C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1960 early build car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 PM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 1960 early build car?

Any help is appreciated. How do you determine if a car is an early build? According to Corvette Registry, this car's estimated birth date is 12 DEC 1959.

I'm purchasing a trunk mat; Corvette Central states, "If you have an early 60 you may need a 131460 mat, which has the 59 date." There are two mats for early and later build cars. Below are before and after ground up resto pics of this car. This is an original paint car owned by a former USAF fighter jock General who willed the car to his daughter; check the General's star on the bumper. The paint buffed out very nice. Thanks, Jim
Attached Images      
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Great looking car and interesting hubcaps. In the product description it gives a VIN cut off so up to #4700 (in the 1960 version details). http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50e&ukey=45975
The following users liked this post:
judges4u (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Really nice '60. Happy to see if come back to life...I can't provide too much more detail from what was posted above, but glad to see that you kept the pass on the bumper.

My problem is that I can't find a trunk mat for my LATE build date car. I'm way at the opposite end of the spectrum with a 96XX serial number.

R.
judges4u (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
3310vette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no single definition of "early" build. In the NCRS, each Master Judge has his or her opinion of early build. Early build could be cars that were completed with the remaining previous model year exchangeable parts such as headlights and trunk mats; until the parts were used up. With around 10,000 cars built in 1960, I would say that a car built in Dec. 1959 is early build; just my opinion.

I own a 1960 built 4 days after your car. Romeoengineering.com claims that their trunk mats have original appearance top and bottom. Buyer beware. I have never seen a repro mat from any vendor with the small diamond pattern on the back side or the correct date and part info on the top side; and all repro mats are twice as thick as the original mats. Ask Romeo Engineering to send you a photo of the bottom side of the trunk mat. The Corvette Central 59-60 mat is probably the best you are going to get for a Dec. 59 built car. I believe the repro mat is not dated (ND). 59-60 mats, prior to VIN 4700, were the same to fit cars with or without power top. To my knowledge, no one is making accurate reproduction C1 trunk mats.
Joe

Last edited by 3310vette; 01-05-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: change
judges4u (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

judges4u So your car has '64 hubcaps on it?? That's all i find that looks like them. I kinda like the different look.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:17 AM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette60
Really nice '60. Happy to see if come back to life...I can't provide too much more detail from what was posted above, but glad to see that you kept the pass on the bumper.

My problem is that I can't find a trunk mat for my LATE build date car. I'm way at the opposite end of the spectrum with a 96XX serial number.

R.
Thanks R. Maybe Corvette Central has a mat for you; they do sell a late build mat. I don't know how correct the mat is, but in today's world we have to buy what we can get.

I had a great time restoring for the owner. I was a pilot in the USMC and my Dad was also an Army Air Corps pilot in the Pacific theater and later USAF pilot like the General who owned this vette.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 AM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mmaturo
judges4u So your car has '64 hubcaps on it?? That's all i find that looks like them. I kinda like the different look.
Not sure when the General installed those 64 caps. I think they look OK too. I'm keeping the car as the General left to his daughter. During inventory prior to resto, I found a treasure in the trunk that was wrapped and placed inside a plastic container...the General's one star flag he flew in front of his HQ while on active duty. When I delivered the car to the daughter (her husband was my CO in a USMC squadron back in 86), I draped the flag over the car before she walked out to see her restored car. She walked out and when she saw the car and the one star flag draped over the car, she broke down...and smiled and hugged her Dad's car. A moment I'll never forget.

While restoring the car, it was kind of spooky...I was always feeling vibes from the General like he was watching me...him telling me I better do an outstanding resto on his car. I spent many hours researching and without the help from members here, the car would not have finished so nicely. I was shocked how nice the original paint buffed out, and the chrome was in really bad shape, but shined like new after polishing; a testament to the quality of chroming back on the 60s.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 AM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3310vette
There is no single definition of "early" build. In the NCRS, each Master Judge has his or her opinion of early build. Early build could be cars that were completed with the remaining previous model year exchangeable parts such as headlights and trunk mats; until the parts were used up. With around 10,000 cars built in 1960, I would say that a car built in Dec. 1959 is early build; just my opinion.

I own a 1960 built 4 days after your car. Romeoengineering.com claims that their trunk mats have original appearance top and bottom. Buyer beware. I have never seen a repro mat from any vendor with the small diamond pattern on the back side or the correct date and part info on the top side; and all repro mats are twice as thick as the original mats. Ask Romeo Engineering to send you a photo of the bottom side of the trunk mat. The Corvette Central 59-60 mat is probably the best you are going to get for a Dec. 59 built car. I believe the repro mat is not dated (ND). 59-60 mats, prior to VIN 4700, were the same to fit cars with or without power top. To my knowledge, no one is making accurate reproduction C1 trunk mats.
Joe
Hi Joe. Thanks for the info. I agree with you...early build car and that is what I will buy. I'm detailing the car again; the General's daughter has finally come to a decision to let the car go.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by judges4u
Thanks R. Maybe Corvette Central has a mat for you; they do sell a late build mat. I don't know how correct the mat is, but in today's world we have to buy what we can get.

I had a great time restoring for the owner. I was a pilot in the USMC and my Dad was also an Army Air Corps pilot in the Pacific theater and later USAF pilot like the General who owned this vette.
Thanks for the comment - the issue that I ran into is that there early cars had the same mat without or without power top and then mid year, GM switched. So, my trunk cardboard piece is flat (no bump for top) and my mat also reflects that as well. Mine is in really rough shape - really stiff and almost brittle...

Oh well, may have to bite the bullet and just buy what I can as you say.

I see that the car is going to be going up for sale since the General's daughter is going to part ways. Good luck with the additional detailing.

Randy

Last edited by Vette60; 01-06-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Great story and beautiful car. You did a great job getting it back into shape!!
judges4u (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Great story and beautiful car. You did a great job getting it back into shape!!
Thanks GTOguy!

The top frame was in very bad shape as expected; bent and all screw holes needed tapping. Setting up the frame for a factory fit for the new top took some interpolating, but the end result was pretty smooth and tight. I was amazed to find the factory used furniture tacks to attach the top to the cardboard insert in the vert frame. Removing all the old factory compressed cardboard paper like material was a chore! Once blasted, metal prepped etc., the frame looked pretty nice. Check a few of the vert frame resto before and after photos.

The work I did is factory correct; studied all the manuals. Much assistance from the forum here and I truly admire the knowledge and skills these folks have. I think the General is a happy camper considering the before and after.
Attached Images           
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Vert frame after resto pics
Attached Images           
Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

More vert frame and top resto pics
Attached Images           
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

More vert resto pics, and a pic of my Mom who became bored with my work! LOLOL!
Attached Images           
Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 PM
judges4u
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

More vert resto pics
Attached Images     

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 early build car?

Quick Reply: [C1] 1960 early build car?