C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C3 guy asking C2 wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:33 PM
DJordan442
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by watson
I can speak from experience on some of your budget estimates and I think that you are low on some. You are allocating $10,000 for paint. That might be OK if the car is perfect and just needs a mop and glow job. In California, if you have to strip the old paint, you will be lucky to find a decent job for $20,000. On my 65, the materials alone cost $6,000. Now I used good stuff, but it is something that you want to do once. The $7K for engine and tranny is fine if you do a lot of the work yourself. The $5K top will get you a soft top and install. The $5K for unknowns, chrome, and misc is probably too low. If you go to look at the car, bring a C2 guy along to look at the birdcage etc. California cars do rust in bad places that you can't see. Good luck, I hope you find a good C2.

Doc
Agree, I would budget 15-20k for a high quality paint job in CA. $25k doesn't get very far in restoring these cars if you are doing high quality work and replacing lots of parts.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by watson
I can speak from experience on some of your budget estimates and I think that you are low on some. You are allocating $10,000 for paint. That might be OK if the car is perfect and just needs a mop and glow job. In California, if you have to strip the old paint, you will be lucky to find a decent job for $20,000. On my 65, the materials alone cost $6,000. Now I used good stuff, but it is something that you want to do once. The $7K for engine and tranny is fine if you do a lot of the work yourself. The $5K top will get you a soft top and install. The $5K for unknowns, chrome, and misc is probably too low. If you go to look at the car, bring a C2 guy along to look at the birdcage etc. California cars do rust in bad places that you can't see. Good luck, I hope you find a good C2.

Doc

Just wondering where you guys out west go for your soft top installations?? Because out here on the East coast you can go to Corvettes at Carlisle, and Al Knoch will install a brand new top for around $1800.00....

Heck you could ship your car out here, see Carlisle, get your top done, and have a little vacation for that $5K....
Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Oaker57
Just wondering where you guys out west go for your soft top installations?? Because out here on the East coast you can go to Corvettes at Carlisle, and Al Knoch will install a brand new top for around $1800.00....

Heck you could ship your car out here, see Carlisle, get your top done, and have a little vacation for that $5K....
That would be for the vinyl top and install ONLY!! It reads to me that the OP doesn't have any of the soft top hardware (bows, etc)...I think the $5000 for everything is in the ballpark
Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Oaker57

Does Al's price include the frame for the top, too? This car has NO tops.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
That would be for the vinyl top and install ONLY!! It reads to me that the OP doesn't have any of the soft top hardware (bows, etc)...I think the $5000 for everything is in the ballpark
Ahhhh!! Good point, the all important frame...!! I was thinking it was already there....
Old 01-15-2017, 10:42 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default car

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I'll tell you what I know so far, and ask that you give me a clue.
Going to look at a 64 Vert this Weds.
All I know is Riverside Red on Red
327/300HP
Auto/powerglide
No hard top or soft top
Numbers matching
Needs fresh paint, interior refresh, probably lots of details too.
He wants me to make an offer, and will not give me a figure at all.
What would be a good minimum, maximum?
I bet this will need $25,000 to make it nice. (My guess, no looking).
Try to get someone in your area that is familiar with c2s to look at it.You will get a short education on them. Let us know how it turns out w pics
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I will take some pictures.
It seems to me you guys are coming up with $40K to restore it. For a car maybe worth 50K when done, he will need to give it to me.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Little red 63
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you should be able to get a very decent (not show) paint job in the $4-6k range in california. My 63 was recently painted over original paint in Bay Area and it was $4k. If you are going over original coat it should be fine. If there are other repaints on the car, consider stripping old paint off though and your cost will go up. If you have the soft top frame, you should be about $1500 for new top and install.

[QUOTE=watson;1593870309]I can speak from experience on some of your budget estimates and I think that you are low on some. You are allocating $10,000 for paint. That might be OK if the car is perfect and just needs a mop and glow job. In California, if you have to strip the old paint, you will be lucky to find a decent job for $20,000. On my 65, the materials alone cost $6,000. Now I used good stuff, but it is something that you want to do once. The $7K for engine and tranny is fine if you do a lot of the work yourself. The $5K top will get you a soft top and install.

Quick Reply: C3 guy asking C2 wisdom