C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hi Neighbors - C2 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:34 AM
gsholz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give you another data point. I recently purchased a very nice 64 convertible (365hp, 4-speed) incl hard top, matching numbers and an older NCRS top flight winner for 52.5k + BAT auction fees. No regrets. Hagerty values the car around 80-90k. Seems a bit high.

Btw, great informative forum. I have read through over 1500 posts in this forum and have learned a lot.

Last edited by gsholz; 02-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,332 Likes on 889 Posts

This car is in the C2 Registry.

Sold at BJ, Scottsdale, in 2009

https://www.c2registry.org/index.php...te&car_id=3579

I am surprised with the restoration that failed to include a Job Number or photo of the passenger foot well/firewall. If it really is a two owner car the Job# marking should still be intact and visible. The job# and the respective mark done on the assembly line is one aspect unique to each car that is near impossible to "restore."
Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
This car is in the C2 Registry.

Sold at BJ, Scottsdale, in 2009

https://www.c2registry.org/index.php...te&car_id=3579

I am surprised with the restoration that failed to include a Job Number or photo of the passenger foot well/firewall. If it really is a two owner car the Job# marking should still be intact and visible. The job# and the respective mark done on the assembly line is one aspect unique to each car that is near impossible to "restore."
This is awesome..... Thank you very much
Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

At that number the car IMO is way overpriced. If it checks out and is a real fuel car, then I believe the car would sell for 55K-65K max. It is my opinion, and we all know what thats worth, a 63 rag has been the bargain of all mid years....Yes I own the real red headed step child, a 327/365 64 Daytona blue coupe, and until recently a 66 BB Laguna Blue coupe....

Last edited by OldKarz; 02-17-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

I found it on Barrett Jackson's past sale page

Lot 1248.2
Selling Price = $105,600 includes buyer's commissions (not sure how much that is)
Sold as no reserve

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...VERTIBLE-70745

Now what??
Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT

Now what??

The next step is a close visual inspection of that car by a qualified individual. The worth of that car could vary somewhere between breaking it up for parts because of what's hidden under fresh shiny paint or top dollar because it's worthy of big bucks.

When You get that info together, you can get a better answer here. Until then, the "guessers" will give you all kinds of prices as will those that don't prefer a '63 convertible, those that do prefer a '63 convertible and so on and so on.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know what to tell you besides echoing MikeM; schedule an inspection and if the seller balks at that look elsewhere...

I think the seller has placed an unrealistic value on the piece and its damn hard to talk people down from that...

If some testosterone-poisoned fat cat, swilling booze with a trophy wife on his arm wants it at BJ - you may be out of luck..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know what to tell you besides echoing MikeM; schedule an inspection and if the seller balks at that look elsewhere...

I think the seller has placed an unrealistic value on the piece and its damn hard to talk people down from that...

If some testosterone-poisoned fat cat, swilling booze with a trophy wife on his arm wants it at BJ - you may be out of luck..
Sounds good.... Thanks all
Old 02-18-2017, 12:48 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
I found it on Barrett Jackson's past sale page

Lot 1248.2
Selling Price = $105,600 includes buyer's commissions (not sure how much that is)
Sold as no reserve

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...VERTIBLE-70745

Now what??
You now have a verified price, and history, to work with.

2009 was a high price point era as many retiree folks were abandoning the failing stock market and looking for more stable investments... and paying top dollar for a piece of their lost youth. This is more proof that the only good investment potential with a car is provenance and documented rarity, and this car has neither attribute.

The long term potential for the car is enjoyment, and gambling on a buyer at a reasonable price a decade from now.

Many guys will not want to hear this, but restored C2 cars are expected to go down or remain flat in value for the near term future. One reason is the abundance of NOS parts and reproduction parts, and the fact that it is easier to properly restore a C2 now than ever before. Many original unobtainable 63 only parts are now available in reproduction (brake master cylinders, door *****, mirrors, water pumps, etc.). Another reason is discretionary income of people like many here who have the cash to restore cars now, and the desire and tenacity for a restoration project compared to a resto-rod tribute. The supply of quality, NCRS Top Flight quality, restored C2's is still increasing, while the demand is leveling off (or dropping). The other major reason for stale investment potential is the high quality of the current resto-rod and Gran-Sport chassis options. A mid-life enthusiast who wants C2 style is not as comfortable with drum brakes, a gen-1 SBC, manual steering and brakes, seats that let you slide into the passenger, and all that character lacking in modern C4-C7 chassis and driveline/interior upgrades. The hobby is changing, with people demanding modern handling and reliability, following the Model-T, Model-A, Cord-Auburn, and other collector car's pathway where the demand for restoration quality is not valued as much as modern convenience.

This 63 is a very nice car. Any speculation beyond the 20-foot photo appraisal is a risk/reward gamble, unless an expert identifies something of note. Negotiate accordingly.

Nobody ever complains they paid too much twenty years from now (if they enjoy the ride).
Old 02-18-2017, 07:05 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
You now have a verified price, and history, to work with.

2009 was a high price point era as many retiree folks were abandoning the failing stock market and looking for more stable investments... and paying top dollar for a piece of their lost youth. This is more proof that the only good investment potential with a car is provenance and documented rarity, and this car has neither attribute.

The long term potential for the car is enjoyment, and gambling on a buyer at a reasonable price a decade from now.

Many guys will not want to hear this, but restored C2 cars are expected to go down or remain flat in value for the near term future. One reason is the abundance of NOS parts and reproduction parts, and the fact that it is easier to properly restore a C2 now than ever before. Many original unobtainable 63 only parts are now available in reproduction (brake master cylinders, door *****, mirrors, water pumps, etc.). Another reason is discretionary income of people like many here who have the cash to restore cars now, and the desire and tenacity for a restoration project compared to a resto-rod tribute. The supply of quality, NCRS Top Flight quality, restored C2's is still increasing, while the demand is leveling off (or dropping). The other major reason for stale investment potential is the high quality of the current resto-rod and Gran-Sport chassis options. A mid-life enthusiast who wants C2 style is not as comfortable with drum brakes, a gen-1 SBC, manual steering and brakes, seats that let you slide into the passenger, and all that character lacking in modern C4-C7 chassis and driveline/interior upgrades. The hobby is changing, with people demanding modern handling and reliability, following the Model-T, Model-A, Cord-Auburn, and other collector car's pathway where the demand for restoration quality is not valued as much as modern convenience.

This 63 is a very nice car. Any speculation beyond the 20-foot photo appraisal is a risk/reward gamble, unless an expert identifies something of note. Negotiate accordingly.

Nobody ever complains they paid too much twenty years from now (if they enjoy the ride).
No Matter how many parts come into play there are only so many split windows on the market you cant fake that part supply and demand.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Not sure what all that was about....this fella just wanted a nice C2 convertible to drive -- I don't think he expected to retire by flipping it.....
Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
No Matter how many parts come into play there are only so many split windows on the market you cant fake that part supply and demand.
So, do you believe that everyone lusts after one of those cars?

It's possible there is more demand for a '57 Bel Air which is why they make repop bodies.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Gads - lets not go down the split window vs the world again...

And lots of the split window repro parts don't look or fit worth a damn.....shifter consoles, valence heat shields, and on and on...
Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

I was in you position a year ago. Decided we would enjoy the summer of '16 with a C2 vert. Www.usedcorvettesforsale.com became my go to site to get a sense of, first which year did I want, then what's a reasonable value for nice driver. I say reasonable, because after researching for about a year, we were going to own "something" within a month or so. I knew from that site a median price range for a nice driver like what I wanted was 60-75k. AND I accepted the fact that it's likely that after purchasing one I'd see a nicer car for about the same money. Regardless I knew I wouldn't take a 20% hit like I would if I bought a new '16. Also as a C2 newbie, I've learned so much first hand messing and improving my mid pride range '66. I can afford a 100+k '66, but absolutely certain I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as our non-perfect, have fun, 67k, very nice driver with some stone chips. You can absolutely have as much or more fun with a 55-70k, non-fuelie C2. So, glad I'm getting my C2 education from a price point I can flip it at any time and drive the crap out of. Let us know what you think after seeing 40-50 '63s at that website. Best wishes.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:17 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rtruman

​​​​​​​
The thread subject is a roadster.

A beautiful restored roadster.

Apples and oranges.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:22 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Not sure what all that was about....this fella just wanted a nice C2 convertible to drive -- I don't think he expected to retire by flipping it.....
Frankie, the intent was to highlight the 2009 purchasers intent, and how it worked out. The car was not driven, and displayed like a museum piece. The car lost investment value.

​​​​​​​The dealership may have benefited from the attraction value, hopefully breaking even on the sales value difference by other cars sold, but few private owners will share a similar benefit.

The desire of a nice driver, and the fit this car provides, is the owners challenge. We can only add praise for the car condition, and caution regarding the appearance and intended use on future expectation of value.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by 63 340HP; 02-18-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
So, do you believe that everyone lusts after one of those cars?

It's possible there is more demand for a '57 Bel Air which is why they make repop bodies.
Mike I know you thru the years ,and know you sold your coup years ago ,
I know about your convertible
I feel you regret that and hold strong opinions on Split window coups .
I think its always bothers you that you sold it and let it go.
I sold a big block corvette for 13000 and know how it feels.
I had a 57 Chevy thru high school that's all I could afford and always wanted a corvette .

Get notified of new replies

To Hi Neighbors - C2 question

Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Exactly right Frankie

I don't buy to flip, I buy to enjoy. We currently have many vehicles, some newer, and some very nice classics and then some not so nice classics that I'm in the middle of restoring.

Our biggest collection is classic mustangs. We have a 65 coupe, 66 convertible, 67 convertible, two 68 coupes (one early model, one late model) and a 69 convertible. It's already in our will that once my wife and I die each kid will get a specific classic mustang.

As far as the other cars we have, we have a 75 corvette coupe, 2008 C6 convertible, 2012 GT/CS convertible mustang, 2015 Dodge Challeger Scat Pack and a 2016 GT/CS Mustang convertible. Any vehicle like this that we own at the time my wife & I leave this earth it's written into the will that they are to be sold and the money divided up among the kids however if one of the kids wants to buy one of the vehicles they can they just need to pay fair market value for it determined by the executor of the will to be split up among the other 4 kids.

This is all about enjoyment and passing on my love of cars to my kids. I'm well aware I will not get rich from any vehicle nor am I looking to get rich or have any grand illusions that I possibly could.

Some day I will also have a 63 split window coupe, this has been my ultimate goal since my uncle bought one back in 66 and I fell in love with that body style.

Right now in my life however I love convertibles, and I really like 62-67 convertibles. The C2 being discussed here, the reason I'm interested in it besides being nice (yes, I'm working to get it inspected) is that it's a Fuelie which don't come up a lot which is why it really has my interest. If it falls through, it falls through and life goes on, but it's about have a really nice classic that I plan on enjoying verses keeping it in a bubble in the garage holding my breath some day I'll triple my money.

Here are some pics of our cars, so people on this thread are not wondering if I'm feeding you a line. Some are taken at our house, some are taken at my off-site garage.

65 Mustang Coupe, 66 & 69 Mustang convertibles:

2012 GT/CS Mustang & 2015 Dodge Scat Pack

2016 GT/CS Mustang convertible

75 Corvette (restoring)

68 early model coupe

2008 C6 convertible

67 Mustang Convertible

68 late model Mustang coupe (in the middle of restoration)

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 02-19-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:38 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I envy your collection!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:55 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I envy your collection!
and, your "off site" garage. Nice toys; nice space.

Quick Reply: Hi Neighbors - C2 question