C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] "Western Wheels" Knock-offs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bb62
I'm not sure I buy that conclusion. Real stuff is always worth more and will stay that way.
if anything the pool of people willing to pay for originals is dying off
Old 01-29-2017, 04:21 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bb62
I'm not sure I buy that conclusion. Real stuff is always worth more and will stay that way.
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
if anything the pool of people willing to pay for originals is dying off
Its all relative. Yes, the real stuff is worth more and will stay that way, but as the people willing to pay for the real McCoy's are dying off, the price will continue to decline but not as much as the repos. IMHO.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:07 PM
coupe64
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock offs

Well.. I got a set .... 2 of them have a slight wobble to them. I put them on the back ! Car drives fine I dont even notice the slight wobble !!! I'm probably gonna replace them with new ! Not Used I'll probably sell these 2 wheels later ,which can be used for a spare tire ! Or .I'm gonna go back to regular wheels with the stock hubcaps But these wheels really make the car
Old 05-28-2017, 05:00 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I had KH Western Wheels on my 65. A couple of the wheels took a lot of weight to balance so I could never get them quite right.
I bought a new set of Bolt On / Knock Offs from Corvette America and put on a set of Michelins. That made a big difference on my car.
Also, no worries about a wheel coming off.

Last edited by woodsdesign; 05-28-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:22 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
Well the simple answer to your question "are Western Wheels with the KH stamped on the wheels, considered a real KH wheel", the answer is NO they are not real KH wheels. They are Western Wheels produced in modified molds originally made by KH. They did not start producing these wheels until the late 70s and continued to the late 80s. When KH stopped producing these wheels for GM, their tooling was given to Western Wheel to produce them for the aftermarket. By the late 80s when Western Wheel stopped producing them, Corvette America bought their tooling. If you search this forum, somewhere you will find a long story of K/O wheels that Corvette America wrote many years ago.

But to your question "If Western Wheel was a division of KH at that time, are they now considered an original KH wheel or not?", the answer to this question is NO, because they were not produced by Western Wheel until years after the last C2 66 with P48 wheels was produced.

The ONLY "original" KH (option P48) wheels all have this embossing on the inside. Every single one. Plus a date stamp. Any without are reproductions. I have a set of 5 Western Wheel k/o's like yours from the early 80s. Bill
Bill are your wheels 63/64 style? If so are they for sale.

Thanks
Jay
Old 05-29-2017, 02:22 PM
coupe64
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean... had them balanced .. Car was shaking at 50 mph brought them back ... now the 4.5 oz weight that was on the inside ..is now on the outside ! And no one noticed I had 5 out of round tires on the balancer ! Not only that, the young kid who was balancing them kept adding weight to the old weights making everything worse I had 1 tire so bad it took a 5 inch dive on the balancer !! And Nobody noticed !!! Part of the problem was the car had sat for 5 years before I got it causing flat spots !!!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:02 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Bill are your wheels 63/64 style? Jay
Hi Jay. No my set is 65- 66 ... the only difference (in the wheel) is the are painted a deep gray Colorado between the fins. And my set is actually 66 with brushed cones instead of polished ones. Bill

Oh, and no, not for sale. Sorry

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 05-29-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:38 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
Hi Jay. No my set is 65- 66 ... the only difference (in the wheel) is the are painted a deep gray Colorado between the fins. And my set is actually 66 with brushed cones instead of polished ones. Bill

Oh, and no, not for sale. Sorry
Thanks Bill for letting me know.

Jay
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
western wheel knock offs are knock offs of KH knock offs
Recently as I was extolling the many virtues of my '65, I told my son (IP attorney) that it had knock-off wheels (the word knockoff means litigation to him). After much talking past each other, he now understands that I have knockoff knockoffs, and while better than no knockoffs at all, they are not as good as non-knockoff knockoffs.

He's still a little confused about the whole business of why one would want knockoffs, though.

Quick Reply: [C2] "Western Wheels" Knock-offs