C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question about "CE" stamped engines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 AM
VetteZr
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Question about "CE" stamped engines.

I am currently rebuilding my 65, my car was not an engine numbers matching car, I know that GM used to stamp their counter exchange engines with a CE on the numbers pad, my questions are 1. when did GM start using the counter exchange stamping on the number pad & 2. was it machine stamped or were they hand stamped, ie: crooked, uneven stampings, and finally if this was used in 65, could someone post a photo of a properly stamped engine. My reason for this is that I have been offered a fresh engine which is date correct for my car with a CE stamp at an attractive price & if it is properly stamped, I want to buy it. Thank you for any help offered.
Don
Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VetteZr
I am currently rebuilding my 65, my car was not an engine numbers matching car, I know that GM used to stamp their counter exchange engines with a CE on the numbers pad, my questions are 1. when did GM start using the counter exchange stamping on the number pad & 2. was it machine stamped or were they hand stamped, ie: crooked, uneven stampings, and finally if this was used in 65, could someone post a photo of a properly stamped engine. My reason for this is that I have been offered a fresh engine which is date correct for my car with a CE stamp at an attractive price & if it is properly stamped, I want to buy it. Thank you for any help offered.
Don
Still would be NOM. I would say buy it if you want it at a decent price. But I would not pay any extra for it because it is a CE engine. In 2010, I bought mine with small journal crank and rods for 800.00. It was freshly machined (decked too) with new cam bearings plus plugs. The block was already magnifluxed. I remember seeing the numbers and doing some research on it. It was one out of a police car or something like that from the engine stamp numbers I have seen. Been so long ago...

Really it comes down to what done to the fresh engine. I think the program was around in 65.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 02-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The CE engine program was started in 1967 to track engine warranty costs. CE stands for "Chevrolet engine".

Service replacement short blocks were unstamped.

CE engines had a series of numbers after the CE stamp. The series of numbers ID'd the engine batch run. There was more than one series of numbers.

A CE engine will have the wrong block casting number, a wrong date and a wrong engine code number. That means the only thing you'll have correct is the machined surface and a chance to screw up when you apply the car serial number.
The following users liked this post:
jimh_1962 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Still a good engine if you want to go with a 327. Maybe I am biased...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The L79 shortblock ( equipped with 962 350/350 cam), I bought over the counter at Chev parts in 1976 is stamped with a CE number.

The block was cast in 1970, and according to the number on the pad, was assembled in 1974, from memory.

It is a small journal block.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 02-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Here is a good article on this subject that shows some pictures of the stamps.

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/engine_stamp_numbers.htm
Old 02-15-2017, 10:52 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Years ago I sent Noland Adams a letter about a 67 BB car with a CE engine. I gave him all of the numbers on the engine and the car. He sent back a long letter that explained how everything indicated that the engine may well have been replaced on the production line and that it really was the engine that the car was delivered with. Obviously it is not possible to prove that was the case, but I gained a new appreciation for the term "numbers matching." I also gained a real appreciation for what kind of guy Noland was. If the engine you are looking at is a good runner, buy it and don't worry about the numbers.

Doc

Last edited by watson; 02-15-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 AM
VetteZr
Pro

Thank you for all the help, it is appreciated.
Don

Don
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 AM
VetteZr
Pro

This link is to a very informative site, thanks.

Originally Posted by provette67
Here is a good article on this subject that shows some pictures of the stamps.

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/engine_stamp_numbers.htm
Old 02-15-2017, 12:55 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I have seen some '64 L84 and '66 BB engines that had an engine assembly date and suffix stamped, but no VIN. I was told those were probably over the counter replacements.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikelj
I have seen some '64 L84 and '66 BB engines that had an engine assembly date and suffix stamped, but no VIN. I was told those were probably over the counter replacements.
That's correct!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

After the 5/50 powertrain warranty program ran out, Chevy had many surplus CE stamped engines left over. They were sold to dealers for giveaway prices and the dealers in turn sold them over the counter for whatever the retail customer wanted to do with them.

That's why there were short blocks stamped CE and some not.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
That would be correct for new engine assemblies (not short blocks) that were shipped to dealers or customers during the model year.

Short blocks (partial engine assy's) would not have any stamping at all until around mid or late 1967.

Quite a few new complete 427 425 HP engines were sold to folks that raced boats around that 1966 time period. Those engines would have the Flint or Tonawanda assy stamp.

Here's a pic of a new 63 340 HP that was shipped to someone that installed it in a Ferreri but never driven. The engine was painted Ferrari grey.

After 67 or 68, all replacement partial/short block engines were stamped with the CE sequence, as others have mentioned.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Critter1; 02-15-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Critter1

After 67 or 68, all replacement partial/short block engines were stamped with the CE sequence, as others have mentioned.
What about partial/short block engines that weren't covered under the CE, 5/50 program?

I have a friend that bought a new crate 327/365, carb to pan to flywheel and I don't think it had any stamps of any kind on it. Almost $600 as I recall. The engine is still in his '56 two ten.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
What about partial/short block engines that weren't covered under the CE, 5/50 program?

I have a friend that bought a new crate 327/365, carb to pan to flywheel and I don't think it had any stamps of any kind on it. Almost $600 as I recall. The engine is still in his '56 two ten.
The 5/50 warranty didn't have anything to do with the CE stamp for complete engines. As far as I remember, all complete engine assemblies had the source (Flint/Tonawanda) and date stamped on the pad even back in the early 60's. The parts warehouse didn't have two different part numbers for engines for warranty or customer purchase through the parts system. They were all the same, warranty or service.
If they were different, there would have been two different part numbers in the parts book for each application.

I've never seen a complete engine assembly that didn't have the (Flint/Tonawanda) assembly stamp with date and suffix but anything is possible.

The CE stamp was for warranty on partial engines for service. If someone bought a new 327 short block and put it in their race car, it would have a GM warranty for a certain period of time. (I don't remembert time)

Last edited by Critter1; 02-15-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The CE stamp was for warranty on partial engines for service. If someone bought a new 327 short block and put it in their race car, it would have a GM warranty for a certain period of time. (I don't remembert time)
You remember this different than I do. The CE program didn't start until after the 5/50 powertrain warranty went in to effect in 1967. Short blocks/fitted blocks before that didn't have a code stamp. The service an CE programs were two different programs.

That's to the best of my memory and experience buying a few of them.

I'm sure you remember when Chevrolet cleaned out their warehouses of all the leftover CE engine inventory when the program ran it's course and the dealers were selling them dirt cheap and like hot cakes?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
You remember this different than I do. The CE program didn't start until after the 5/50 powertrain warranty went in to effect in 1967. Short blocks/fitted blocks before that didn't have a code stamp. The service an CE programs were two different programs.

That's to the best of my memory and experience buying a few of them.

I'm sure you remember when Chevrolet cleaned out their warehouses of all the leftover CE engine inventory when the program ran it's course and the dealers were selling them dirt cheap and like hot cakes?
Yes, that's what I said. I probably said it in a confusing way though. The CE stamps didn't begin until around 67 or 68. Short blocks prior to that had blank pads.

Only complete engine assy's had a stamp before 67 and that was the Flint/Tonawanda stamp.

Short blocks started showing up with CE stamps around 67-68, some a little later.

Yes, I remember when GM started cleaning house and sold older short blocks at bargain prices around 1973 or 74. I still have the HOTLINE paperwork that was sent to dealer parts dept's. I still have that one here somewhere. The one below was a 7 page HOTLINE for the LS7 engine assy as an example.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Critter1; 02-15-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about "CE" stamped engines.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

was it machine stamped or were they hand stamped, ie: crooked, uneven stampings
FWIW, Here's a picture of the deck stamp pad on a 427, casting #3963512, date coded L5 9 (Dec. 5 1969) and the starter mount pad stamp is T129 (Tonawanda, Dec. 1969)

It came in a 1969 L71 coupe and presumably is a warranty replacement but, unfortunately, I have no proof of this.

I too would welcome any corrections or additional info regarding this topic.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
FWIW, Here's a picture of the deck stamp pad on a 427, casting #3963512, date coded L5 9 (Dec. 5 1969) and the starter mount pad stamp is T129 (Tonawanda, Dec. 1969)

It came in a 1969 L71 coupe and presumably is a warranty replacement but, unfortunately, I have no proof of this.

I too would welcome any corrections or additional info regarding this topic.
If your engine was a warranty Short block installed by the dealer it would be dated after your car was built but all other parts would be the ones that would have been taken off the original motor as they would be transferred to the new short block. That said no matter who replaced it and for what reason will not make the Corvette worth more than any other non original motor.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Yes, that's what I said. I probably said it in a confusing way though. The CE stamps didn't begin until around 67 or 68. Short blocks prior to that had blank pads.

Only complete engine assy's had a stamp before 67 and that was the Flint/Tonawanda stamp.

Short blocks started showing up with CE stamps around 67-68, some a little later.

Yes, I remember when GM started cleaning house and sold older short blocks at bargain prices around 1973 or 74. I still have the HOTLINE paperwork that was sent to dealer parts dept's. I still have that one here somewhere. The one below was a 7 page HOTLINE for the LS7 engine assy as an example.
Were the L-88 motors also for sale at that time or were they sold later? I remember that a bunch were sold to the company that was making the Excalibur that was on a Corvette frame. I believe they were made in the 80'S.

Last edited by kenba; 02-16-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about "CE" stamped engines.