C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Corvette Central's Item# 531102 1959-1962 Corvette Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Corvette Central's Item# 531102 1959-1962 Corvette Hurst Shifter

Looking for input from any that have purchased and installed Corvette Central's Item# 531102 1959-1962 Corvette Hurst Shifter (it has a replicated reverse lockout T-handle that looks the part of the original factory shifter). I did a forum search and found one thread where Tom Parsons seemed happy with it - (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ssemblies.html Post #14) so I'm leaning towards ordering one but figured I'd ask for input (positive or negative) first?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I don't have any experience with the 59-62 handle, but I am familiar with the Hurst "dummy" handles for newer Corvettes.

I like them, they seem well made. On the 63 and later handles, the reverse "T" is spring loaded, so it does give the illusion of being stock and functional. I assume the "T" is spring loaded in the early handle too?

From my experience, they don't effect the operation of the shifter. Personally, I think they look a lot better too, especially compared to one of those tall, curved Hurst handles, in a stock console.

I've never bothered with one for my 62, but then I don't even have the console plate or ashtray in my car. All I have is the carpeted tunnel and a large Hurst boot.
The following users liked this post:
HilltopClassicCars (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I see no reason why it shouldn't work (well, not exactly 'work'...) and look like the original; if it wasn't so short I would probably use one with my Keisler SS700. BUT, I need a longer handle to overcome the gate spring pressure of the shifter mechanism for that style transmission.

Bill
Attached Images    
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I don't have any experience with the 59-62 handle, but I am familiar with the Hurst "dummy" handles for newer Corvettes.

I like them, they seem well made. On the 63 and later handles, the reverse "T" is spring loaded, so it does give the illusion of being stock and functional. I assume the "T" is spring loaded in the early handle too?

From my experience, they don't effect the operation of the shifter. Personally, I think they look a lot better too, especially compared to one of those tall, curved Hurst handles, in a stock console.

I've never bothered with one for my 62, but then I don't even have the console plate or ashtray in my car. All I have is the carpeted tunnel and a large Hurst boot.
Thanks for your thoughts on this Glenn, good question as far as the reverse lockout "T" being spring loaded? The product description doesn't mention anything about that either way so I'm not expecting it to be. Perhaps someone else can answer that question?

Currently there is a Hurst Competition Plus shifter with a fairly short straight handle that works fine, this one looks to be about the same length as what's already in the car.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 AM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

It is for a Hurst competition plus shifter, I have one in my 61, it is tight shifting and looks great. The T does nothing, it doesn't rattle, moves up and down and has all the quality I was looking for. You must overcome the tension to get in reverse, and 1-4 has short throws and stop travel. My original was worn the pin was loose and no spring. To me it was a great choice, I used a small boot like the one in the above pictures and just trimmed it to fit under the plate. I was lucky and used like new for less.

Last edited by 61corv; 02-07-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:44 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

I have the same system on my 65 and 67 and I love it. I did not buy them from Corvette Central. They are not the manufacturer and you can find them a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Doc
Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by watson
I have the same system on my 65 and 67 and I love it. I did not buy them from Corvette Central. They are not the manufacturer and you can find them a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Doc
Doc, thanks for your reply. I've looked and looked and finally found Paragon has it for $3.00 less plus free shipping so that's about $12.00 less total. If there is a better priced source, would you be so kind as to point me in their direction?

Last edited by HilltopClassicCars; 02-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by wmf62
I see no reason why it shouldn't work (well, not exactly 'work'...) and look like the original; if it wasn't so short I would probably use one with my Keisler SS700. BUT, I need a longer handle to overcome the gate spring pressure of the shifter mechanism for that style transmission.

Bill
Bill, I have one of the short Hurst flat handles like in your picture that I am going to try instead of the straight handle that comes with the Long shifter on a Richmond Super Street 5 speed that is as of yet uninstalled on my 62. I wish they still made the 9 inch high curved Hurst handle. It is perfect for the C1s.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I have this shifter in my '60 and I like it. I agree with what 61corv said. The T-handle is spring loaded but doesn't do anything. The Hurst shifter body has a heavy spring loaded lockout pin for reverse.

The only thing I would add is that I didn't like the small shifter ball. I've been out of town for the last 8 months, so I can't give you exact dimensions, but the ball that comes with this shifter replicates (I assume) the original size ball. I found a larger replacement ball that would be the same as mid to late 60's hurst shifters. But the larger ball is a little harder to find to fit this shifter because the threads on this shifter are smaller than the standard hurst shifter sticks.

Terry
Old 02-21-2017, 12:52 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by 427390HP
I have this shifter in my '60 and I like it. I agree with what 61corv said. The T-handle is spring loaded but doesn't do anything. The Hurst shifter body has a heavy spring loaded lockout pin for reverse.

The only thing I would add is that I didn't like the small shifter ball. I've been out of town for the last 8 months, so I can't give you exact dimensions, but the ball that comes with this shifter replicates (I assume) the original size ball. I found a larger replacement ball that would be the same as mid to late 60's hurst shifters. But the larger ball is a little harder to find to fit this shifter because the threads on this shifter are smaller than the standard hurst shifter sticks.

Terry
So I just installed the reproduction shifter with the spring loaded reverse lockout T and a new shifter boot as the old one was ripped and the rubber pretty stiff. I got the improved boot with the wire reinforcement down at the base. I replaced the undersized shift **** that comes with the repro shifter with the standard sized **** that was on the competition plus shifter after MacGyvering my own heli-coil of sorts to adapt from the 3/8"-18 threaded hole in the shift original **** down to the 5/16"-16 threads that the reproduction shift handle has. I gave a real good cleaning to the shifter trim plate, the shift pattern placard, and the ash tray which generated the following question;

Is the correct orientation for the ash tray to have the cover hinge closer towards the drivers seat or the passengers seat?

It's not a big deal but I figured I might as well put it back correctly oriented if there is a known correct orientation for it?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by HilltopClassicCars
So I just installed the reproduction shifter with the spring loaded reverse lockout T and a new shifter boot as the old one was ripped and the rubber pretty stiff. I got the improved boot with the wire reinforcement down at the base. I replaced the undersized shift **** that comes with the repro shifter with the standard sized **** that was on the competition plus shifter after MacGyvering my own heli-coil of sorts to adapt from the 3/8"-18 threaded hole in the shift original **** down to the 5/16"-16 threads that the reproduction shift handle has. I gave a real good cleaning to the shifter trim plate, the shift pattern placard, and the ash tray which generated the following question;

Is the correct orientation for the ash tray to have the cover hinge closer towards the drivers seat or the passengers seat?

It's not a big deal but I figured I might as well put it back correctly oriented if there is a known correct orientation for it?
I'm still out of town so I don't have my A.I.M. handy, but a quick search on the internet shows the ashtray with the hinge side towards the passenger side. I'd put it in that way for now and see if anyone else chimes in.

Terry
HilltopClassicCars (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:08 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Ashtray was installed so the driver could use it, with the **** facing the driver. Of course, unless you're a smoker, and plan to use it, I don't think it makes much difference.
HilltopClassicCars (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by 427390HP
I'm still out of town so I don't have my A.I.M. handy, but a quick search on the internet shows the ashtray with the hinge side towards the passenger side. I'd put it in that way for now and see if anyone else chimes in.

Terry
Originally Posted by gbvette62
Ashtray was installed so the driver could use it, with the **** facing the driver. Of course, unless you're a smoker, and plan to use it, I don't think it makes much difference.
Thanks for the replies Terry and Glenn, I'll orient it that way. It won't be used by either driver or passenger, regardless of who the driver and passenger happen to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Central's Item# 531102 1959-1962 Corvette Hurst Shifter

Quick Reply: [C1] Corvette Central's Item# 531102 1959-1962 Corvette Hurst Shifter