C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Home Made Bellhousing Offset Dowel Pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Default Home Made Bellhousing Offset Dowel Pins

I was looking into offset dowel pins for bellhousing alignment and found several options. Some are really cheap but you have to pound them into the block and then pound them out if you got it wrong. It seems that the RobbMC pins are popular, but you have to know which ones you need before ordering.
So, you dial in your bellhousing, figure out which ones you need, then order them. Then you wait for them to arrive. So I'm thinking there must be a better way, so I decided to make my own. They will, theoretically, allow for from zero to .030" offset with a single ( 2 part) pin.
I made the pins out of 'drill rod', aka 'silver steel'.
A couple of forum members were interested in it, so that's why I'm posting it.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Tim, thanks for putting this together. Very nice way to make off-set dowels. And easy to follow and replicate Cheers, Bill
Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 AM
mccarley
Corvette Freak
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 343 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice work and very simple idea. Question, is the set screw drilled and tapped all the way though? It looks like it is and it looks like there was just enough hex left to engage the hex wrench.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Buns:

Very nice!! There is always room for improvements in this hobby.......I would consider making up a few dozen sets and then selling them here and on Ebay etc. See if you can launch a new product.

I have personally used the RobbMc dowels and liked them. I just bought the three sizes and had them available when I dialed in the bell housing. Then replace the size I needed/used. Always some on hand.

Thanks for posting this.

Larry
Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

just align the bell housing without the dowel pins. ream the dowel pin holes oversize and turn some CRS stock to fit
Old 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

great idea, but a bit out of reach for us mere mortal that only have a hacksaw blade and a drill motor...

Bill
Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
great idea, but a bit out of reach for us mere mortal that only have a hacksaw blade and a drill motor...

Bill
you are not going to do the fix listed in the thread with a hacksaw and drill motor ether. you can do it with just a drill motor by drilling new dowel pin holes holes and install spring type dowel pins. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slotted-S...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 01-05-2017, 02:20 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by mccarley
Question, is the set screw drilled and tapped all the way though? It looks like it is and it looks like there was just enough hex left to engage the hex wrench.
Yes, the set screw is tapped all the way through. The tap was just kissing the hex, although it looks worse in the picture. I probably could have tapped it from the backside though.

Get notified of new replies

To Home Made Bellhousing Offset Dowel Pins

Quick Reply: Home Made Bellhousing Offset Dowel Pins