C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 speed warning question

 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 PM
  #1  
DJordan442
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DJordan442's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Harleysville PA
Posts: 735
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default 67 speed warning question

So sent my cluster out to be restored and found out that my car has the speed warning speedo. This is my first car with it so wasn't aware. I'd like to check the car to see if it came with this option originally. What and where would I look for the harness wire(s) and buzzer. Thanks for any help Also, any pics would be appreciated if you have them.
DJordan442 is offline  
Old 01-19-2017, 09:01 PM
  #2  
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member
 
Nowhere Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Sitting in his Nowhere land Hanover Pa
Posts: 34,104
Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,367 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

There is a jumper harnes that runs from the fuse box to the buzzer and back behind the cluster. The buzzer is on the bird cage cross brass almost behind the radio towards the radio side panel. It can be added with out ZERO detection of being original to the car or not
Nowhere Man is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere Man For This Useful Post:
DJordan442 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 PM
  #3  
Critter1
CF Senior Member
 
Critter1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Pasco Florida
Posts: 2,528
Thanked 448 Times in 338 Posts
Default

By the way, the tachometer yellow/red zone on 67's with speed alert speedometers are different colors than on cars without speed alert.

On cars with speed alert, the colors are orange/red. On tachometers on cars without speed alert, the colors are yellow/orange.

That's because a different division of Delco made the tach/speedo assemblies for speed alert cars.

Next time you see an original unrestored 67 with that option, note the colors.
Critter1 is offline  
Old 01-19-2017, 11:15 PM
  #4  
Mike67nv
CF Senior Member
 
Mike67nv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 1,956
Thanked 178 Times in 144 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by DJordan442 View Post
So sent my cluster out to be restored and found out that my car has the speed warning speedo. This is my first car with it so wasn't aware. I'd like to check the car to see if it came with this option originally. What and where would I look for the harness wire(s) and buzzer. Thanks for any help Also, any pics would be appreciated if you have them.
There are a number of subtle differences with the speed warning speedo (U15) which was a $10.55 option. Below are some pics of mine.

The first pic shows the unit as installed with the most obvious differences being the set **** (arrow) and the speed indicator needle. You can see the different tach redline coloring mentioned by Critter 1. Both tach and speedo needles have no "tail" like the standard speedo. Not so obvious is that both tach and speedo lenses are plastic (not glass), allowing the speedo lens to be drilled for a hole allowing the set rod to pass through.

The second pic shows the power wire that attaches to the back of the cluster (arrow) and the buzzer location (circled).

The third pic shows the end of the U15 harness (arrow) plugged into the fuse panel.






Last edited by Mike67nv; 01-19-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Mike67nv is online now  
Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM
  #5  
DJordan442
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DJordan442's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Harleysville PA
Posts: 735
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Mike67nv View Post
There are a number of subtle differences with the speed warning speedo (U15) which was a $10.55 option. Below are some pics of mine.

The first pic shows the unit as installed with the most obvious differences being the set **** (arrow) and the speed indicator needle. You can see the different tach redline coloring mentioned by Critter 1. Both tach and speedo needles have no "tail" like the standard speedo. Not so obvious is that both tach and speedo lenses are plastic (not glass), allowing the speedo lens to be drilled for a hole allowing the set rod to pass through.

The second pic shows the power wire that attaches to the back of the cluster (arrow) and the buzzer location (circled).

The third pic shows the end of the U15 harness (arrow) plugged into the fuse panel.





Thanks Critter1 and Mike,
This is very interesting. My speedo has the longer dial (i read both are 1/4 inch longer) that does not have a tail, but the "red-line" area extends from 5500-6500 rpm and is yellow/orange. Both gages appear to have plastic lenses as well. I need to look to see if the buzzer and wires are there. Will try to post some pics tonight.
DJordan442 is offline  
Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 PM
  #6  
DJordan442
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DJordan442's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Harleysville PA
Posts: 735
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-assembly.html

My tach looks just like the one in the post above with speed warning but is not orange/red like mentioned above. Looks like yellow/orange is a speed warning tach. I've also spoken to Rick from Rick's restoration and he confirmed the same.

Last edited by DJordan442; 01-20-2017 at 07:17 PM.
DJordan442 is offline  
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM
  #7  
Critter1
CF Senior Member
 
Critter1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Pasco Florida
Posts: 2,528
Thanked 448 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DJordan442 View Post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-assembly.html

My tach looks just like the one in the post above with speed warning but is not orange/red like mentioned above. Looks like yellow/orange is a speed warning tach. I've also spoken to Rick from Rick's restoration and he confirmed the same.
All of the originals that I've seen over the decades (almost 50 years) had the colors that I described above.
Critter1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Critter1 For This Useful Post:
DJordan442 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:10 PM
  #8  
DJordan442
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DJordan442's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Harleysville PA
Posts: 735
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Critter1 View Post
All of the originals that I've seen over the decades (almost 50 years) had the colors that I described above.
Not doubting you Critter1 as I'm an amateur at best and have high respect for the guys that have loved these cars for decades. But the previous post that I listed and my tach are originals that have yellow/orange and have the speed warning. Rick has literally looked at over a thousand of these over 30 years and told me that my yellow/orange tach is original and correct. He restored these for a living. Lets clink some beers over this.
DJordan442 is offline  
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 PM
  #9  
Critter1
CF Senior Member
 
Critter1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Pasco Florida
Posts: 2,528
Thanked 448 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DJordan442 View Post
Not doubting you Critter1 as I'm an amateur at best and have high respect for the guys that have loved these cars for decades. But the previous post that I listed and my tach are originals that have yellow/orange and have the speed warning. Rick has literally looked at over a thousand of these over 30 years and told me that my yellow/orange tach is original and correct. He restored these for a living. Lets clink some beers over this.
Anything is possible. I've seen a lot of strange things that turned out to be correct orignal.
Critter1 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 speed warning question


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: