C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hi Neighbors - C2 question

Old 02-16-2017, 12:37 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Hi Neighbors - C2 question

Hi All

I currently have a '08 C6 convertible which I plan on keeping. I lurk in the C2 section quite often due to my love for the body styling of the C2 but I've never posted here before.

My question is this..... I've been keeping my eye on a 100% numbers matching 63 convertible with the 360HP FUEL INJECTED 327; M20 Transmission, riverside red exterior / red interior / Black convertible top with the optional hard top and knock off aluminum rims.

The car has been through a complete concourse restoration and the original mileage of the car is 48,464 miles.

It's a beautiful car that has been at a corvette dealer locally for the past 4 years. It's still owned by the owner of the dealership whose uncle originally had it (1 owner). The first couple of years the owner just kept it on the showroom for storage I think with a sticker on it for $129K. For the last two years he lowered it to $124K so he obviously still wasn't ready to sell it.

A couple months back, he dropped the price to $89,997 which according to the Hagerty rep I talked with (I insure several mustangs through them) that is a very good price for that car. The big price drop tells me the owner is finally serious about selling it.

Being owners yourselves you guys are the experts, is that price a good one for this car and would you guys jump on this car if you were in my position.

Thanks

Jim
Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,463 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The standard inquirey exists. Are the details of the car supported with original paperwork/documentation? Cars have been know to slip by sharp eyes that were originally not what they have been advertised to be. The wheels are not and cannot be original to the car per NCRS. How about some hi resolution pics for us. Price wise, cheaper is better and less is even better still. Dennis
Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
The standard inquirey exists. Are the details of the car supported with original paperwork/documentation? Cars have been know to slip by sharp eyes that were originally not what they have been advertised to be. The wheels are not and cannot be original to the car per NCRS. How about some hi resolution pics for us. Price wise, cheaper is better and less is even better still. Dennis
Hi Dennis

Thanks for the response

He's got a full binder of paper work from the restoration (I've gone through it), he has the original invoice, the manual & warranty guide.

Here's the website with tons of pics

http://www.jerryscars.com/inventory/...Dakota/2355307

Thanks Again

Jim

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 02-16-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
It's still owned by the owner of the dealership whose uncle originally had it (1 owner).
I'm not a math whiz, but I think that makes 2 owners.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I'm not a math whiz, but I think that makes 2 owners.
yup.... sorry
Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

1 owner or 2 or 3 or 5, what makes the difference how many owners a car has had? The only thing is the last owner saw something he liked better and decided to sell it to get something different. How ever many owners a car has had does not help or hurt the value of the car. If a car is NCRS Top Flight or Bloomington Gold a lot of people do not like to drive them because they may get a chip in the paint or some dust or dirt on the chassis or motor. What good is the car if it sets in a bubble and never sees the highway?? The thing is you have to decide is you want a never drive show car or you want a nice clean quality driver? That is a question only you can answer and as for Value, a car weather it be this 63 vert or any other car is that it is worth what you are happy paying for it and what the seller is happy selling it for. That is what a car is worth. When buying from a dealer all they want to do is make as much money as they can on any car they cell so they do not car about the car or where they got it or who they sell it to , they just care about how much they can make on that car. This will give you something to think about. Good luck in what ever you decide to do or buy.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Shouldn't a63 with that late a VIN have a Muncie?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

IIRC the Muncies started into production in May of '63 - my May 29th car has an early Muncie.... Not near my documentation but I think that's right...
Old 02-16-2017, 03:16 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Being owners yourselves you guys are the experts, is that price a good one for this car and would you guys jump on this car if you were in my position.

Thanks

Jim[/QUOTE]

To your question--If I wanted the car as much as you do, I would at least make an offer. Or, how you going to feel if somebody else scoops it up?
I can say this because I have no idea whether or not you can afford it.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

A Hagerty rep goosing you towards another classic car purchase he'll get to insure doesn't impress me much. That wouldn't be my data point... I've found other people love spending YOUR money (I'm married to one).

The car wouldn't be worth $90K to me... So, I wouldn't "jump" on it...if the guy lowered the price $40K he may want to move it so go in with an offer YOU think is reasonable...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

In my opinion, yeh I know, it's a very nice well done restored car. I saw two very little things of note. The starter appears to be a rebuilt service replacement of some sort. I saw zip ties holding some plug wires together above the oil filter. I wouldn't be ashamed as the owner, but not at that price. Dennis

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 02-16-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

In my opinion, yeh I know, it's a very nice well done restored car. I saw two very little things of note. The starter appears to be a rebuilt service replacement of some sort. I saw zip ties holding some plug wires together above the oil filter. I wouldn't be ashamed as the owner, but not at that price. Dennis
Good eye - I wasn't 100% sure on the fuel pump being original but none of these are deal-breakers...
Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

[/QUOTE]

To your question--If I wanted the car as much as you do, I would at least make an offer. Or, how you going to feel if somebody else scoops it up?
I can say this because I have no idea whether or not you can afford it.[/QUOTE]

Do I want the car? ... sure, who wouldn't, however If somebody else scoops it up they scoop it and life goes on and some day I'll have a really nice C2 but just not now.

Affording it is no issue at all. I have the money already so either this guy deals on a cash deal (lower than $90K) or I spend that money on a new 2017 C7 Grand Sport convertible.

Either way I'll have another vette this spring.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:59 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Thanks Dennis

I guess the question is, do you feel it's authentic meaning true numbers matching or do you think it's a nicely done Frankenstein?

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 02-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
A Hagerty rep goosing you towards another classic car purchase he'll get to insure doesn't impress me much. That wouldn't be my data point... I've found other people love spending YOUR money (I'm married to one).

The car wouldn't be worth $90K to me... So, I wouldn't "jump" on it...if the guy lowered the price $40K he may want to move it so go in with an offer YOU think is reasonable...
That would be the plan... I never go in to a deal offering full price because there is always room to wiggle in my opinion and if there is not it's just not meant to be.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

IMO. 90k is more than full blown retail for the car. There are many, many more options out there that are a better value for less money. In other words, this is NOT a screaming deal not to be missed. Don't rush anything, and you'll be fine.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:14 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,540 Likes on 2,156 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

That looks like a very nice 63 fuelie convertible. 63 convertibles bring less than 65- 67 convertibles. It's a fuelie, so it brings more than a comparable 63 carb Vette would bring. It appears to be relatively correct, with some deviations.
My best advice would be to have an NCRS member well versed in 63 fuelies give it a thorough inspection and make an informed decision. It might make more sense in the 70ish range, but Inspecting in person and looking at pics are very different.
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Hi Neighbors - C2 question

Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTOguy
IMO. 90k is more than full blown retail for the car. There are many, many more options out there that are a better value for less money. In other words, this is NOT a screaming deal not to be missed. Don't rush anything, and you'll be fine.
Thanks GTOguy

What price point makes this a screaming deal? That's my issue / grey area right now on classic corvettes. If this was a classic mustang (65-69) or camaro (67-74) I could easy put a target price on this car since I've worked on them for many years and own several today.

This being a C2 however I just don't have the comfort level regarding what is a good price point for something like this.

Honestly my gut feel says to lay $45K cash on the desk as a starting point and if I get kicked out the door I guess that was too insulting. If I at least get a counter offer then I know they are serious and willing to negotiate. The missing piece is what is the walk-away point?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good thoughts, but based on a inspection by a knowledgable C-2 '63 person. Dennis
Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Is it just me or do both frame ends look a little imperfect? One shows rust and the other has a circular pattern where it looks like it was welded and finished poorly before paint. I could be wrong. It doesn't look problematic just a detail that could have been done better on a high end restoration.

The car is pretty, and while I don't know what it's truly worth I would feel a $45k offer is insulting for a real fuellie - even though 63/64 convertibles are the most affordable a c2's car for car.

$45k is a fair value for a VERY nice driver matching numbers Hydraulic lifter 63/64 I would guess (not having looked) that a car of this caliber is probably a high $50's/low $60's proposition. I would pay more than $45k for a slick FAKE fuel injected car that presents well and drives out nice.

I note that it doesn't have screws in the leading holes of the rocker moldings. I wonder if the tabs were cut for side exhaust. If it had side exhausts, I wonder what it's other stories are!

benton

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 02-16-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi Neighbors - C2 question