C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NGK Extended tip Racing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 AM
trarmour
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NGK Extended tip Racing Spark Plugs

I have a 1965 Corvette with a 365HP 327 Cu In engine. Factory spec's call for AC 44 spark plugs which are a non resistor and not an extended tip spark plug. I have been using NGK B6S spark plugs in it that is the equivalent to the AC 44.

I've been thinking of putting in the NGK Racing Spark Plugs in it with the same reach and the same #6 heat range but they are an extended tip spark plug.

First of all would I gain any advantage from an extended tip plug, is there room for it without the piston hitting it and is the racing version a better choice for an 11 to 1 compression engine.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

My 2 cents worth is: If you are looking for more performance and reliability, install a breakerless ignition and a CDI controller. The difference in changing plugs may not be noticable unless you do testing under very controlled conditions. Just stick with your current plug, be that AC Delco or NGK. I would bet the AC plugs are considerably less expensive. Drive and enjoy! Dennis
Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm not sure they are going to clear the piston dome. You would have to try one with a piston at TDC. Also wouldn't expect to see much, if any HP increase.

Get notified of new replies

To NGK Extended tip Racing Spark Plugs

Quick Reply: NGK Extended tip Racing Spark Plugs