mentioned Cypress Gardens.

Not a single person has mentioned the year at Disney.

Not a single person has mentioned that we used to have an auction attached with this show.

If NCRS ties in with Mecum we will be the flea stomped by the elephant. NCRS has worked hard to build integrity within the hobby. Getting involved with an auction house will destroy all of that.

Remember when Mecum owned and ran Bloomington Gold? How much did we enjoy that?

Richard Newton

RFN026
Every time I pull a tab I have Cypress Gardens memories. Didn't want you to think you were the only old timer on this forum. Good times at the gardens.
Check all the replies .. I do remember Cypress, the old hotel disney before OLD TOWN and the Mecum auction in a small tent .been there done that

Quick Reply: Florida Winter Regional 2017