C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need some help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 AM
Flash0361
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help and advice

Not sure I am in the right place. I just received my fathers 66 StingRay. It has been sitting in a garage since 1969. He just stopped driving the car. It appears to be the higher horsepower 327. the entire car is original and the engine and transmission are locked up from sitting so long. My goal is to replace only the necessary parts to get the car running. Any advice from knowledgeable people would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:56 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

That's a long time, but I would put a borescope into each spark plug hole and get a look at the cylinder walls. If they look ok I would still spray some penetrant or mix of acetone and atf in the cylinders, get a good battery and see if it will crank over without the plugs in. If it does, then drain and replace the engine oil, clean up the points and try to start it. It will smoke if it starts. It could take a while for the penetrant to free up the motor. Chances are the carburetor will need rebuilding. Inspect the brake lines and hoses, replace the brake fluid and hope it doesn't leak anywhere, but it probably will.

Definitely worry about the brakes and get new tires before attempting to drive it. Just stay here on the forum because you will get your answers right here. Don't try to turn the engine over with the spark plugs in.

And by the way, welcome and we all would love to see some pics of this car.

Last edited by ILBMF; 01-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Harbor Freight has their goosenneck inspection cameras on sale again I think.
Personally, I would not crank that motor with a battery until you've tried to do it by hand first; if there is no nut on the balancer pulley there are ways and tools to still do it. Or, you could put the car in 4th gear, emergency brake off and try to rock it by turning one of the tires. If you turn the left front you can peer into the engine compartment to see if the crankshaft is moving...

Many times the clutch gets stuck because a car sits so long....there is a recent thread on here about how to deal with that:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-40-years.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-12-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

There was a recent discussion about this very topic. Check it out as there were some very good ideas: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593806593
Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

My first advice is to be patient and go slowly. The car has been sitting for a long time - there should not be a hurry to get it going again.

My second advice is to keep Bubba away from this car. In other words, don't let a well-intended fool damage it.

From what you say, this is a valuable car on two counts: it sounds like it may be a "survivor", a particularly valuable kind of old Vette. Second, it sounds like a one family-owned car.

By all you've said so far you may have something particularly valuable on your hands. Take your time, be patient and avoid a jury-rigged fixes, and enjoy what is bound to be a slow process of returning it to service.

Before I would make any attempts at starting it, I would replace all of the fluids (inspecting as you go)(get rid of any old gas as well), and do a thorough inspection of the electrical system (wire insulation can age badly, and all-too common fires quickly destroy these cars). Check for any rodent damage as well.

Unless it's been sitting outside with trees growing up through it, you could easily have a six-figure car there, proceed accordingly.

Edit: Forgive my manners, it's early. Welcome to the Forums! Do not be afraid to post questions often - this is a totally free consulting service. You may not always like the answers (or even the delivery of them), but you'll get more good ideas, and, importantly, avoid more errors, costs, and frustration by asking first. Folks here know these cars, and have made the painful mistakes that can prevent you repeating them. These guys have saved me a ton of time, effort, and frustration for sure.

You know what they say: The smart man learns from his mistakes - the wise man learns from other's mistakes.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 01-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jimgessner (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Flash0361
Not sure I am in the right place. I just received my fathers 66 StingRay. It has been sitting in a garage since 1969. He just stopped driving the car. It appears to be the higher horsepower 327. the entire car is original and the engine and transmission are locked up from sitting so long. My goal is to replace only the necessary parts to get the car running. Any advice from knowledgeable people would be appreciated.
Is your goal to sell it?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Flash0361
Cruising

Originally Posted by AkrHack
There was a recent discussion about this very topic. Check it out as there were some very good ideas: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593806593
Thanks, I'll switch to that discussion board. I'll also post some pictures.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:21 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

When you say transmission and engine are locked up...you probably have a stuck clutch [engaged]
Old 01-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Thanks, I'll switch to that discussion board. I'll also post some pictures.
Pictures are always good.

Do you know why your father quit driving it? Was it locked up when he put it away, or did it lock up from sitting?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:27 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with Frankie about turning it over by hand before using the starter.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default stuck motor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Harbor Freight has their goosenneck inspection cameras on sale again I think.
Personally, I would not crank that motor with a battery until you've tried to do it by hand first; if there is no nut on the balancer pulley there are ways and tools to still do it. Or, you could put the car in 4th gear, emergency brake off and try to rock it by turning one of the tires. If you turn the left front you can peer into the engine compartment to see if the crankshaft is moving...

Many times the clutch gets stuck because a car sits so long....there is a recent thread on here about how to deal with that:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-40-years.html
Good advice thumbs
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Pics, dammit!!!

Carter
Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

This is the kind of car story that gets car guys excited. You should have no problem getting some one from the local Corvette community to come over for a day for guidance and you should. But as stated prior, go slowly and be very careful of bubba. Maybe post your location and someone from here would be able to help.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:42 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
My first advice is to be patient and go slowly. The car has been sitting for a long time - there should not be a hurry to get it going again.

My second advice is to keep Bubba away from this car. In other words, don't let a well-intended fool damage it.

From what you say, this is a valuable car on two counts: it sounds like it may be a "survivor", a particularly valuable kind of old Vette. Second, it sounds like a one family-owned car.

By all you've said so far you may have something particularly valuable on your hands. Take your time, be patient and avoid a jury-rigged fixes, and enjoy what is bound to be a slow process of returning it to service.

Before I would make any attempts at starting it, I would replace all of the fluids (inspecting as you go)(get rid of any old gas as well), and do a thorough inspection of the electrical system (wire insulation can age badly, and all-too common fires quickly destroy these cars). Check for any rodent damage as well.

Unless it's been sitting outside with trees growing up through it, you could easily have a six-figure car there, proceed accordingly.

Edit: Forgive my manners, it's early. Welcome to the Forums! Do not be afraid to post questions often - this is a totally free consulting service. You may not always like the answers (or even the delivery of them), but you'll get more good ideas, and, importantly, avoid more errors, costs, and frustration by asking first. Folks here know these cars, and have made the painful mistakes that can prevent you repeating them. These guys have saved me a ton of time, effort, and frustration for sure.

You know what they say: The smart man learns from his mistakes - the wise man learns from other's mistakes.
Well said EASY RHINO. There is a ton of knowledge here that loves to share and help you. TIME.......and patience is needed. It took 17 years to get my college degree. And 74 years to learn Corvette 101. We enjoy helping. We all need photos and your questions. Please tell us more. More than likely, there is a C-2 Corvette owner close to you. And they may belong to the NCRS [ National Corvette Restorers Society ]. It has over 15000 members world wide. Attendance at a local chapter event will introduce you to a university of knowledge. And many new friends will willingly come forward and help you. Check their website www.ncrs.org . WELCOME to C/F. Many good people here.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:00 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Is the car a coupe or convertible? Do you have all the original paperwork file? This PROVANANCE is priceless. We need more info. DO NOT START THAT ENGINE without proper preparation. FRANKIE the Fink has been down this highway many times.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Welcome to the CF. You have received some very good guidence. Let me add some other thoughts. We don't mean too pry, but what state are you in? Knowing this can help us link you to another CF partner for help. Document in writing everything about the car. Also take hundeds of pics. Safety is very critical. Having the right tools, knowing when to ask for help. Have you done any kind of work on old cars? Do you have a garage to work in? All this is part of the old car world. Dennis
Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 AM
Flash0361
Cruising

Default thanks for all the advice

Ok I'm trying to post some pictures. First, I had an inspection done on the frame. The frame came back solid. The motor was completely locked and while examining the engine I observed that the freeze plugs are rusted out. My decision was to just remove the engine and take it apart. I decided to go this route as not to damage anything inside the engine. After removing the engine I cleaned the oil off and ran the engine numbers. since my father bought this car off the lot in 1966 I knew it was original, but seeing the matching VIN on the block still made my day. I have ran the block number and this is the HT block. I know this by two ways. fist is that the stamp is HT but after cleaning the engine off, the manufacturer wrote 66 HT on the sides of the block by hand. It's also a factory air car with the battery sitting in the drivers side front fender. I disassembled the engine and kept everything. The engine is at the machine shop being baked and blasted to remove the insane amount of rust and crap in the water jackets. The bore is still good as well as the pistons so I think I'll just put on new rings and keep the dome pistons in the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help and advice

Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 AM
Flash0361
Cruising

Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 AM
Flash0361
Cruising

Old 01-26-2017, 01:46 AM
Flash0361