C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1956 Powerglide leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM
GasWorksGarage
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1956 Powerglide leaking

I have a leak it appears to be where the kickdown shaft comes out of the side plate. Does anyone have a diagram of this before I start the process?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 AM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 605 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by GasWorksGarage
I have a leak it appears to be where the kickdown shaft comes out of the side plate. Does anyone have a diagram of this before I start the process?

Thanks
Does this leak occur only when the car is parked for a long time? I believe that the location of the kickdown shaft is above the normal level of the fluid in the pan.

One thing I have learned about the Powerglide is that there is a check valve that prevents fluid in the torque converter from draining back into the pan when the car is parked. If this check valve leaks, the fluid level in the pan will rise when the car is parked, and eventually fluid will leak out around the kickdown shaft and the shifter shaft.

Fixing this problem requires fixing the leaky check valve. A work-around is to start the car periodically to push fluid back into the torque converter.

If you suspect this is the problem, just check the fluid level with the dipstick, *before* you start the engine. If the level is unusually high, it's probably because of drain-back from the torque converter.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I believe most cast iron Powerglides will leak if stored for a month or more.
If you start it from time to time and run through the gears it typically will not leak until it is again stored for a month or more.

Get notified of new replies

To 1956 Powerglide leaking

Quick Reply: 1956 Powerglide leaking