C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buddys 66 coupe is have dash light problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 AM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Buddys 66 coupe is have dash light problems

I thought I would run this post past some of the FORUM members
might be some help for him and his shop...not my car but Im willing to ask for some advice
My buddy has his car in the shop their trying figure out what the electrical problem is/or related to...
not a vette shop sorry to say...here is the report...
any suggestions would be appreciated
"Dash lights turned on blows fuse"...not sure if the description is very accurate ..but thats what he sent to me..

symptoms are that when I turn the instrument lights on, the 4 amp fuse blows, so did a 5 amp fuse and a 10 amp.
when that fuse blows it takes out the rear lights (ie when the lights are on the red rear lights go on); but turn signals and brake rear light bulbs still work.

I think you posted it before, and it was said that it's a short which has to be traced down with continuity checks along the wires or some such thing.

Last edited by bluzrocker; 02-01-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: add info
Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

It takes two fuses to get dash lights. The voltage is supplied to the instr fuse via the tail lamp fuse, so both must be good. It's not unusual for a 4a fuse to blow because that's about the current consumed by all the dash lights, but a 5a should work and a 10a certainly indicates a short. the only thing that should be on that circuit are the dash lights, including the clock and radio lights. You must either have a shorted gray wire to one of the instr lamps, or a shorted bulb internally. My first attempt would be to pull the radio connector, then disconnect the bulb socket going to the clock so it has no ground. After that it's going to be a matter of following all the gray wires and checking bulbs to find your short. Also make sure nothing has been added to the circuit that could be shorted, like an aftermarket radio connected to the stock plug. It won't be in the dash dimmer or anywhere before the fuse, so focus on the gray wire circuit.

PS, check the lamp mounted on the lighter also.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 02-01-2017 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bluzrocker (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 AM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default short on 66

thank you....great explanation...I will pass this on
again tx for the time and thought you have provided

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It takes two fuses to get dash lights. The voltage is supplied to the instr fuse via the tail lamp fuse, so both must be good. It's not unusual for a 4a fuse to blow because that's about the current consumed by all the dash lights, but a 5a should work and a 10a certainly indicates a short. the only thing that should be on that circuit are the dash lights, including the clock and radio lights. You must either have a shorted gray wire to one of the instr lamps, or a shorted bulb internally. My first attempt would be to pull the radio connector, then disconnect the bulb socket going to the clock so it has no ground. After that it's going to be a matter of following all the gray wires and checking bulbs to find your short. Also make sure nothing has been added to the circuit that could be shorted, like an aftermarket radio connected to the stock plug. It won't be in the dash dimmer or anywhere before the fuse, so focus on the gray wire circuit.

PS, check the lamp mounted on the lighter also.

Get notified of new replies

To Buddys 66 coupe is have dash light problems

Quick Reply: Buddys 66 coupe is have dash light problems